Water membrane

The only way to know for sure is if you open up the front and remove the covers to expose the membrane. Then photo it and post here.

When I was at the factory in early June the cars on the production line appeared to have the same membrane being fitted.

Also the photos I've seen of cars on the production line from the Lotus Family Open Day on the 18th July again show a membrane that looks the same.

If there is something different being fitted in the last month it would have to be just a material change.
Thanks, i didn`t think they had installed anything amazing and it saves me trying to pull the car apart :)
 
Thanks, i didn`t think they had installed anything amazing and it saves me trying to pull the car apart :)
It's actually quite easy to do. I opened up the front 3 days after getting the car to see what was under there. The hardest part is reaching the centre screw.
There is a tool in the kit in the boot to undo the screws but I eventually bought a T-handled tool to make it easier.
Putting the wipers in maintenance mode vertical position also make it easier.
1785230746514.webp
 
Will be interesting to see if the 420 has any modifications that make the membrane redundant.
First person to get one needs to pst pics of under the hood with the plastic covers removed to see what's under there.
 
Unless they've made changes on all models, there's no reason to believe that the 420 will be any different. It would need to be a change to all models to be assembly line and supply chain cost-effective/efficient.
 
Question - so I'm due to pick up my (new to me) V6 FE in about 6 weeks and I'm terrified of washing it due to all this membrane stuff!! It's a 2023 model and has had the bib fitted having only done 1717 miles, but clearly the bibs are not up to much!! One of the first things I was going to do was to take it to a professional detailer and get it done. Now I'm frightened of when they wash it, they may flood the HVAC stuff and/ or fusebox... Should I trust the bib, or just avoid ALL water including rain until I modify the bib?!? Any advice welcome!!
 
Question - so I'm due to pick up my (new to me) V6 FE in about 6 weeks and I'm terrified of washing it due to all this membrane stuff!! It's a 2023 model and has had the bib fitted having only done 1717 miles, but clearly the bibs are not up to much!! One of the first things I was going to do was to take it to a professional detailer and get it done. Now I'm frightened of when they wash it, they may flood the HVAC stuff and/ or fusebox... Should I trust the bib, or just avoid ALL water including rain until I modify the bib?!? Any advice welcome!!
Just check the bib really is in place and check there's no cracks in it before you have it washed. Some waterproof tape can be used if needed over any cracks as a temporary measure.
It'll take you 5 minutes to undo the 3 bolts holding the front hatch in place. The car comes with a tool to undo these in the pack in the boot. Be careful with the alignment when you tighten the bolts back down.
 
Question - so I'm due to pick up my (new to me) V6 FE in about 6 weeks and I'm terrified of washing it due to all this membrane stuff!! It's a 2023 model and has had the bib fitted having only done 1717 miles, but clearly the bibs are not up to much!! One of the first things I was going to do was to take it to a professional detailer and get it done. Now I'm frightened of when they wash it, they may flood the HVAC stuff and/ or fusebox... Should I trust the bib, or just avoid ALL water including rain until I modify the bib?!? Any advice welcome!!
The bib will work as designed as long as it is not torn or cracked. You have six weeks to have it checked and replaced (or patched up with tape). No need to cancel your detailer appointment.
 
Question - so I'm due to pick up my (new to me) V6 FE in about 6 weeks and I'm terrified of washing it due to all this membrane stuff!! It's a 2023 model and has had the bib fitted having only done 1717 miles, but clearly the bibs are not up to much!! One of the first things I was going to do was to take it to a professional detailer and get it done. Now I'm frightened of when they wash it, they may flood the HVAC stuff and/ or fusebox... Should I trust the bib, or just avoid ALL water including rain until I modify the bib?!? Any advice welcome!!
I've washed my car numerous times, fully aware of the water intrusion concerns. Thus, I was carefully watching for how much water was possibly flowing down the windshield and potentially into the vents over the electronics.

With the proper rinsing technique, I found nothing to be concerned about. I use a low pressure (1600 psi), electric portable-washer hooked to a spotless water system. The advantage of the power-washer is that it rinses more effectively using much less water than an open hose.

I make sure I don't direct water toward the hood vent areas, and the water that does run down the windshield quickly runs out of the water drains on each side, and away from the electronics. Water never rose even close to the vents in the center area of that tray under the wipers, where it would be a concern.

In a heavy downpour, with the car parked outside, things might be different, but car washing can be done without channeling water through those hood vents located over the top of critical electronics. With the car in motion during a rain storm, most of the water is blown backwards and away from the vents.
 
Last edited:
I've washed my car numerous times, fully aware of the water intrusion concerns. Thus, I was carefully watching for how much water was possibly flowing down the windshield and potentially into the vents over the electronics.

With the proper rinsing technique, I found nothing to be concerned about. I use a low pressure (1600 psi), electric portable-washer hooked to a spotless water system. The advantage of the power-washer is that it rinses more effectively using much less water than an open hose.

I make sure I don't direct a lot of water toward the hood vent areas, and the water that does run down the windshield quickly runs out of the water drains on each side, and away from the electronics. Water never rose even close to the vents in the center area of that tray under the wipers, where it would be a concern.

In a heavy downpour, with the car parked outside, things might be different, but car washing can be done without channeling water through those hood vents located over the top of critical electronics. With the car in motion during a rain storm, most of the water is blown backwards and away from the vents.
Thanks for the reassurance! We're currently in a heatwave in the UK but that will soon end by the time I pick the car up... Typical!! 🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
 
Sharing my additional water chanelling enhancements. ELectrical tape that forces the water to the intended channel. Works great so far. I know i may need to replace it once in a while.
56086.webp
 
Good idea...I was about to tape the area off and caulk it RWB style.

Sharing my additional water chanelling enhancements. ELectrical tape that forces the water to the intended channel. Works great so far. I know i may need to replace it once in a while.
View attachment 85928
 
Sharing my additional water chanelling enhancements. ELectrical tape that forces the water to the intended channel. Works great so far. I know i may need to replace it once in a while.
View attachment 85928
Good idea!! I really like this fix! it’s really easy to do and check on, and replace every once in a while.
 
Sharing my additional water chanelling enhancements. ELectrical tape that forces the water to the intended channel. Works great so far. I know i may need to replace it once in a while.
You could try butyl tape instead of electrical tape - that might last a little longer.
 
Prior to having a water membrane fitted I washed my car with a low pressure washer( I have had full PPF over the car and didn’t want to disturb the edges so very careful with the washer) and only took my car out on days it wasn’t raining, I still ended up with having my wiring harness with fuse box and HVAC being replaced due to water ingress so don’t take a chance so check the membrane and anything else you can do to deflect water is a bonus or you could end up weeks without your car and be 4k+£$ down 🤔
 
Prior to having a water membrane fitted I washed my car with a low pressure washer( I have had full PPF over the car and didn’t want to disturb the edges so very careful with the washer) and only took my car out on days it wasn’t raining, I still ended up with having my wiring harness with fuse box and HVAC being replaced due to water ingress so don’t take a chance so check the membrane and anything else you can do to deflect water is a bonus or you could end up weeks without your car and be 4k+£$ down 🤔
Hi Tony, I take it the water ingress was due to washing the car then? Also, did you check the membrane periodically? I'm just super paranoid about mine... 😬
 
Prior to having a water membrane fitted I washed my car with a low pressure washer( I have had full PPF over the car and didn’t want to disturb the edges so very careful with the washer) and only took my car out on days it wasn’t raining, I still ended up with having my wiring harness with fuse box and HVAC being replaced due to water ingress so don’t take a chance so check the membrane and anything else you can do to deflect water is a bonus or you could end up weeks without your car and be 4k+£$ down 🤔
Same questions as the poster above:
1) Was your early production car, prior to having the membrane fitted, driven in, or sitting outside during rainstorms.?
2) Can you conclusively state this was due just to car washing?

I think the worst case water intrusion scenario is a car parked motionless outside in the rain for extended periods. While in motion, most of the water is channeled away.

With the pressure washer, I do not spray the windshield allowing water to run down the windshield, spray the top backwards, and the hood forward away from the vents. Glass is easy to clean manually without water.

An extended silcone-rubber membrane was installed on my 2026 at 600 miles. It was installed over the OEM membrane, and unlike the OEM membrane, covers the area of the fuse box and HVAC relay.
 
Last edited:
Mine was an early car and didn’t have the water membrane fitted I didn’t know how bad the design was regarding water run off, it didn’t even cross my mind then and I didn’t use excessive water but whatever went on the windscreen run onto the wiring harness, fuse box and HVAC, It was replaced under warranty and I was the first at my dealership to have the membrane fitted and I haven’t had a problem since
I will keep an eye on it and replace when necessary but I am hoping that Lotus will come up with a proper solution and it will be sorted under recall, but I am not holding my breath
 
I should have said- the water membrane part is at the 9 min mark 👍👍
 
I recut my membrane from a raw piece of EPDM this weekend. I started from the vent cutout and worked from there. This revised one goes from side to side fully, over the fuse box completely on all sides and above the level of the cowl slots.

I also put a bead of silicone adhesive sealant under the edge of the grille and along the windshield side edge of the grille so that no water will drain in the slots. Only hopefully directed to the water drainage channels.

Wiped down grille bottom edge and cowl with alcohol before laying beads of silicone. I will do water test sometime this week, car is still immobilized waiting for tuned ECU to return back to me.

IMG_2699.webp


IMG_2697.webp


IMG_2710.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top