• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira V6 Engine Modifications: Let's talk!

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am always surprised that people take dyno numbers for granted. There are automotive standards on how engine's performance should be measured. And even there the numbers are manipulated as everything depends on:
- cooling systems used
- intake temperature
- thickness of the oil used
- exact composition of the fuel used
- blue printed engine build out of parts of 10 stock engines...
- etc.

Numbers don't say anything. Comparing cars on the same day and time and with same settings will tell you more...but the 350hp car may beat the 400hp car that day, that read 400hp 2 days back (measured at different location).
Wow, how did you interpret that I did not understand or took them for granted all that from my one line saying it was interesting and healthy numbers if loss were correct????

Internet experts!

FYI - Double champion racing motorbikes (in power controlled class - i.e. lots of time in dyno's), multiple race and championship engine builder using dyno baseline's and former propulsion engineering tech. - But hey I was only making a comment on the graph and numbers provided, nothing more....

.... by the way you missed far more factors that would effect the numbers but I will not make assumptions about your level of understanding or point out the OBVIOUS

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wow, how did you interpret that I did not understand or took them for granted all that from my one line saying it was interesting and healthy numbers if loss were correct????

Internet experts!

FYI - Double champion racing motorbikes (in power controlled class - i.e. lots of time in dyno's), multiple race and championship engine builder using dyno baseline's and former propulsion engineering tech. - But hey I was only making a comment on the graph and numbers provided, nothing more....

.... by the way you missed far more factors that would effect the numbers but I will not make assumptions about your level of understanding or point out the OBVIOUS

We love to learn from the experts…

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So really, a dyno is bollocks apart from when you benchmark a car/bike and then modify something and then retest it that same day in the same conditions?

So, like Ali vs Fury, or Senna vs Hamilton, it is complete bollocks to compare over time.

No point in my Dynoing my Emira now then as it was not even Dynoed before the exhaust changes and conditions will be different anyway.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So really, a dyno is bollocks apart from when you benchmark a car/bike and then modify something and then retest it that same day in the same conditions?

So, like Ali vs Fury, or Senna vs Hamilton, it is complete bollocks to compare over time.

No point in my Dynoing my Emira now then as it was not even Dynoed before the exhaust changes and conditions will be different anyway.
Yep, that's about it, Ade. I also take a massive pinch of salt re exhaust gains - I've walked this path with my S2000 and ended up importing a single exit exhaust for my S2000 - asymetrical but at least there was a handy weight loss. I think any power gains without a remap (which isn't straightforward with a locked OEM ECU) would be minimal to non-existent.

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

More or less, yes.

In isolation a Dyno chart is an indication of how an engine makes its power on the environmental condition of the day, based on its configuration and set-up. Without a dyno run in almost identical conditions pre/post mod the peak values delivered may not show any difference.

The more dubious dyno operators can also play with correction factors to show whatever end result you want to see, so always check that not only are environmental conditions such as air pressure, temp and humidity the same but also that the correction factors applied are the same.

What a single dyno run will show you is where your peak torque and power are made to allow you to get the best from the car/bike in that configuration but remember the power figures could be manipulated so don't focus on that.

Now you can compare the shape of your power and torque curves as well against someone else's - independently of the peak numbers, the shapes of these can be meaningful if you have a reference to go against i.e. is your mid range fatter/higher, developed a dip/trough or lower in shape or has the peak moved in the rev range. This is where dyno's become useful on single runs if there is a reference to compare.

I always found single run dyno charts in isolation for power figures are for facebook bragging, a little like saving a few grams on carbon on a bike when you can gain more weight drinking a can of pepsi before getting on the bike🤣🤣

What interested me in the chart earlier was how linear the graphs looked in their travel to peak values, i.e. no huge dips/troughs/spikes in either which indicates a smooth power delivery with no sudden surge so making for predictable power delivery.

Only my opinion on this though🙂😏🤣

Eddie

Reaction score
Any update on the exhaust mod yet? I’m excited to see/hear the results!

gtihk

Reaction score
Does anybody know the exact model of ECU which is used on the Emira 3.6? I heard conflicting information about it being the same as the Evora.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anybody know the exact model of ECU which is used on the Emira 3.6? I heard conflicting information about it being the same as the Evora.
Yes I am curious as well. I thought I saw Lear when I was at the factory but now that I think about it I think it is the seats? Bosch I believe is the stability/traction control.

PaulMc

Reaction score
Yes I am curious as well. I thought I saw Lear when I was at the factory but now that I think about it I think it is the seats? Bosch I believe is the stability/traction control.
As a tech I have looked into the potential for remapping. The OE ECU is locked and not very capable at exploiting the necessary mods.Remember the oe ecu is designed to do the job of running the std engine but more importantly to comply with emission regulations. Jubu offer a direct replacement ecu made by Syvecs which can deliver changes to all engine settings and introduce features like down shift rev matching rev limit increases and virtually any fueling and cam timing alterations.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As a tech I have looked into the potential for remapping. The OE ECU is locked and not very capable at exploiting the necessary mods.Remember the oe ecu is designed to do the job of running the std engine but more importantly to comply with emission regulations. Jubu offer a direct replacement ecu made by Syvecs which can deliver changes to all engine settings and introduce features like down shift rev matching rev limit increases and virtually any fueling and cam timing alterations.
Both Komotec and Jubu offer a 430 remap (actually 435 in Jubu's case in conjunction with a decat), so presumably they have found a way of unlocking the standard ECU. Perhaps with the tacit approval of Lotus since both outfits seem to have a good relationship with Hethel? What is your opinion on these remaps? They look a very appealing mod to me to free up the engine a little and I suspect it might have been that way from the factory if it weren't for emissions regs. Unfortunately the nearest Komotec installer is hundreds of miles away which could be a major headache if any issues came up post remap.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. In California a new law passed where they have an OBD sniffer and if there is any sign of modification even if in the past and set back to stock it will not pass CARB emissions testing, so we won't get our registration renewed.

So a stand alone ECU replacement is interesting to me. Would have to keep all stock parts on intake and exhaust side pre 3rd cat though I think.

I am not technically knowledgeable so I apologize for the terminology of a thrift grader.