• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Fitting a battery conditioner... Do's and Don'ts

J600net

Reaction score
Great, thank you.

Finally, is there a definite answer on where the negative should go?
On the terminal or on one of the battery securing bolts, or it makes no difference and either is fine?
I'm also wondering the same 🤔

Ps. does the Emira definitely not have a cigarette lighter anywhere?

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm also wondering the same 🤔

Ps. does the Emira definitely not have a cigarette lighter anywhere?
I just went for the terminals.

Cigarette lighter port is on the back of the arm rest between the seats

J600net

Reaction score
I just went for the terminals.

Cigarette lighter port is on the back of the arm rest between the seats
On my Porsche the ctek just plugged into the cigarette lighter - seems no-one is doing that on the Emira, why is that?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On my Porsche the ctek just plugged into the cigarette lighter - seems no-one is doing that on the Emira, why is that?
Most cars do not have a cig lighter that is simply a fused connection to the battery positive terminal. At a minimum it's only on with the accessory switch.

J600net

Reaction score
Most cars do not have a cig lighter that is simply a fused connection to the battery positive terminal. At a minimum it's only on with the accessory switch.
This was the adapter I used:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This was the adapter I used:
Yea, again, most cars don't work this way and the cig lighter is disconnected from the battery when the engine is off.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Early Evoras had a 12V socket in the boot that was permanently live. Great for a battery conditioner.

Sadly later models and the Emira only have a 12V socket in the cabin and it’s off when the ignition is off, so no use for a conditioner.

squish

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I suspect just because they feel it is easier to run the cable into the trunk than into the cabin of the car?
Early Evoras had a 12V socket in the boot that was permanently live. Great for a battery conditioner.

Sadly later models and the Emira only have a 12V socket in the cabin and it’s off when the ignition is off, so no use for a conditioner.
I am considering mounting one of these somewhere in the boot (assuming we ever get the car in the US). I'd rather have an outlet like this to plug into than a cable dangling around in there.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/accessories/products/ctek-comfort-indicator-panel

(edit: it didn't like my Amazon link, so added a link to the US CTEK site instead and a better picture).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-20 151053.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 151053.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 is on sale at Amazon (at least in the US). Ordered one today along with the status light dongle and extension cable. Thanks all for the recommendations. Now if I could just get a decent cover, oh and the car.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 is on sale at Amazon (at least in the US). Ordered one today along with the status light dongle and extension cable. Thanks all for the recommendations. Now if I could just get a decent cover, oh and the car.
Thanks, just ordered

GregD

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From my experience, if you are using the car on the weekend or once a fortnight you don't need a battery conditioner - I've not used mine at all on the Emira and it's been perfect.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect just because they feel it is easier to run the cable into the trunk than into the cabin of the car?

I am considering mounting one of these somewhere in the boot (assuming we ever get the car in the US). I'd rather have an outlet like this to plug into than a cable dangling around in there.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/accessories/products/ctek-comfort-indicator-panel

(edit: it didn't like my Amazon link, so added a link to the US CTEK site instead and a better picture).
Yep, I had one of these fitted by the dealer before pickup. I got the idea from someone on this forum — they’d mounted theirs sideways on the battery cover, but my dealer managed to get it vertical, about a third of the way along the cover. Looks terrific (and they’ve now added it as a permanent “extra option”).

J600net

Reaction score
Okey so I'm going to do this tomorrow, are we saying:

A, connect the black negative cable to the battery
or
B, connect the black negative cable to the body of the car
or
C, either, it really doesn't matter

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's C, provided B is to a solidly earth-bonded part of the car. A is reliable.

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just tested my new CTEK CT5 „Time to go“ for charging my battery. As my Emira wasn't used very often due to weather and temperatures, my battery was pretty flat.
So connected the battery charger and it showed me a nearly empty battary. It took approx. 4 hours untill the device finished loading the battery and showed „go“ on the display. Worked perfectly in AGM mode! 😃
IMG_3819.jpeg

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have a LiP0 battery and I want to install the ctek comfort panel indicator. It's the one that's just the indicator, and has two blade connectors on the back, but cteks quick connector on the front.

There doesn't seem to be an assembled dongle to attach it. Should I just make one out of 12 gauge wire?

Link for those interested.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a LiP0 battery and I want to install the ctek comfort panel indicator. It's the one that's just the indicator, and has two blade connectors on the back, but cteks quick connector on the front.

There doesn't seem to be an assembled dongle to attach it. Should I just make one out of 12 gauge wire?

Link for those interested.
Curious to see pics of the back (Amazon only shows front). I might order one for my tractor to test out and see if it's a clean enough DIY for the Emira. It would look slick sitting flush on the battery cover or trunk liner with nothing dangling about.