Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I know we can but I don’t think we should, realistically compare the emira with used cars just as the price point matches.
And I can’t see how we can relitically compare a 4 cylinder Japanese sports car with this version and it’s V6

I know all these cars in their own rights are good, some maybe great, but they are not fair or worthwhile comparisons in my mind. Why?
Well a 5-10 year old car does not come with a warranty for one. An Aston’s parts department makes more money than bill gates does. A v12 to a v6 is not for me a comparison and the emira does not compete with any of these cars imo and certainly lotus does not set out to make it so.

I believe the only like for likes are the ever loved and hated cayman, and the never mentioned jaguar F type.

I don’t see anything else apples for apples. An alpine is a v4 that sounds as cheap as it feels inside and looks on the outside. It competes more with an Elise or exige not an emira, although maybe maybe for the amg but with the sound and power it doesn’t compete much there either.

If we go looking at all second hand cars then my 911 from 1980 v6. Lighter and less power but good sound and handling also competes but it really doesn’t.

Not to be down on the whole comparison thing and everyone’s mind works In Different ways when they think about spending this money on a new car, but this doesn’t. Make them competitors in reality.

We could as I say go get a lancía Fulvia zagata whixh sounds great etc and say it has lower running costs and what have you, but all that’s never ending and not helpful
Ufff I’m grumpy today 😤
That’s fair enough. As you say, not apples for apples. My line of thinking is that £80,000 does bring some very interesting cars into range.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It’s all relative, I suppose. Performance is in another universe to the Emira. Imagine if it was this weight but same power as the 570…

Won’t comment on the rest of the review :(
If he is having a dig at the McLaren that will do for me say no more ;-D

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm really curious as to why we haven't seen anything from Shmee. Not that I'm a big fan of his or anything, but I would have thought his review would have been one of the first out there.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
That’s fair enough. As you say, not apples for apples. My line of thinking is that £80,000 does bring some very interesting cars into range.
yes it does, but where does it end.. hah
its like we are going on holiday this year to france...... oh, but for the price of the cottage we could have a 5* hotel in Bali...

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm really curious as to why we haven't seen anything from Shmee. Not that I'm a big fan of his or anything, but I would have thought his review would have been one of the first out there.
And he had the yellow car for a while, didn’t he? So we know he had a car…mind you he is very busy and prolific with Hypercars and whatnot usually, so maybe just in the queue for him.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting too that Evo weighed the GT4 at 1460kg and it never comes in for the same criticism as the Emira for excess weight. When Lotus do a GT version of the Emira (carbon roof, tailgate, bucket seats, lithium battery, less sound deadening etc) it is likely to be a good chunk lighter than the GT4. No doubt Evo will still be worshipping at the alter of the almighty Porsche :)
Because it’s a Lotus and they’ve espoused the benefits of lightweight - until it didn’t suit them anymore.

The GT Emira will end up being what the Emira, as a purists car, should have always been and I’ll certainly be trading mine in once it’s available.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Because it’s a Lotus and they’ve espoused the benefits of lightweight - until it didn’t suit them anymore.

The GT Emira will end up being what the Emira, as a purists car, should have always been and I’ll certainly be trading mine in once it’s available.
yes you probably wont be the only one..... but will it be worth the 30//40 k extra, for those that dont have an excess of cash. It will also no doubt have a spoiler and I dont think that design works with one.... from what I have seen

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't follow him but didn't he say in his Emira sneak peak review that he was going to the US or something? So maybe he missed the 2 weeks when the press cars were on rotation. Or perhaps Lotus told him he can have one "soon"? :)

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't follow him but didn't he say in his Emira sneak peak review that he was going to the US or something? So maybe he missed the 2 weeks when the press cars were on rotation. Or perhaps Lotus told him he can have one "soon"? :)
Could be delayed because he was doing Gumball 3000.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
yes you probably wont be the only one..... but will it be worth the 30//40 k extra, for those that dont have an excess of cash. It will also no doubt have a spoiler and I dont think that design works with one.... from what I have seen
By 2024/25 everyone will be saying that it's too slow and too expensive.
They were saying the same about the Evora GT430 2 years ago so can't see anything changing in the future! Anything over 100k and you just buy a GT3 or a myriad of other cars. If I recall the Evora GT430 Sport was circa £135k....
Why I was hoping the Emira would at least have had options to make it lighter/faster. Hopefully these may come, if they don't I think Lotus is missing a trick aftermarket as plenty of 3rd parties will fill the gap!

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think we all know there will be a few influencers that will probably get their late order cars at the same time dealers are getting demo cars. No hate here tho is what it is 😇

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think we all know there will be a few influencers that will probably get their late order cars at the same time dealers are getting demo cars. No hate here tho is what it is 😇
They need the influencers to mitigate some of the bad reviews..

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I believe he (with many others) attended a big event at Laguna Seca this week. He'll probably post something soon when he returns home.

I'm not a huge Schmee fan either but I do want more Emira content!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had dinner with Jethro and he said he was kidding just to see the reaction of forum members. Then Harry invited me to his garage and we had a James' Gin.
Car and Driver review.
For those looking for the latest Emira reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video Review<youtube> None yet released.
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticle
AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video Review
Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticle
GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Admin Note:
See Car and Driver review: 2023 Emira Is a Grown-Up Lotus (caranddriver.com)
The 2023 Emira is a Grown-up Lotus.
As Lotus's final combustion-powered model and almost certainly the last that won't feature a multitude of drive-by-wire systems, the Emira is the end of an era for the brand. It definitely still drives like a Lotus. But it's everything else about the Emira that has massively improved. For all the handling brilliance that we've come to associate with Lotus's cars, their limited usability and iffy quality never made it hard to find excuses not to buy one. The Emira makes that much more difficult to do.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Car and Driver review.

Admin Note:
See Car and Driver review: 2023 Emira Is a Grown-Up Lotus (caranddriver.com)
The 2023 Emira is a Grown-up Lotus.
As Lotus's final combustion-powered model and almost certainly the last that won't feature a multitude of drive-by-wire systems, the Emira is the end of an era for the brand. It definitely still drives like a Lotus. But it's everything else about the Emira that has massively improved. For all the handling brilliance that we've come to associate with Lotus's cars, their limited usability and iffy quality never made it hard to find excuses not to buy one. The Emira makes that much more difficult to do.
Thanks @EspritGuy , I've added it to the index. (y)

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Everyone assumed that the default rev limit is 6800rpm in Tour and +200rpm therefore meant 7000rpm (max).

Perhaps the default rev limit is now 6600rpm and in Sport or Track it is 6800rpm. :ROFLMAO:

#forthedebaters

I have some news to share based on recent correspondence from Lotus on the engine max RPM topic.

As we know from information shared before, the maximum engine speed on the Emira V6 is linked to drive mode. Seems that my hypothesis above was indeed correct.

In Tour driving mode, the rev limit is 6,600rpm. In Track mode with ESC Off, the engine rpm limit increases by +200rpm to 6,800rpm.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have some news to share based on recent correspondence from Lotus on the engine max RPM topic.

As we know from information shared before, the maximum engine speed on the Emira V6 is linked to drive mode. Seems that my hypothesis above was indeed correct.

In Tour driving mode, the rev limit is 6,600rpm. In Track mode with ESC Off, the engine rpm limit increases by +200rpm to 6,800rpm.
I think that's even worse!
Jeez. So now my 2022 outright sportscar redlines at the same level as my 1995 V6 Corrado...
If your listening Lotus these little things make all the difference!