Grundy Insurance and Modifications

Thanks for this - I’ll call them. Last year when mine arrived Hggerty declined me on the sole basis over a decade of owning and driving three M3’s wasn’t sufficient sports car driving experience.
I was denied for the same reason. Owned BMW’s for 20 years to include multiple sport bikes. Went with NJM full coverage for $1800/year.
 
I was denied for the same reason. Owned BMW’s for 20 years to include multiple sport bikes. Went with NJM full coverage for $1800/year.
They said “come back in a year after someone else insures and we’ll look at it then”. I’m going to take them up on the invite next month and see what comes of it, but doubt I’ll switch if they offer to insure given what I’m paying now to an affiliate of Farmers.
 
They said “come back in a year after someone else insures and we’ll look at it then”. I’m going to take them up on the invite next month and see what comes of it, but doubt I’ll switch if they offer to insure given what I’m paying now to an affiliate of Farmers.
I got that same “call us in a year” BS on my Evora GT. Every interaction with Grundy has been great. Fast, clear, friendly. They act like they actually want my business. Rate was similar to what Hagerty quoted, prior to denying it.
 
I got that same “call us in a year” BS on my Evora GT. Every interaction with Grundy has been great. Fast, clear, friendly. They act like they actually want my business. Rate was similar to what Hagerty quoted, prior to denying it.
Thx for the feedback. On a side note, they actually approved me in writing with a firm premium then reneged when I tried to put the policy in force. Wasn’t terribly happy about it with my car sitting in the delivery bay.
 
I was denied for the same reason. Owned BMW’s for 20 years to include multiple sport bikes. Went with NJM full coverage for $1800/year.
hagerty denied me based on "not enough experience with 700+ horsepower cars for your age" even though I own 3 700+ horsepower cars... They refused to insure my Superleggera and Ferrari because I was under 50 yr old. And younger people "commit more insurance fraud on these high powered cars" (their saying), and they would consider reviewing it again if there was no lien on any vehicles.

Hagerty also has a mileage limit.

American Collectors insurance also refused to insure my vehicles based solely on my age...

Basically don't have nice cars if you're not a grandpa..

Grundy doesn't even ask.
 
If not daily, then how much can you drive?
They don't limit your miles but if you daily it or use it for any type of "normal daily" activities (grocery shopping, taking kids to school, etc etc etc) they will not cover you if something happens.
 
With the advice from someone on this forum, I switched from Progressive to Grundy Insurance. They seem to specialize in collector/classic cars and such. My six month premium for the Emira at Progressive was $1000 if paid upfront. With Grundy, it's an annual premium of $1200, which is an $800 savings annually. This is not a commercial.

I had to give Grundy... the insurance dec page for my Tundra which I daily... and photos of the Emira garaged, in my case stored, so I guess there is the requirement that the Emira be a secondary garaged/stored car for this particular rate. However, there weren't any mileage requirements.

To whoever provided the heads up on Grundy, thank you.

Another benefit of Grundy, is that they will insure modified vehicles since they deal alot with classic/collector cars. Google AI says they are experts in providing custom policies for modified vehicles. But I haven't actually gone through this process. From my understanding, you provide a full list of all modifications to the vehicle, and then have some sort of inspection/engineer's report given to them. Then you get a custom policy that reflects the value of your modified vehicle benefits and risks included. The price usually goes up but they can't blame modifications to void your policy in the event of accident/fire/theft etc. and you can actually recoup losses for modified parts. In some cases, modifications can lower your policy. I've read somewhere that someone's policy went down a few bucks after getting bigger brakes. (Would love to actually see that..)

So... given that most of us modify our cars... and we don't wanna be stuck trying to disassemble an engine in the state of shock on the freeway with 2 dead motorists, is it worth trying to get this custom policy? Have any of you done it? Any particular mods that are blacklist?
My State Farm policy is coming due shortly so I called Grundy today to get a quote and surprisingly, on their Regular Car insurance coverage they require 3 vehicles insured in each household in order to offer a Bundle discount while under their Collector Car policy, they don't insure the daily driver car. As a result, it turned out to be a very short call. Sticking to State Farm for now.
 
Thanks for this - I’ll call them. Last year when mine arrived Hggerty declined me on the sole basis over a decade of owning and driving three M3’s wasn’t sufficient sports car driving experience.
interesting as when I bought my 2025 Emira I insured it with Haggerty .....my first time with them...then I moved all my other collectors cars to them for an agreed value
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top