Water membrane

After reading through this thread, I'm still not 100% on which components are concern for water ingress and need shielding on a LHD model.

However, I popped my frunk to look at the water membrane that had been installed on my car by the dealer while with the previous owner.

If there's anything under the brake reservoir or if the passenger side fuse box and wiring needs to be protected, this isn't doing much. It also seems like the membrane would channel a good bit of the water towards the scuttle/firewall (unsure if that's by design). On a side note, the torx head screws securing the pollen filter cover were different sizes and lengths side/side which seems sloppy.
IMG_9216.webp

IMG_9217.webp
 
Are you worried about water pouring right onto that fan?
No. The picture posted of my car was taken before the covers were re-installed to show the membrane's extended coverage. You can't even see the membrane once the covers are back in place, and they also keep the membrane in place.

If water into the fan was a problem, then the OEM plastic covers would cause the same issue.

Mine is installed the same as in the video above, and the same as many in this thread have installed them. However, I used the expensive silicone material, which is more heat resistant and not prone to cracking like rubber.
 
Last edited:
19351.webp

As I was washing my car yesterday I was thinking...hrmm water membrane thread lol. This photo serves only one purpose to bring some levity, and yes I will definitely buy the third party membrane when it's for sale. Dealer just replaced my stock one last week, mine was torn up and in little pieces.
 
I do not use the above method for washing the car specifically for the water intrusion reason. I have PPF and ceramic coating and don't need to. It takes much more water to remove all that foam.

I spray away from vents below the windshield when rinsing using a low psi power washer which uses much less water.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kaz
I do not use the above method for washing the car specifically for the water intrusion reason. I have PPF and ceramic coating and don't need to. It takes much more water to remove all that foam.

I spray away from vents below the windshield when rinsing using a low psi power washer which uses much less water.
...but it's so fun! that's Quivr Rogue soap, smells amazing. I do the whole process, prewash foam with Bilt Hamber, rinse, contact foam, rinse with DI water, blow dry with Ego, Yum or OG drying aid. It's just meditation, the new membrane will give me more peace of mind but in meantime the car has been through torrential rain and countless pressure washes. I think I will do what @docron illustrated, looks very comprehensive. Planning on dual pressure washer setup soon so will be good timing -
 
So sealing cowl edge with silicone should offer a little more water ingress protection!


26261.webp



The extreme outside edges of the cowl grille does have a gap where water could overflow into but even if that happens, there are no critical parts under that area.
1785790287256.webp
 
Thanks for testing it! I am glad that idea works!! Not a replacement to a decent membrane, but surely helps!
 
Its almost like people on here are doing the Lotus development for them !!! :)
Maybe we should point out this thread to certain Lotus employees
 
Its almost like people on here are doing the Lotus development for them !!! :)
Maybe we should point out this thread to certain Lotus employees
I know what you mean!!
Often big companies will release a half baked product, sit back and let the consumer sort it, so they can then release a 'better' version!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
 
I know what you mean!!
Often big companies will release a half baked product, sit back and let the consumer sort it, so they can then release a 'better' version!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Kind of like most of the changes to the 420 sport, basically crowdsourced from this forum eh?
 
Kind of like most of the changes to the 420 sport, basically crowdsourced from this forum eh?
You’d think they would have sorted it with the Evora
 
Alright, I can ship 1.5mm EPDM in a reasonable timeframe for maximum 80€, probably less.

To get it priced in and to figure out shipping I'd like to ask you guys to log your theoretical order qty and delivery country in this form:
https://forms.gle/dWRQpiEhjqRYDsLq9

No log-in, payment or names required. Completely non-binding. Just so I can plan quantities :)

Thanks!
Did this ever happen
 
Did this ever happen
No mate, I don't think it did
Not yet, but will. Unfortunately had to deal with someone hitting my car parking and having that repaired, so it trashed my time plan
I should be able to open orders in the next days :)

Actual next days, not Lotus days........... :ROFLMAO:
 
Note- I was laughing at the timescale and NOT your car getting crashed into!! 😬🤣
 
In which model year did Lotus introduce the water membrane? To dealers routinely retrofit to previous MYs? Thanks
 
Couldnt tell you when they started being fitted as standard, but all cars should have had it fitted retrospectively by now, as dealers should be doing so, as soon as they see the car. They have been available for at least 18 months
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top