Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have some news to share based on recent correspondence from Lotus on the engine max RPM topic.

As we know from information shared before, the maximum engine speed on the Emira V6 is linked to drive mode. Seems that my hypothesis above was indeed correct.

In Tour driving mode, the rev limit is 6,600rpm. In Track mode with ESC Off, the engine rpm limit increases by +200rpm to 6,800rpm.
Is that only in track mode? Not in sport mode too?

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is that only in track mode? Not in sport mode too?
Sorry for being unclear - the max engine RPM is increased in all modes other than Tour (as per the leaked spec table previously shared).

1654658909369.png

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
6600 is pretty low for a petrol engine in a sports car...shame if this was driven by emissions alone. No driver is cruising at 6600, they're on the way to the redline say 7000, so at most 2 secs are spent in this band and the impact would be minimal.

Completely unqualified comment of course, layman's assumption.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Of all the cars I've driven (on road), never once have I redlined the engine and I don't drive like a grandpa. I really don't care about +/- 200rpm. Will make no practical difference on road.

If the lower 200 rpm compared to an Evora GT allowed Lotus to just squeeze within emissions and sound regulations of today then that's OK with me!

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I honestly wished Lotus had used BMW’s inline 6 engine like Toyota has in their Supra Z4. Not sure if it would fit a rear engine design but that is a good engine.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I honestly wished Lotus had used BMW’s inline 6 engine like Toyota has in their Supra Z4. Not sure if it would fit a rear engine design but that is a good engine.
The BMW I6T is too long to fit in a rear engine transverse mounted layout.

Both V6 and boxer 6 engines are much shorter than in-line 6 engines which is why Lotus and Porsche use them in mid/rear engined sports cars.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Bit of an aside, but on the subject of mounting long engines transversely, this wonderful piece of Italian nuttiness had, wait for it, a transverse V16 .

Cizeta-Moroder_V16T_-_Concorso_Italiano_2003_-_fvr.jpg

Bonus points for anyone who can name its connection to Donna Summer :)

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Bit of an aside, but on the subject of mounting long engines transversely, this wonderful piece of Italian nuttiness had, wait for it, a transverse V16 .

Giorgio Moroder, also of Daft Punk collaboration fame!

Cizeta Moroder V16T.

Cracking post and photo!

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

A Gandini design, you can see the Diablo all over it - the front third in particular.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What a great song to play on the KEF Audio in the Emira by the way!

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
6600 is pretty low for a petrol engine in a sports car...shame if this was driven by emissions alone. No driver is cruising at 6600, they're on the way to the redline say 7000, so at most 2 secs are spent in this band and the impact would be minimal.

Completely unqualified comment of course, layman's assumption.
The way this particular engine behaves it’s quite a relevant and real issue for me at least.

The V6 engine has a lot of low down grunt - that’s good. But it really gets going at around 3.5/4k rpm and starts revving very quickly! Then if you’re still accelerating hard then that cut off comes a lot more quickly than you’d expect - and bang into the cutout.

I found myself looking at the revs more than the road, so I effectively short shift. A few reviewers have mentioned this happening to them. So, at least I know I’m not alone.

Although, in the V6 you’ll be moving rather more quickly than the speed limit if your up there in 3rd gear or higher. But for first and especially second gear this is going to mean being … cautious for me. And is bizarre because the same engine in the Evora is 7k+

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The way this particular engine behaves it’s quite a relevant and real issue for me at least.

The V6 engine has a lot of low down grunt - that’s good. But it really gets going at around 3.5/4k rpm and starts revving very quickly! Then if you’re still accelerating hard then that cut off comes a lot more quickly than you’d expect - and bang into the cutout.

I found myself looking at the revs more than the road, so I effectively short shift. A few reviewers have mentioned this happening to them. So, at least I know I’m not alone.

Although, in the V6 you’ll be moving rather more quickly than the speed limit if your up there in 3rd gear or higher. But for first and especially second gear this is going to mean being … cautious for me. And is bizarre because the same engine in the Evora is 7k+
100% I want an NA engine (yes I know its Supercharged) to rev out as much as possible. That's where the magic happens and the feel good factor hits you smack in the face. Nobody should be short shifting this car! That's what the i4 and slush box is for 😉

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
100% I want an NA engine (yes I know its Supercharged) to rev out as much as possible. That's where the magic happens and the feel good factor hits you smack in the face. Nobody should be short shifting this car! That's what the i4 and slush box is for 😉
i4 7200 - 👋 🎤 😂 when I get mine I will be spinning it all the way up in the 7s…… before flicking up….