Water membrane

In which model year did Lotus introduce the water membrane? To dealers routinely retrofit to previous MYs? Thanks

I was told my car was the first at the dealership in Bristol to have a water membrane fitted and that was around April 2024 after they changed the wiring harness fuse box and hvac, so it’s 2 years + and still no permanent solution from Lotus ☹️
 
A bit late to this thread. Will tyvek be a suitable alternative material for the task? I have an old tyvek car cover that I can cut up.
 
A bit late to this thread. Will tyvek be a suitable alternative material for the task? I have an old tyvek car cover that I can cut up.
Unfortunately it can shrink and get damaged under high temperatures. It's also not entirely water proof like rubber or silicone. .
 
Was doing my 2 year (+a few months) maintenance/filter inspection and oil change this weekend. First time Ive had the front bonnet open after I redid (the day after) the awful positioning the dealer did when they installed the membrane. My membrane looked/felt like new after 2 years. It doesnt see rain or really get wet. Guess I'm lucky with the condition of it. Definitely think the designs here are an improvement over the lousy Lotus one.
 
Hello mate, how are you getting on with your design?
I completed the other side on that picture, but I haven't had much free time so no new pictures. I was on the track two days ago and I don't have anything bad to report.

If you want to keep the plastic shrouds on both sides, you will need to bend the plate so it won't look very pretty. To be fair, the only important shield is the one in the middle for the air intake so I personally chose to ditch the other two.
  • The drainage tubes on that middle shroud would benefit from having elbows. Right now the fitment is very tight.
  • Having one single plate would be easier to fabricate, but I think it would make maintenance too complicated.
  • Still need to make a longer electrical connector for one of the nozzles. I'm not quite sure what their purpose is other than preventing the nozzles from freezing?
  • The hood is still very much secured despite removing the bracket in the center.
 
I completed the other side on that picture, but I haven't had much free time so no new pictures. I was on the track two days ago and I don't have anything bad to report.

If you want to keep the plastic shrouds on both sides, you will need to bend the plate so it won't look very pretty. To be fair, the only important shield is the one in the middle for the air intake so I personally chose to ditch the other two.
  • The drainage tubes on that middle shroud would benefit from having elbows. Right now the fitment is very tight.
  • Having one single plate would be easier to fabricate, but I think it would make maintenance too complicated.
  • Still need to make a longer electrical connector for one of the nozzles. I'm not quite sure what their purpose is other than preventing the nozzles from freezing?
  • The hood is still very much secured despite removing the bracket in the center.
Thanks for the update. Your design definitely looks to be the best version. Keep it going!! 👍👍
 
Can the membrane experts on this thread please let me know if mine might have been installed incorrectly at the factory? I was under the hood earlier today and it seems that the membrane was underneath a component that looks like it might be the fuse box (circled in red)? Thanks for any advice.

17269.webp
 
Circled is not fuse box which is on other side; open connector (on mine too); I covered with baggie/zip tied tight; other exposed connectors did same.......
membrane install...............?? doesn't look great to me, but not entirely visible..........
 
Can the membrane experts on this thread please let me know if mine might have been installed incorrectly at the factory? I was under the hood earlier today and it seems that the membrane was underneath a component that looks like it might be the fuse box (circled in red)? Thanks for any advice.
Your membrane looks ripped. It's probably cracked and is letting water though. Without seeing the whole thing I can't be sure though.
 
Can the membrane experts on this thread please let me know if mine might have been installed incorrectly at the factory? I was under the hood earlier today and it seems that the membrane was underneath a component that looks like it might be the fuse box (circled in red)? Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 87903


yes, this is not a fuse box, like stated before, the fuse box is on the other side.
But, it does appear that your membrane is ripped, where the yellow wires and green marker right below reservoir are located. Membrane should dive under that metal support beam and wrap over those yellow wires and under the reservoir.
 
I work with a company that creates rubber seals in different materials, depending on the specs, for the yachting industry. I can ask if they can produce the membrane to spec using Kimmax drawing (obviously with his permission). it's worth a try for people in the States.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top