• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira V6 Engine Modifications: Let's talk!

AndySXV

Reaction score
Good point, that’s what I heard too.
It makes sense to start lower bhp and they have a readily available step up that is tried and tested either to 410 or 430. Here’s my conspiracy theory: watch the original launch video, there’s a few seconds of the dash showing boost at 2.2bar and 496bhp. That’s my guess for the R variant!! Fingers crossed😜

PaulMc

Reaction score
They say transmission, but surely the clutch must be upgraded. Even their site recommends it https://www.jubu-performance.com/en...road__track_mit_schwungrad__starterkranz-2122
As an engine tuner and former master technician I can confirm that torque is the enemy of transmissions not so much HP on its own. Low speed torque in particlular is the worst. High speed engine torque such as with Supercharged engines is the easiest to accomodate. Excessive low speed torque often seen in a badly mapped motor can easily destroy clutch and gearbox. Excessive twisting force coupled with slow revolutions is the enemy of transmissions. Its the reason why a weak clutch will start to loose grip in top gear first where the clutch is revolving slowly. Change down and allow the same torque to be transmitted through increased RPM and the clutch recovers the load. You only have to look at a tractor transmission. Possibly only 150 to 200 HP but colossal low speed torque available at very low revs means every part of the transmission has to be many times stronger .

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the ECU not 'locked' to external sources so we can't tune it via the ECU?

They just need to be "cracked" which basically means decoded via software like WinOLS or ECM Titanium which allows tuners to translate values and interpret maps. It's like having the Rosetta Stone. Once they know how it was originally written, they can modify and rewrite as needed. Then those custom maps (which do things like raise rev limits/boost and tweak fuel maps/ignition timing, etc.) can be used on a vehicle via a reflash (retunes the factory ECU), piggyback system (works in conjunction with the factory ECU), or a complete standalone system (Hondata, AEM Infinity, JWT) which completely replaces the factory ECU with their own hardware and software.

More info on the different methods of tuning this video:

Lotus also doesn't sell a ton of vehicles so there isn't a lot of aftermarket support. Tuners generally aren't going to spend the R&D time to develop and market custom tunes (or any parts) if it's not going to be profitable for them due to a smaller customer base. Also the supercharged 2GR platform is already tuned by Lotus, so there isn't too much more potential without other major upgrades.

For comparison sake:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They just need to be "cracked" which basically means decoded via software like WinOLS or ECM Titanium which allows tuners to translate values and interpret maps. It's like having the Rosetta Stone. Once they know how it was originally written, they can modify and rewrite as needed. Then those custom maps (which do things like raise rev limits/boost and tweak fuel maps/ignition timing, etc.) can be used on a vehicle via a reflash (retunes the factory ECU), piggyback system (works in conjunction with the factory ECU), or a complete standalone system standalone system (Hondata, AEM Infinity, JWT) which completely replaces the factory ECU with their own hardware and software.

Lotus also doesn't sell a ton of vehicles so there isn't a lot of aftermarket support. Tuners generally aren't going to spend the R&D time to develop and market custom tunes (or any parts) if it's not going to be profitable for them due to a smaller customer base. Also the supercharged 2GR platform is already tuned by Lotus, so there isn't too much more potential without other major upgrades.

For comparison sake:
It's great to see such intellectual HP in this forum, evident in this and other recent threads/posts. I am humbled.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They just need to be "cracked" which basically means decoded via software like WinOLS or ECM Titanium which allows tuners to translate values and interpret maps. It's like having the Rosetta Stone. Once they know how it was originally written, they can modify and rewrite as needed. Then those custom maps (which do things like raise rev limits/boost and tweak fuel maps/ignition timing, etc.) can be used on a vehicle via a reflash (retunes the factory ECU), piggyback system (works in conjunction with the factory ECU), or a complete standalone system (Hondata, AEM Infinity, JWT) which completely replaces the factory ECU with their own hardware and software.

For comparison sake:
I believe Komotec were able to reflash the factory ECU on the Exige and Evora so hopefully they'll be able to do the same with the Emira. I've always been a bit baffled about why Lotus apparently turned a blind eye to them doing this since they are also an official dealer. A Komotec 430 remap for the Emira would be very appealing, but their only UK agent Hangar 111 is 400 miles from me. I'd be pretty wary of getting into any engine mods without reasonably local technical support.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I believe Komotec were able to reflash the factory ECU on the Exige and Evora so hopefully they'll be able to do the same with the Emira. I've always been a bit baffled about why Lotus apparently turned a blind eye to them doing this since they are also an official dealer. A Komotec 430 remap for the Emira would be very appealing, but their only UK agent Hangar 111 is 400 miles from me. I'd be pretty wary of getting into any engine mods without reasonably local technical support.
At what point of the tuning process is the Lotus warranty compromised/invalidated?

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
The transmission is limited by torque capacity not power. Power = torque x rotational speed so increasing the rev limit will increase power with constant torque. In reality, torque rarely peaks much above 4000rpm so liberating extra oomph above this speed won’t increase the forces on the transmission. Google any power curves and you’ll see the relation between torque and power across the speed range. Adding boost will produce higher torque because it will increase cylinder pressures however, gas flowing and reducing back pressure will have negligible effect on torque.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Komotec were able to reflash the factory ECU on the Exige and Evora so hopefully they'll be able to do the same with the Emira.

Correct. I linked one of their Evora tunes in my previous post. Lotus gave them access to their tuning software directly. Likely not offered direct due to emissions and/or potential engine wear and Lotus being weary of warranty claims. If Lotus Advanced Performance eventually offers staged reflashes, I'd bet they worked with Komotec to create them.

At what point of the tuning process is the Lotus warranty compromised/invalidated?

Usually instantly. Most modern cars will show a flag the second something is rewritten. In the VW/Audi world, this is called a TD1 flag and the dealer can see it instantly when scanning and will usually void a powertrain warranty claim if the fault can be linked to the flash. So let's say your back struts start clunking or wipers stop working, but your fancy new Emira has a flash tune. Lotus shouldn't blame the tune and should cover the warranty claim. But if you have some sort of engine knock or transmission starts slipping, they'll likely deny the claim.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've always been a bit baffled about why Lotus apparently turned a blind eye to them doing this since they are also an official dealer.
Komotec have previously bought and raced Evoras and will be racing Emira GT4s in the European championship this year. In effect they're an unofficial race team partner with Lotus. I'm not sure how formal or contractual that is but I suspect the knowledge sharing is two-way. PB Racing in Italy have a similar situation, being a main dealer and also racing their own modified Lotus cars.

Not all of the Lotus road and race cars are developed 100% by Lotus. For example, the Evora GT430 had input from Mick Gardner Racing on the Ohlins setup.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For consistency on my posts I will mention again that 400hp is still a LOT of power, even at the weight. We are so spoiled.
400 might be a lovely sweet spot.

I can say that keeping to the 4000 rev limit was no hardship and the car was still fast.

I still think Lotus have done right thing given the remit of the Emira.

In an ideal world, I'd have a switch on Track Mode which takes the car to 430hp.
That way I can use it when needed, such as on track.

Re: clutch.

I have been advised to avoid numerous launches. This was the case for previous 4xx models.
I roll it a bit and then go for it. Whilst moving I floor it without thinking.
I didn't buy the car for drag racing souped up fords.

Last edited:

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone, who has reached the magic 1000 mile run in, had a dyno run on their Emira to see what its making in real life??

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Has anyone, who has reached the magic 1000 mile run in, had a dyno run on their Emira to see what its making in real life??
I think one of the owners in Germany has, or their dealer Komotec.

OP
LotusB

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Maybe it's a European thing, but they have the weirdest dyno charts that are impossible to read. First of all, it doesn't specify correction factors and for some reason I've seen the optimistic DIN used from European Lotus tuners; whereas in the US tuners use SAE. Also, Komo-tec's charts always show engine PS, however this is a chassis dyno, so who's keying in the drivetrain loss assumptions? Lastly, most of their graphs show PS instead of HP and that's less than a HP. For example, 400PS = 394.5HP and 400hp should be 405.5PS. Oh, last last point.... I guarantee that engine isn't underrated! 15% is a very generous drivetrain loss for a FWD drivetrain.

My car is definitely going on the dyno before any tuning.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No.. better than that. They need a little fiddle but it will use the standard valve.
Thereby, it will be less prevalent in the lower modes and full beans will come on in track.
Super simple. Hopefully, the lowest setting will pass track day limits.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That's an interesting Dyno run, healthy looking numbers if the losses are correct :)
I am always surprised that people take dyno numbers for granted. There are automotive standards on how engine's performance should be measured. And even there the numbers are manipulated as everything depends on:
- cooling systems used
- intake temperature
- thickness of the oil used
- exact composition of the fuel used
- blue printed engine build out of parts of 10 stock engines...
- etc.

Numbers don't say anything. Comparing cars on the same day and time and with same settings will tell you more...but the 350hp car may beat the 400hp car that day, that read 400hp 2 days back (measured at different location).

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am always surprised that people take dyno numbers for granted. There are automotive standards on how engine's performance should be measured. And even there the numbers are manipulated as everything depends on:
- cooling systems used
- intake temperature
- thickness of the oil used
- exact composition of the fuel used
- blue printed engine build out of parts of 10 stock engines...
- etc.

Numbers don't say anything. Comparing cars on the same day and time and with same settings will tell you more...but the 350hp car may beat the 400hp car that day, that read 400hp 2 days back (measured at different location).
SHHHHH.... you'll upset the experts. ;-)