Water membrane

In connection to my previous post I tried to fabricate my own solution yesterday.

This was the (seemingly) original part that i took out, which didnt have a part number on it:

IMG_3498.webp


Out of 1.2mm epdm I tried to fabricate my own shroud based on the measurements that were provided in this thread. I altered the measurements a little bit after fabricating a template and figuring i might need the membrane a little bit larger in some places. Finally, this is what I came up with:
IMG_3512.webp

IMG_3515.webp

To mount it, I used the top screw on the left and right side and in the middle I made a slight cut and mounted it with zip ties (I know, not the most elegant solution, but I hope it does the job):
IMG_3506.webp

IMG_3509.webp


I am really curious as to what you think about my solution. Please feel free to tell me if its shit, then I would have another go to try and improve:LOL:
 
In connection to my previous post I tried to fabricate my own solution yesterday.

This was the (seemingly) original part that i took out, which didnt have a part number on it:

View attachment 84127

Out of 1.2mm epdm I tried to fabricate my own shroud based on the measurements that were provided in this thread. I altered the measurements a little bit after fabricating a template and figuring i might need the membrane a little bit larger in some places. Finally, this is what I came up with:
View attachment 84128
View attachment 84129
To mount it, I used the top screw on the left and right side and in the middle I made a slight cut and mounted it with zip ties (I know, not the most elegant solution, but I hope it does the job):
View attachment 84130
View attachment 84131

I am really curious as to what you think about my solution. Please feel free to tell me if its shit, then I would have another go to try and improve:LOL:
I think that's a great looking job you've done there!! 👍 The only observation I have from the photo's you've taken, is that there looks to be 1 or 2 flat spots which could lead to pooling of water? I don't know if this is ever something that could be completely overcome due to the nature of what's underneath the cover...
 
I feel like venting now! This has got to be the most frustrating or most stupid discussion that we are all stressing over.
I've hosed down my 911 engine with water and never had any issues....even my audi and Toyota, etc...we are a trying to fix a problem that lotus is responsible for.

Now my tech says if u do the membrane mod I have to put it on top of the OEM one or lotus could deny coverage if anything goes wrong...

Putting a zip tie is a great idea to keep it in place and to maintain a better slope for the water .....but the problem is the holes along the hood mounts and windshield wiper sprays are all huge channels for water to get in anyway.
What about water getting shot up from the bottom? There are large cut outs on the under panel that will let water in if u go driving thru a puddle.

Probably the best solution is to ziplock bag each of the known failure points rather than cover everything with a plastic sheet like an old lady with her couch.
I just felt like ranting ...had to let it out. ....
 
I feel like venting now! This has got to be the most frustrating or most stupid discussion that we are all stressing over.
I've hosed down my 911 engine with water and never had any issues....even my audi and Toyota, etc...we are a trying to fix a problem that lotus is responsible for.

Now my tech says if u do the membrane mod I have to put it on top of the OEM one or lotus could deny coverage if anything goes wrong...

Putting a zip tie is a great idea to keep it in place and to maintain a better slope for the water .....but the problem is the holes along the hood mounts and windshield wiper sprays are all huge channels for water to get in anyway.
What about water getting shot up from the bottom? There are large cut outs on the under panel that will let water in if u go driving thru a puddle.

Probably the best solution is to ziplock bag each of the known failure points rather than cover everything with a plastic sheet like an old lady with her couch.
I just felt like ranting ...had to let it out. ....
Wow...Okaaay, not really sure anyone is "getting stressed" here buddy 😬

I'd say more just trying to fix a problem. Yes it's a Lotus problem, but if we were holding our breath for them to sort it, we'd all be dead by now!! Surely being proactive rather than reactive is better, no? Why wait for the fault to happen, then face a potential warranty argument, or worse still, if the car is out of warranty, being faced with an expensive repair bill...

I'd say if this particular thread is causing YOU that much stress/ frustration/ anger, then personally I'd just stop reading it 🤣🤣

All the best 👍👍
 
In connection to my previous post I tried to fabricate my own solution yesterday.

This was the (seemingly) original part that i took out, which didnt have a part number on it:

View attachment 84127

Out of 1.2mm epdm I tried to fabricate my own shroud based on the measurements that were provided in this thread. I altered the measurements a little bit after fabricating a template and figuring i might need the membrane a little bit larger in some places. Finally, this is what I came up with:
View attachment 84128
View attachment 84129
To mount it, I used the top screw on the left and right side and in the middle I made a slight cut and mounted it with zip ties (I know, not the most elegant solution, but I hope it does the job):
View attachment 84130
View attachment 84131

I am really curious as to what you think about my solution. Please feel free to tell me if its shit, then I would have another go to try and improve:LOL:
Looks good overall. The depression under the center of the latching/windshield spray component bothered me-?water could flow rearward?-appeared to slope rearward so I placed foam blocks underneath taped onto the plastic covering underneath; lifted membrane to slope forward for water flow; made me feel better
 
What exactly is being compromised by water intrusion? Is it the fuse box? Wiring connectors? If anyone who's had their system compromised, and had Lotus replace the wiring harness and/or fuse box, can you post pictures if you have them? To me, it would be worth the effort to just seal the specific areas that need it, rather than cover everything with a rubber blanket like the solution Lotus came up with.
 
Last edited:
What exactly is being compromised by water intrusion? Is it the fuse box? Wiring connectors? If anyone who's had their system compromised, and had Lotus replace the wiring harness and/or fuse box, can you post pictures if you have them? To me, it would be worth the effort to just seal the specific areas that need it, rather than cover everything with a rubber blanket like the solution Lotus came up with.
I believe it is the A/C fuse box and electrics, heater box resistor pack & maybe a few other connectors. I don't think I have missed anything.
Several people have had issues with corrosion caused by water ingress to all these and have had it fixed under warranty - if you search the forums you can find them.
You are correct a better solution would be to seal all of these parts rather than add this bib. But I am not sure how easy it is to do that.
 
I'll try and take some detailed pics this weekend when i have the plastic pieces and OEM membrane off.
 
I haven't looked into it, but the Evora's system must be completely different and quite a bit less sophisticated. Nonetheless, I would be surprised that the Evora's system suffers from this widespread problem.

I'm picking up my Emira today from the dealer and will find out exactly what they did to fix my HVAC. Then I will be adding a full-length water-shedding membrane over the existing one.
 
What exactly is being compromised by water intrusion? Is it the fuse box? Wiring connectors? If anyone who's had their system compromised, and had Lotus replace the wiring harness and/or fuse box, can you post pictures if you have them? To me, it would be worth the effort to just seal the specific areas that need it, rather than cover everything with a rubber blanket like the solution Lotus came up with.
Have a look at my post 86 on this thread,The faults caused by water cascading over the fuse box wiring harness and HVAC unit due to Lotus bad design department, The water membrane fix don’t look great but does the job you just need to replace the membrane as and when the cracks/ holes appear or you will have a few issues effecting your car mostly resulting in a few weeks back and fore the dealership.
Not forgetting all the running around organising the repair and sorting out a courtesy car while your car is weeks in the dealership
Pour water over the windscreen with the bonnet/hood up it will give you an idea of where you need to be protecting. I was without my car for around 5 weeks ☹️
 
Mine was affected. The car wouldn’t start at all and every warning light was lit. The water had got into the front fuse box, the front loom and the HeVAC resistor pack. If water gets into the front loom, it’s a major strip down job that requires the interior (seats, dashboard and carpets) to be removed. And of course many items under the frunk as well.
 
I believe it is the A/C fuse box and electrics, heater box resistor pack & maybe a few other connectors. I don't think I have missed anything.
Several people have had issues with corrosion caused by water ingress to all these and have had it fixed under warranty - if you search the forums you can find them.
You are correct a better solution would be to seal all of these parts rather than add this bib. But I am not sure how easy it is to do that.
Seems to me it would be worth it to do it once and do it right. Looks like I've got another project ahead of me lol.
 
What exactly is being compromised by water intrusion? Is it the fuse box? Wiring connectors? If anyone who's had their system compromised, and had Lotus replace the wiring harness and/or fuse box, can you post pictures if you have them? To me, it would be worth the effort to just seal the specific areas that need it, rather than cover everything with a rubber blanket like the solution Lotus came up with.
The first 8 minutes of this video provides a pretty good idea and visual of the 2 components at risk of water intrusion. The shroud is obviously a less-than-ideal band aid fix. Coming up with a better water seal solution for the fuse box could perhaps be an easier task, but addressing the waterproofing of the HVAC box and harnesses presents a bit more of a challenge, particularly because it would require removing it and disconnecting all hoses and wiring.

 
Video above -- looks like the brake fluid reservoir and fuse box is mounted to the opposite side compared to a USA spec Emira, I don't know if that makes any world of difference though.
 
Video above -- looks like the brake fluid reservoir and fuse box is mounted to the opposite side compared to a USA spec Emira, I don't know if that makes any world of difference though.
I'm guessing the resistor is still on the driver's side in US cars.....when I looked, all I can see is the wiring plug/ loom on the passenger side below the fuse box. The way the OEM membrane is set up ...water pools and falls directly on to the wiring loom.
can anyone confirm the resistor position?
 
Ok, here’s my before pictures…stock membrane.

IMG_2467.webp


IMG_2473.webp



You can see where the water was channeling/draining with that dirt stain.
 
Here are the components under the membrane and under cowl from right to left.

IMG_2478.webp


IMG_2480.webp


IMG_2482.webp


IMG_2483.webp



The fuse box cover had pretty steep declined slope from rear to front. To get water in there, the cover would have to be not seated well. The clips that held on the fusebox cover were kind of flimsy though, not solid latching.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top