V6 vs I4 Steering Feel?

prince077

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2026
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
My Specs:
Emira V6
I’m currently trying to decide between the V6 automatic and the i4 Emira. I’m well aware of the IPS transmission’s shortcomings, and after a lot of consideration and helpful feedback from @Tracked Emira I’m leaning toward the i4, even after looking into potential V6 upgrades like the BOE enhancement kit and Quaife LSD.


However, the biggest deciding factor for me is steering feel.


Has anyone driven both versions back-to-back and noticed a meaningful difference in steering weight, feedback, or overall feel?


In the video linked below, around the 20-minute mark, the reviewers seem to strongly prefer the V6’s steering, describing it as noticeably heavier and more communicative. This is interesting because I’ve seen several reports suggesting that the i4’s electro-hydraulic steering feels nearly identical to the V6’s hydraulic setup.


I’d really appreciate some firsthand opinions from anyone who’s spent time behind the wheel of both, especially since steering feel is probably the most important aspect of the driving experience for me.

 
I drove an i4 SE Touring then a V6 Sport and it was night and day difference. If you had blindfolded me I would never have said they were the same car or event from the same manufacturer... the experience was THAT different. I thought the alignment was off on the sport until I realised it was just such a more connected experience through the steering and the more aggressive suspension setup. It was tracking with the undulations in the road. Not sure what trim levels or setups were featured in the video, but that was my hands-on experience with the two.
 
I would highly advise you go AMG just because of the upgrade path that is viable and proven. Obviously try and test drive both but I don't think the V6 auto's disadvantages are made up by the full hydraulic steering. I have had all kinds of drivers try my i4 out and it's universally a revelation for them.
 
I drove an i4 SE Touring then a V6 Sport and it was night and day difference. If you had blindfolded me I would never have said they were the same car or event from the same manufacturer... the experience was THAT different. I thought the alignment was off on the sport until I realised it was just such a more connected experience through the steering and the more aggressive suspension setup. It was tracking with the undulations in the road. Not sure what trim levels or setups were featured in the video, but that was my hands-on experience with the two.
I do wonder how much of that difference was down to the Touring vs. Sport suspension rather than the steering systems themselves. Did you notice a significant difference in steering weight and feedback specifically, or was it more the overall connected feeling of the V6 Sport? I’d be curious whether an i4 Sport would close that gap.
 
There shouldn't really be any significant difference between the v6 and i4 steering feel. I'm pretty sure the rack is the same and one is simply being fed by a mechanical vs electric pump. They can do variable assist with an electric pump, but I have an i4 and it doesn't feel like they have. The i4 has plenty of "steering feel" if that's what you want - i.e. you better be holding on and paying attention when you hit a rough surface, as the car will want to steer itself.

Most of the difference felt between the touring and sport is going to be because of the damper rates. They are noticeably higher on the sport. The sport also has a bit more toe-in on the front, which some people might notice, but you can always ask for that when you get an alignment on the tour if you want to try it.

I did an article awhile ago talking about steering feel if you are curious to learn more.

 
All you'll get here are subjective and personal preference and biased opinions. I've test driven both and there is a difference in steering feel but it is small, my preference could be very different to your own. Suspension and tyres (especially) and tyre pressure also make a difference.

Please just go for a test drive of both cars yourself then decide.

You might even decide you don't like the "full-on" feedback that Lotus gives you.
 
Because steering feel is impactful to you, the only approach is for you to test drive both and make your own assessment.

We all perceive things differently at different sensitivities, so the feedback you get isn't going to be very meaningful to you and your objectives.
 
I’ve driven both back to back a few times, the steering feel is exactly the same. This is also evidenced by the fact that the power steering rack is the exact same part number. The front control arms are the same, the steering column is the same, the front wheels are the same, the front end of the car is the same.

The difference is how the hydraulic fluid is powered, I highly doubt anyone can tell the difference there.

People may confuse however handling with steering feel, the cars will handle differently.
 
Appreciate all the input, guys. Steering feel is a huge part of what draws me to the Emira, so I was hesitant to give that up going with the i4. The DCT and tuning potential are already pretty convincing, and this makes the decision that much easier. Still planning to drive both back to back, but the i4 is looking like the way to go.
 
Yea, if you are not looking for a manual, and the engine/exhaust noises are not at the top of your list, the I4 is the way to go.
 
Like others have suggested, test drive both back to back and you'll see.

Test drove an i4 with touring suspension at the dealer's lot, didn't like it. (not the steering feel, but the transmission logic on low speed, it was not smooth. the acceleration was very impressive though) Ordered the v6 auto with touring suspension, I was shocked when picking up the car, the steering is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier, actually I felt the car is heavier too in general. But again, this is my personal experience, it is subjective.
 
I’ve driven both back to back a few times, the steering feel is exactly the same. This is also evidenced by the fact that the power steering rack is the exact same part number. The front control arms are the same, the steering column is the same, the front wheels are the same, the front end of the car is the same.
The difference is how the hydraulic fluid is powered, I highly doubt anyone can tell the difference there.
People may confuse however handling with steering feel, the cars will handle differently.
I could tell a difference between the two and others have reported the same. The way the hydraulic fluid is kept at pressure I'm guessing could make a difference with the electric model "smoothing out" the pressure changes whilst the V6 keeps the pressure high meaning it is more "chatty".
That said I take your point the different is slight and suspension and tyres could easily make more of a difference.
It also depends on what is meant by steering feel? I'm meaning what you feel though the steering wheel - likely what is meant is how does the car feel whilst steering?
All the same OP should just go for a test drive.
 
Last edited:
btw since you will end up with the AMG, here's the cheat sheet on mods to super power your car:
sports cat from whoever (Aerie, Mach5, etc.)
straight pipe exhaust from Mach5 (mandatory, your car will be as loud as you want and sound amazing)
Inokinetic tune, gobs of torque
Nitrons or Ohlins or JRZ or whatever...
some toe adjustment depending on how lively you want the tip in to be
the latest TCU update from Lotus improves all shifting to the point it's not going to be an issue
 
I actually test drove an i4 Touring last year and a V6 Auto Touring just the other day. From what I remember, I couldn't tell a significant difference in steering feel between the two, although that could just be down to the time between drives.

For some perspective, one of my favorite cars I've ever driven was the BMW E92, largely because of its heavy, mechanical steering feel. That's exactly the kind of weight and feedback I'm looking for in the Emira.

I mainly wanted to hear from people who've driven both back to back to see if they noticed something I might've missed. I'm also curious if there's any documented difference in steering weight or feedback between the Touring and Sport suspension setups, beyond the obvious differences in handling and ride stiffness.

I know another back-to-back test drive would probably settle this, but I'm honestly dreading calling the dealership again to ask for yet another drive lol. At the same time, I don't want to rush into choosing the i4 only to regret it later, especially when steering feel is such a big part of why I want an Emira in the first place.
 
btw since you will end up with the AMG, here's the cheat sheet on mods to super power your car:
sports cat from whoever (Aerie, Mach5, etc.)
straight pipe exhaust from Mach5 (mandatory, your car will be as loud as you want and sound amazing)
Inokinetic tune, gobs of torque
Nitrons or Ohlins or JRZ or whatever...
some toe adjustment depending on how lively you want the tip in to be
the latest TCU update from Lotus improves all shifting to the point it's not going to be an issue
Very helpful, thanks!
 
I have driven both, back to back, on twisty roads at our H2R2 event this year AND last year. There is a difference - the V6 is better. I too am very particular about steering feel and the Turbo felt over boosted for my old-school taste. I prefer more analog response. Video game feel is not my thing.

Photo Jun 21 2026, 9 55 07 AM.webp

Having said the above, I just drove the 420 Sport at LUG. It was noticeably better but I did NOT drive it back to back with a V6. I think the calibration for the steering has been changed though the MultiMatic DSSVs that were fitted may have also contributed to the improved feel. I need to drive it and a V6 to be fully convinced that it is better than the original.
 
I know another back-to-back test drive would probably settle this, but I'm honestly dreading calling the dealership again to ask for yet another drive lol. At the same time, I don't want to rush into choosing the i4 only to regret it later, especially when steering feel is such a big part of why I want an Emira in the first place.
In my test drives the steering feel difference was very slight, I expect if I hadn't driven them back to back I wouldn't have been able to tell. The engine and transmission make far more of a difference to the feel of the car.
If you are dead set on an automatic then I think 90% of owners would prefer the i4 over the V6 auto.
Regardless they are both great cars and you can't make a wrong decision here if you enjoyed your previous test drives.
 
Last edited:
Steering feel aside... if you do long road trips or track at all, do not get the V6-Auto.
Gearbox (or TCU) reliability is just not on par with the manual or i4's...
 
I’ve driven both as well. I’m no racing driver—I couldn’t detect any significant difference.

I have no idea which one to order, either. Right now, I’m leaning towards the Turbo. I enjoy driving on tight, winding roads; with the Turbo, you simply stay in the ideal rev range more often in those situations. As a recreational driver, you’re guaranteed to be faster in the Turbo.

The V6 has very long gear ratios and struggles to really get going at lower RPMs. However, the V6’s sound is absolutely sublime, which makes me have second thoughts.

But the steering is definitely not the factor I’d base my decision on.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top