Emira performance - disappointing?

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If people bought sports cars based on logic, everyone would be in Caymans or 911s.
I stand corrected. Logic is BS because I’m here spending more on a car than I paid for my 1st house. Also, from a reviewer I trust his comments on Porsche vs Emira seem to echo a lot of people’s sentiments regarding overall driving performance/experience and mine regarding the insides not being totally rethought (marketing but I’m glad for that). The only thing I have left to say is “I have the money, where the hell is my car!”

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had to google what that car is…. Pretty awesome !! Ok you are for sure under 4.0 sec lol! But I don’t consider that a “normal” street car and we can’t buy those in North America. Super cool tho!
There are already a few in the US and more coming…

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/donkervoort-sell-cars-in-us-1234727223/

177129D6-4AFA-4BCF-8F93-C4F6B372C6E4.jpeg

Panda47

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Don't put your words in my mouth. Lotus is not slow, just too slow for your lofty expectations. They are plenty fast and fun to drive. I don't find Lotus to be unreliable, and never said they were. I've had several and they were as reliable as any car. Overpriced? Maybe, but probably not for a handmade car. I put my money down so it must not bother me too much.

To be brutally honest, I have no idea why you are even on this forum. Clearly Lotus isn't the car for you. You come across as a basic troll, trying to bring your negativity to the rest of the members. Go buy your Evora or Saleen or whatever else you want and take this relentless Lotus bashing BS with you.

Moderators, feel free to punish me.
Bravo,I couldn't have said it better myself

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Ft.S

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am a late commer to this thread and if I am speaking out of turn, I apoligize. Also, I am not trying to make excuses for Lotus.

However, more power in any car comes with many compromises generally not immediately obvious. More power means, stronger trans, diff, drive shafts, more cooling, bigger brakes, sometimes even stronger subframe, etc. stronger generally means bigger, all of those components occupying more space.

I am a noob to Lotus, so I do not know their philosophy beyond their focus on lightness and handling. If these were the main goals, the best decision they made, IMHO, is to have double-wishbone front and rear suspension. This takes up a lot of space compared to other configurations. Emira being bigger than Evora, I would assume the control arms are much longer than in the Evora. So, if they had to compromise between 450 hp and multi-link suspension in the rear and McPherson in the front vs. 400 hp and double-wishbone config on all four corners, I am very glad they made the later choice.

comparatively, the BMW G80 makes 473 hp, with a street oriented suspension, cooling and brakes, weighs over 3700 lbs, uses 18”/19” wheels and only accelerates to 60 mph in 4.1 sec per factory. Not to mention that they achieve that with twin turbos and a flat torque curve from 2800 rpm. Naturally it is $30K cheaper, poor engineering IMO.

similarly the Cayman GT4 and even the RS use McPherson strut and multi-link rear. The GT accelerates to 60 mph in 4 secs With 414 hp while being about the same weight, and that acceleration comes when equiped with PCCB brakes.

if Lotus cared about about 0-60 or believed their target customers cared about that, they would have released a base Emira with 19” tires and wheels with floating caliper brakes.

I, for one, am so glad they live up to their reputation and not short changed us, the enthusiasts.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am a late commer to this thread and if I am speaking out of turn, I apoligize. Also, I am not trying to make excuses for Lotus.

However, more power in any car comes with many compromises generally not immediately obvious. More power means, stronger trans, diff, drive shafts, more cooling, bigger brakes, sometimes even strong subframe, etc. stronger generally means bigger, all of those components occupying more space.

I am a noob to Lotus, so I do not know their philosophy beyond their focus on lightness and handling. If these were the main goals, the best decision they made, IMHO, is to have double-wishbone front and rear suspension. This takes up a lot of space compared to other configurations. Emira being bigger than Evora, I would assume the control arms are much longer than in the Evora. So, if they had to compromise between 450 hp and multi-link suspension in the rear and McPherson in the front vs. 400 hp and double-wishbone config on all four corners, I am very glad they made the later choice.

comparatively, the BMW G80 makes 473 hp, with a street oriented suspension, cooling and brakes, weighs over 3700 lbs, uses 18”/19” wheels and only accelerates to 60 mph in 4.1 sec per factory. Not to mention that achieve that with twin turbos and a flat torque curve from 2800 rpm. Naturally it is $30K cheaper, poor engineering IMO.

similarly the Cayman GT4 and even the RS use McPherson strut and multi-link rear. The GT accelerates to 60 mph in 4 secs With 414 hp while being about the same weight, and that acceleration comes when equiped with PCCB brakes.

if Lotus cared about about 0-60 or believed their target customers cared about that, they would have released a base Emira with 19” tires and wheels with floating caliper brakes.

I am, for one, so glad they live up to their reputation and not short changed us, the enthusiasts.
Not a bad retort. I think, at least for me, is that the configuration CAN produce more but is deliberately tuned down “for emissions” when all of us don’t have the same emissions requirements. Where I live there is no emissions test just a test of the fuel cap vacuum and general safety like lights etc…it’s $12 at any oil change quick lube type place. They could give a literal crap if I have a cat under there or valve bypassed etc… as long as I’m not stupid loud or have a James Bond smokescreen out the rear.

Ft.S

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can you imagine Lotus trying to explain all of the engineering compromises they had to make to explain some of their decisions? I think “emissions” is an easy and short explanation 😛

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Not a bad retort. I think, at least for me, is that the configuration CAN produce more but is deliberately tuned down “for emissions” when all of us don’t have the same emissions requirements. Where I live there is no emissions test just a test of the fuel cap vacuum and general safety like lights etc…it’s $12 at any oil change quick lube type place. They could give a literal crap if I have a cat under there or valve bypassed etc… as long as I’m not stupid loud or have a James Bond smokescreen out the rear.
The thing is, we don't know yet what the U.S. spec Emira is going to have for performance because we haven't seen one yet. When GM made a C8 to be sold in Europe, they had to make it meet the Euro regs, and as a result it lost 15 hp compared to the U.S. version.

What vehicle manufacturers typically do for the U.S., is make their vehicles meet California's requirements because theirs are the strictest in the nation. A vehicle that can pass in California will pass in all 50 states. It's not practical to make cars for individual states otherwise.

Last edited:

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The thing is, we don't know yet what the U.S. spec Emira is going to have for performance because we haven't seen one yet. When GM made a C8 to be sold in Europe, they had to make it meet the Euro regs, and as a result, it lost 15 hp compared to the U.S. version.

What vehicle manufacturers typically do for the U.S., is make their vehicles meet California's requirements because theirs are the strictest in the nation. A vehicle that can pass in California will pass in all 50 states. It's not practical to make cars for individual states otherwise.
And California REALLY wants to get rid of all ICE and even hybrid vehicles. I've read that new houses must have solar and at some point be free of all natural gas lines.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
And California REALLY wants to get rid of all ICE and even hybrid vehicles. I've read that new houses must have solar and at some point be free of all natural gas lines.
And yet... to my knowledge there aren't any plans to build additional power plants. This is the state that every year tells its citizens to NOT use their air conditioners in peak summer hours to avoid causing power blackouts. This is with only a tiny fraction having and using electric cars. As more people get electric cars, that'll be the next thing; don't charge your cars during peak hours either.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
And yet... to my knowledge there aren't any plans to build additional power plants. This is the state that every year tells its citizens to NOT use their air conditioners in peak summer hours to avoid causing power blackouts. This is with only a tiny fraction having and using electric cars. As more people get electric cars, that'll be the next thing; don't charge your cars during peak hours either.
They did that, last Summer. But really, one out of every 10 vehicles I'm seeing on the road is an EV. Our gas costs over $5/gallon in order to nudge drivers in the EV direction.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The thing is, we don't know yet what the U.S. spec Emira is going to have for performance because we haven't seen one yet. When GM made a C8 to be sold in Europe, they had to make it meet the Euro regs, and as a result it lost 15 hp compared to the U.S. version.

I will gladly pay a premium for a vehicle that states “not legal to buy, sell, or trade in the State of California”.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score

I have to admit, even with my background in EE, I was slow to go electric. Last year we put in a solar system by Tesla, switched to a hybrid water heater, and our electricity bills have been about $6 for the past couple of months, with $300-$400 being more typical. This is with charging my wife's new Model Y. She loves the car and refuses to drive anything else. I am now one of those guys that will talk your ears off about the benefits of installing solar panels. Ultimately, I believe these goals are better achieved through communicating the advantages of electric systems for certain applications and encouraging behavior change through tax credits, rather than coercive legislation/regulation.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I will gladly pay a premium for a vehicle that states “not legal to buy, sell, or trade in the State of California”.
You’re in Dallas TX metro right? Your maximum allowable emissions values are the same as California for the Emira. By the time I receive my first emissions test (we’re exempt for test for 8 years) you’ll have received 7 emissions tests and 7 safety inspections. Our tests don’t actually even test actual emissions just that the readiness monitor over obd2 is happy. Your state gets the tailpipe sniff test.

As a car enthusiast I’m glad I don’t have to have Texas’ regulations.

Corkdsp

Reaction score
You mean it will come “soon”

And it’s not status. That’s what a Ferrari is for. I simply want something that I can legitimately be proud to own and drive every day. A 5 second car that looks cool isn’t going to work no matter how well it corners. I’m not going to drag race the thing or go at warp speed around town but the car has the lines, the looks, the sound, and the pedigree of an expertly engineered sports car. It should have the muscle to back it up. That’s not too much to ask.
Sounds like you should look at the 911 T Manual. Loving mine after 1 month of driving daily

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
People seem to forget that the first Esprit had 160hp and the last one had 350hp. The first Elise had 118hp and the last one had 250hp. The first Evora had 275hp and the last one had 430hp.

There will be faster Emiras down the line. They're coming. You have to be patient. Stop comparing the last Evora to the first Emira.