Water membrane

Here’s my DIY membrane. Since fuse box it probably most important, I used industrial velcro to adhere membrane over fuse box cover so it wont move off cover. Someone asked if velcro would stick to EPDM… it does.

IMG_2496.webp


IMG_2492.webp

IMG_2493.webp
 
While working on this, i dont know if this is something to consider for water penetration. The cowl has drainage channels from bottom of windshield to the plastic trim pieces that sit over the membrane. But that grill piece on the cowl has clips that sit in slots on the cowl. If these grill clips aren’t fully seated in the cowl slots or it is misaligned just a tad, could water trickle below? Probably over analyzing it but just a thought.

IMG_2500.webp


IMG_2498.webp


IMG_2502.webp


Also, if water is supposed to be channeled from cowl to plastic trim pieces, why is there such a big stain on my membrane? Where is that water coming/draining from?
 
Last edited:
That drainage channel at the base of the windshield dumps out right on top of the fusebox! Seems like attaching a rubber flap to the bottom of that drainage channel, so it covers the fusebox would at least dump the water out and away from it. If the resistor pack is underneath the fusebox, a dedicated rubber flap like that would also protect the resistor pack. Anything on the driver's side under the other drainage channel that needs protecting?

I also agree that those clip slots could be a source of drainage leaks. A very thin bead of silicon under the leading edge of that long plastic vented piece would take care of that. That would at least force all the drainage water to go through those channels and nowhere else.
 
I was planning to do some detailing and decided to take a look.
Oh boy it felt like I'm about to break or strip the T30 screw, don't know why the dealer torqued it down so tight.

Mines a '24 FE, looks like my membrane is on the shorter side but seems like a hit or miss comparing to others on this thread. Conditions seems pretty good after 1.5 yrs. Doesn't sit in the sun much when not driven.

The plastic covers does have channels like some of the others here, but there's still gaps that could drip right on top of the fuse box or open wires on the drivers side... I circled in my picture, is that suppose to be like that or bagged up? In fact what the heck is it for? In fact in the front there's a bagged up orphaned plug.
 

Attachments

  • front-plug.webp
    front-plug.webp
    81.8 KB · Views: 107
  • p-uncovered.webp
    p-uncovered.webp
    168.4 KB · Views: 105
  • p-covered.webp
    p-covered.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 105
  • d-plug.webp
    d-plug.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 110
  • d-uncovered.webp
    d-uncovered.webp
    202.5 KB · Views: 114
  • d-covered.webp
    d-covered.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 115
That drainage channel at the base of the windshield dumps out right on top of the fusebox! Seems like attaching a rubber flap to the bottom of that drainage channel, so it covers the fusebox would at least dump the water out and away from it. If the resistor pack is underneath the fusebox, a dedicated rubber flap like that would also protect the resistor pack. Anything on the driver's side under the other drainage channel that needs protecting?

I also agree that those clip slots could be a source of drainage leaks. A very thin bead of silicon under the leading edge of that long plastic vented piece would take care of that. That would at least force all the drainage water to go through those channels and nowhere else.
The side trim pieces do complete the drainage path…
But yes, i thought about a silicone bead in the slots (i didnt have any, on order from Amazon…lol)

IMG_2504.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kaz
I’ve just had my 3rd annual service at my local factory-authorised service centre and I asked that the membrane (mine is over 2 years old) be checked. I was advised that “a temporary repair” was made to keep any water out, that the factory were aware of the failure of the part, and that a further fix, or even maybe a proactive recall, is being worked on…. I haven’t had a chance to open up the front to check yet…..
 
I was advised that “a temporary repair” was made to keep any water out, that the factory were aware of the failure of the part, and that a further fix, or even maybe a proactive recall, is being worked on…. I haven’t had a chance to open up the front to check yet…..
$50 says its a vinyl or a "duct" style tape.
 
I’ve just had my 3rd annual service at my local factory-authorised service centre and I asked that the membrane (mine is over 2 years old) be checked. I was advised that “a temporary repair” was made to keep any water out, that the factory were aware of the failure of the part, and that a further fix, or even maybe a proactive recall, is being worked on…. I haven’t had a chance to open up the front to check yet…..
This would be good, and the right thing for Lotus to do. A permanent fix is appropriate.
 
The perminant fix, is 5mm thick material :)
In all seriousness, I do wonder what will happen to cars that are outside of their warranty, when this fix is released. In theory it should be covered, given the existing membrane is quoted as being a temporary fix. However given Lotus's track record, I wont be surprised if they only offer it to cars still in warranty and new cars.
 
So, how are we progressing with the molds for a revised fuse box and aircon housing in carbon fiber ?
Honestly I think if they hade a rubber seal for the lid(there seems to be a channel for it)..it would make the fuse box water tight


On a different note....has anyone tried to remove the OEM membrane to change the cabin filter? I worry it may tear
 
I changed my cabin air filter yesterday and the membrane tore about an inch near the corner of the aircon inlet where it's pulled the tightest around the opening. At that point I just tore it the remaining 2 inches or so to get the narrower section removed easily. My car is a little over 2 years old with 11k miles. I currently live in Florida so it's hot which doesn't help, but the car is kept in a climate controlled garage FWIW.

I just ordered a 12"x36" santoprene thermoplastic sheet for $15 from local home improvement store to replace it. It's 1/32" thick or just under 1mm. There are thicker options as well. Shouldn't be too difficult to install and appears higher quality than the OEM solution, so hopefully little to no degradation.

Link for the US folks:
 
Amateur science experiment time. I wanted to see how much water drained through the channels from bottom of windshield, through cowl and down plastic trim pieces.

24073.webp


OR how much water actually drains through the slots the cowl grille sits in! (Draining over the fuse box and HVAC harness through a cracking membrane)

Took 3/4 cup of water, placed another measuring cup at bottom of trim piece to collect training water.

Poured the water at the bottom of the windshield and instantly saw the potential design flaw. Majority of the water leaks through the slots in the cowl! Yikes.

24050.webp


24061.webp


24063.webp


I took a couple videos of the gaps in the cowl grille as well as pouring the water and watching it disappear barely reaching thr drainage channel. I'll try to upload to my YT and post them here.

24044.webp


YIKES!
 
Plan is to lay a bead of silicone along the cowl grille so that water actually is channeled through the dedicated drainage points.

The sound of the water dripping in the engine bay was shocking. Lol
 
Plan is to lay a bead of silicone along the cowl grille so that water actually is channeled through the dedicated drainage points.

The sound of the water dripping in the engine bay was shocking. Lol
Eagerly awaiting the results!! 👍 Thanks for documenting this 👍👍
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top