Water membrane

Not really (but in a good way). Yours looks to be almost full width, which is unlike the typical dealer/factory membranes that are asymmetrical and tend to focus on just one side. What you have could be a suitable template to replace the inferior OEM membranes most of us have.

Please provide details of your car. Looks like it's a LHD since the brake master cylinder is on the left. Are you the original owner? Is it a '26 model? Is there a part number for this membrane?

Why don't you "trust" what you already have? It seems to have good coverage for both sides and a snug fit on the duct. How would you improve upon this? I think I would be satisfied if such a membrane was in my Emira instead of the dubious piece that it originally had.
Sure and thank you very much for the feedback!

It is a German car, 05/2023 V6 Manual that i bought a couple weeks ago, so I am not the original owner. (New Owner Post to follow soon ;)) I do not yet have a part number for you, but I will most likely have a look at it again in the upcoming week and provide that.

Based on other pictures of the membrane I saw in this forum I just had the impression that it was not installed or seated really well since the Fusebox and critical other electrical components which are on the passenger side were not really covered by the current solution. Maybe i would have to seat it a little bit better and it does the job, I am not really sure at this point. They way it is installed lets me to believe, that water is able to pool on it and is not really directed to where it should go?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here...I just want to make everything right with this car, it is a dream come true for me.
 
You have good reason not to trust the way that your shroud was installed. One of the two principal components it is supposed to cover and protect from water intrusion is the Fusebox, (on left side of your 1st picture). It was left uncovered and exposed which defeats the purpose of the shroud.
That was the feeling I had as well when looking at it. Will have a go in the upcoming week, whether it will be to try and seat it right or fabricate my own solution.
 
The one thing that keeps coming to mind after reviewing this thread is that these membranes will work to hold moisture as well as repell it --- creating a humid environment with little airflow is likely more troublesome than having no membrane at all. I haven't looked at my 2024 yet, but plan to take a look and see what's up. If anything I'd look to add a seal to the electrical box(s) vs laying / wrapping rubber or silicone sheeting over anything.
 
The one thing that keeps coming to mind after reviewing this thread is that these membranes will work to hold moisture as well as repell it --- creating a humid environment with little airflow is likely more troublesome than having no membrane at all. I haven't looked at my 2024 yet, but plan to take a look and see what's up. If anything I'd look to add a seal to the electrical box(s) vs laying / wrapping rubber or silicone sheeting over anything.
While I accept there’s a possibility of condensation/moisture forming under the membrane, I very much disagree with this statement: “is likely more troublesome than having no membrane at all”

Firstly, there have been numerous cases of cars with major issues with no membrane fitted, mine being one. The results of which are catastrophic I.e. new front loom (which requires dashboard removal, new fuse box, new HeVAC controls etc) and at least two to three months off the road and in a garage. There’s been no reports of cars suffering from moisture after the membrane has been fitted (so far) and some cars have had it fitted for an over 18 months and therefore through both summer and winter. Lastly, as this is a Lotus fix, if condensation formed under the membrane, they’d have to fix it under warranty.
 
While I accept there’s a possibility of condensation/moisture forming under the membrane, I very much disagree with this statement: “is likely more troublesome than having no membrane at all”

Firstly, there have been numerous cases of cars with major issues with no membrane fitted, mine being one. The results of which are catastrophic I.e. new front loom (which requires dashboard removal, new fuse box, new HeVAC controls etc) and at least two to three months off the road and in a garage. There’s been no reports of cars suffering from moisture after the membrane has been fitted (so far) and some cars have had it fitted for an over 18 months and therefore through both summer and winter. Lastly, as this is a Lotus fix, if condensation formed under the membrane, they’d have to fix it under warranty.
Maybe so, but from what I've seen here, the Lotus "fix" is a bandaid, and not what I would consider a fix. I'd be interested to understand the cause of the water intrusion -- what's the main point of entry, does it occur with pressure washing, rain, etc.
EDIT -- just looked under the hood of mine -- 2024 with just shy of 10k miles -- I see a few cracks and a hole on the driver side, the passenger side looks good. No evidence of dry water residue that I see.
 

Attachments

  • 20260626_101553.webp
    20260626_101553.webp
    98.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I'd be interested to understand the cause of the water intrusion -- what's the main point of entry, does it occur with pressure washing, rain, etc.
Do you have an Emira? You can see that the rain running off the windscreen drops straight in there.
 
Maybe so, but from what I've seen here, the Lotus "fix" is a bandaid, and not what I would consider a fix. I'd be interested to understand the cause of the water intrusion -- what's the main point of entry, does it occur with pressure washing, rain, etc.
Yes, It is a band aid, but better than no band aid at all. Yes, Lotus should do a better fix, but until they do…..
 
Do you have an Emira? You can see that the rain running off the windscreen drops straight in there.
LOL, of course I have an Emira...it's actually never seen rain, the only water has been me washing it ( a lot) over the last ~2 yrs.
 
Mine saw more washing than rain and I just got word from the dealer that my car is ready for pickup after I brought it in for the ubiquitous problem of water intrusion into the AC system. It had the membrane installed pre-dealer. I will find out what the dealer did to fix it.
 
This was my fix -- Eternabond tape (namely for RV roof sealing). I recently sealed a joint on my RV and had a bunch of this left over. This stuff has 100C/212F temp rating and is bullet proof. I only had white, but they do make it in black if it matters to you. Once it's covered it's never seen anyway. Be aware, this stuff is VERY sticky once the backing is peeled off. I wiped down the exposed rubber with a damp towel to remove dust, let dry, then applied. I only attached the tape to the OEM membrane, so the entire thing can be cut out if needed. I expect this will last a very, very, long time.
Eternabond Tape Link
 

Attachments

  • c57222dd-7044-4ab5-a6a9-e0217a29fe2e.webp
    c57222dd-7044-4ab5-a6a9-e0217a29fe2e.webp
    103.4 KB · Views: 126
  • eaf1193c-ceac-43c2-8994-f2428bd06a17.webp
    eaf1193c-ceac-43c2-8994-f2428bd06a17.webp
    85.3 KB · Views: 116
  • cb206f91-6ac1-4e6d-b16f-a49560cb88fc.webp
    cb206f91-6ac1-4e6d-b16f-a49560cb88fc.webp
    90.7 KB · Views: 114
  • b75703c7-107a-49d2-bf0e-e442aab96f90.webp
    b75703c7-107a-49d2-bf0e-e442aab96f90.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 41a03cd1-2aa5-4385-aaab-91e155508d6d.webp
    41a03cd1-2aa5-4385-aaab-91e155508d6d.webp
    86.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 2e868553-2d01-42ce-a54a-910590e68fdc.webp
    2e868553-2d01-42ce-a54a-910590e68fdc.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 91372a3a-8d66-4001-be17-deea93321a12.webp
    91372a3a-8d66-4001-be17-deea93321a12.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 106
  • c16b0459-82cd-48b0-af29-cc6b019efa09.webp
    c16b0459-82cd-48b0-af29-cc6b019efa09.webp
    106.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 35a65338-4004-4c29-af90-744c7c96c74c.webp
    35a65338-4004-4c29-af90-744c7c96c74c.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 5cccd2f9-f034-4ff0-ba77-094d6f2da467.webp
    5cccd2f9-f034-4ff0-ba77-094d6f2da467.webp
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,569
I just opened mine up and I don't see any cracks or holes in it, and it's been 2 years. However I noticed I'm missing one of these:

IMG_3604.webp


Which goes here:

IMG_3601.webp

IMG_3600.webp


Anybody have a source for these or a part number?
 
I just opened mine up and I don't see any cracks or holes in it, and it's been 2 years. However I noticed I'm missing one of these:

View attachment 83953

Which goes here:

View attachment 83954
View attachment 83955

Anybody have a source for these or a part number?
I need some of those as well, noticed one missing in the exact same spot. Others do not really lock anymore after turning 90 degrees. Hopefully someone knows where to get them.
 
I just opened mine up and I don't see any cracks or holes in it, and it's been 2 years. However I noticed I'm missing one of these:

View attachment 83953

Which goes here:

View attachment 83954
View attachment 83955

Anybody have a source for these or a part number?
These are notorious for coming out because they're designed poorly -- they snap in from the bottom, meaning when you push on them with a misaligned screw they fall inward toward the ground. Most times these can be found -- get the flashlight out and take a good look.
 
Yeh, I lost one and then found it 3 weeks later sitting on the drive!
 
So I think I found the "quarter turn stud"> Picture-wise, it seems identical to the one you guys are looking for, but I only found a seller located in the UK as per below shown picture. I'm not sure if the measurements are the same, so check it out and if so, you can order them although they only come in packages of 100. I'd suggest one of you buying and sharing the cost unless you'd like to have 99 left over for future additional losses 😉. If the company doesn't deliver to the US and they could get them delivered to my address here in Portugal before July 3rd, I'd be glad to take them with me to the States and thereafter mail them to each of you. If they are indeed the correct size, and can't be delivered there just DM me.


tempImage443Hi3.webp
 
The one I have is 19mm long, but they are a slightly loose fit in the hole. Maybe a 20 would be more snug which would actually be better. Too bad they don't sell them in quantities of 10 or 12. I'd be okay with replacing all of them if these fit better.
 
The one I have is 19mm long, but they are a slightly loose fit in the hole. Maybe a 20 would be more snug which would actually be better. Too bad they don't sell them in quantities of 10 or 12. I'd be okay with replacing all of them if these fit better.
I'm wondering if the 1mm variance, being such a minimal one, means that they are actually the same ones, or as you say, they would fit anyway, just a bit more snugly. The other important dimension is the plastic trim cover's thickness. The ones being sold are for panels no thicker than 3.5mm.
Btw, I just checked on their UK site and actually the seller does not deliver outside the UK. Perhaps one of our UK-based forum members would be kind enough to check for fitting, order them and then send them to you folks in the US. If split in smaller amounts (of say some 5 pieces each) they can probably be mailed in a letter-size envelope. Just a suggestion.
 
These are notorious for coming out because they're designed poorly -- they snap in from the bottom, meaning when you push on them with a misaligned screw they fall inward toward the ground. Most times these can be found -- get the flashlight out and take a good look.
None have gotten loose on me yet, but from your and others' experience with them coming loose, simply as a precautionary measure, the next time I remove those covers, I'm going to place some heat resistant glue in the perimeter of those plastic pieces to keep them firmly in place. This (below) is the type of glue I use for this kind of fix.

tempImage7L6ZnH.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top