Water membrane

For all u guys who already did the membrane wide side to side.....is the material ok with the heating and coolant lines going by the fuse box? It can get real hot
 
Has anyone purchased material to do this themselves yet? It’s not worth driving to the dealer for me.
 
I really appreciate what others have done here, sharing designs and such... is anyone up for doing a how-to video for dummies? maybe you @Savanna7 ? 🙏😃

I want to do this properly, but still lack a bit of confidence in disassembling bits of my baby, and watching it on video (rather than just relying on a "just remove this and that" instruction) really helps me get through that confidence barrier :)

EDIT: weirdly, I have been totally fine doing other mods like the short shifter, and the full floating console, but this one has me hesitating... maybe trauma from past wiper removals not going smoothly.
 
Last edited:
I just installed 1/16" silicone from home depot. On the advice from my lotus dealer tech. I left the OEM in place and put the new one on top. He said if anything ever goes bad they can't blame the the mod for the failure.

After really looking at the OEM one. They actually have it set up ok. The only thing is the fuse box and wiring loom below is exposed.
I don't know how lazy lotus is that they only have 2 loose latches on the fuse box that can wiggle open and no weather seal in the channel ......there is a channel for a rubber seal for crying out loud .

I may go in and trim away some silicone from the heating and coolant lines.

Btw. Silicone stretches alot. Cut the hole for the air filter under sized. Mine is way too loose.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260620_164148.webp
    IMG_20260620_164148.webp
    174.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I just installed 1/16" silicone from home depot. On the advice from my lotus dealer tech. I left the OEM in place and put the new one on top. He said if anything ever goes bad they can't blame the the mod for the failure.

After really looking at the OEM one. They actually have it set up ok. The only thing is the fuse box and wiring lume below is exposed.
I don't know how lazy lotus is that they only have 2 loose latches on the fuse box that can wiggle open and no weather seal in the channel ......there is a channel for a rubber seal for crying out loud .

I may go in and trim away some silicone from the heating and coolant lines.

Btw. Silicone stretches alot. Cut the hole for the air filter under sized. Mine is way too loose.
its cool when it feels like the Lotus tech is on your side. Good on them.
 
For once I got a tech that goes thru the forums unlike my Porsche techs who say the forums are like self diagnosing on webmd. They hate it when someone comes in saying .."the Internet says......"
 
For once I got a tech that goes thru the forums unlike my Porsche techs who say the forums are like self diagnosing on webmd. They hate it when someone comes in saying .."the Internet says......"
Of course they do. It makes their job easier, so less technical, so less time, so less money.
 
I really appreciate what others have done here, sharing designs and such... is anyone up for doing a how-to video for dummies? maybe you @Savanna7 ? 🙏😃

I want to do this properly, but still lack a bit of confidence in disassembling bits of my baby, and watching it on video (rather than just relying on a "just remove this and that" instruction) really helps me get through that confidence barrier :)

EDIT: weirdly, I have been totally fine doing other mods like the short shifter, and the full floating console, but this one has me hesitating... maybe trauma from past wiper removals not going smoothly.
I’d be happy to! I wonder if this wasn’t the cause of my limp mode issue at LvD.
 
Alright, I can ship 1.5mm EPDM in a reasonable timeframe for maximum 80€, probably less.

To get it priced in and to figure out shipping I'd like to ask you guys to log your theoretical order qty and delivery country in this form:
https://forms.gle/dWRQpiEhjqRYDsLq9

No log-in, payment or names required. Completely non-binding. Just so I can plan quantities :)

Thanks!
 
View attachment 83751
Hi Kim,
Can you confirm the angles are correct, I make it 61 and 151 ?
Thanks
Neil
They are not 100% correct as I did some rounding up from millimeter precision. In my case I didn’t even measure them before cutting but draw the top and lower part and then just connected the sides.

In reality it doesn’t really matter much as the sheet extends below the fenders anyway so it only needs to be a rough fit :)

I’ll redo and improve the drawing "to scale" again before production of the sheets to be sold. Will publish the drawing again. But I don’t think you need to wait for that, as-is should be good enough
 
Alright, I can ship 1.5mm EPDM in a reasonable timeframe for maximum 80€, probably less.

To get it priced in and to figure out shipping I'd like to ask you guys to log your theoretical order qty and delivery country in this form:
https://forms.gle/dWRQpiEhjqRYDsLq9

No log-in, payment or names required. Completely non-binding. Just so I can plan quantities :)

Thanks!
Thanks very much for sorting this out dude. I've filled in the form 👍
 
I just opened the hood to check out the Membrane…is that normal? I will most definetly fabricate my own as i dont really trust
IMG_3462.webp
the current Solution 😁
IMG_3460.webp
 
I just opened the hood to check out the Membrane…is that normal?

Not really (but in a good way). Yours looks to be almost full width, which is unlike the typical dealer/factory membranes that are asymmetrical and tend to focus on just one side. What you have could be a suitable template to replace the inferior OEM membranes most of us have.

Please provide details of your car. Looks like it's a LHD since the brake master cylinder is on the left. Are you the original owner? Is it a '26 model? Is there a part number for this membrane?

Why don't you "trust" what you already have? It seems to have good coverage for both sides and a snug fit on the duct. How would you improve upon this? I think I would be satisfied if such a membrane was in my Emira instead of the dubious piece that it originally had.
 
Last edited:
I just opened the hood to check out the Membrane…is that normal? I will most definetly fabricate my own as i dont really trustView attachment 83770 the current Solution 😁View attachment 83771
You have good reason not to trust the way that your shroud was installed. One of the two principal components it is supposed to cover and protect from water intrusion is the Fusebox, (on left side of your 1st picture). It was left uncovered and exposed which defeats the purpose of the shroud.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top