Emira performance - disappointing?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So what you’re saying is Lotus is slow, unreliable and overpriced? Gotcha. Isn’t that Maserati?
Don't put your words in my mouth. Lotus is not slow, just too slow for your lofty expectations. They are plenty fast and fun to drive. I don't find Lotus to be unreliable, and never said they were. I've had several and they were as reliable as any car. Overpriced? Maybe, but probably not for a handmade car. I put my money down so it must not bother me too much.

To be brutally honest, I have no idea why you are even on this forum. Clearly Lotus isn't the car for you. You come across as a basic troll, trying to bring your negativity to the rest of the members. Go buy your Evora or Saleen or whatever else you want and take this relentless Lotus bashing BS with you.

Moderators, feel free to punish me.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Don't put your words in my mouth. Lotus is not slow, just too slow for your lofty expectations. They are plenty fast and fun to drive. I don't find Lotus to be unreliable, and never said they were. I've had several and they were as reliable as any car. Overpriced? Maybe, but probably not for a handmade car. I put my money down so it must not bother me too much.

To be brutally honest, I have no idea why you are even on this forum. Clearly Lotus isn't the car for you. You come across as a basic troll, trying to bring your negativity to the rest of the members. Go buy your Evora or Saleen or whatever else you want and take this relentless Lotus bashing BS with you.

Moderators, feel free to punish me.
You can always tap the "ignore" next to their account name. :)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
the GT4 feels quicker especially at low ends. There’s no hesitation or lag because of the naturally aspirated engine. The linear delivery is consistent throughout. I have mine in pdk and with launch it can do 0-60 in under 3.5. Car and driver got 3.3 but I’ve never been able to do that.

Anyway, the Emira is sweet and straight line speed isn’t its habitat. Handling, I think the GT4 is still as good but that’s subjective. Roll is hard to compare honestly because you have to do the same exact track at the same speed and angle realistically to tell and I just think it comes down to memory and I can’t recall.

The real problem here is failing Emiras! What’s the point of having such a beautiful car (inside and out I might add), if you can’t drive the damn thing?
maybe in PDK the GT4 feel much quicker (because it is haha). But from what I remember (short drive) Emira's low end pick up felt a bit better than my 718 Spyder. At the very least similar in power. (not in the top end tho) I think the PDK in 718 4.0 cars are completely different beasts and probably feel significantly quicker than their manual counterparts.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
maybe in PDK the GT4 feel much quicker (because it is haha). But from what I remember (short drive) Emira's low end pick up felt a bit better than my 718 Spyder. At the very least similar in power. (not in the top end tho) I think the PDK in 718 4.0 cars are completely different beasts and probably feel significantly quicker than their manual counterparts.
Yeah, that’s true. Although you have more fun driving outside of the track than me! Top down with the 6 speed, baby!

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don’t have a proper track near me for like 90 mins. I do intend to back road this thing on the daily; just leave early for work. So yea, joy and experience are important but reliability and power are important too. So yes, I want a car that is fun as hell to drive, that pulls some g’s when I hit the gas (not head slapping like Ferrari), have a nice loud exhaust note, turn heads, and not be something everyone else already has - like a Porsche or a Vette.

Is that asking too much for $120k US or whatever the 3rd iteration will be. I don’t expect mine until at least 2025 late or 2026. 2022 depositor.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm starting to think @Hell4Leather is just trolling us.
Is it trolling to want value for money? I really did deposit on the car coming up on a year now. I was shopping for a ‘21 GT when I came across the Emira. Better lines, updated infotainment, my choice how to spec it. I jumped right in. I guess it proves everyone’s point that I was too stupid to realize that the new Emira wouldn’t be as good performance wise as the last year Evora. Shame on me. That’s what I get for applying some logic and getting excited about a new Lotus.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s what I get for applying some logic and getting excited about a new Lotus.

Logic isn't welcome in the Lotus world. I learned that when I started asking questions about the cars and brand years ago. It's a niche car for quirky buyers who want to be different and have a great all-around exotic sportscar that'll never be best at any one thing. If people bought sports cars based on logic, everyone would be in Caymans or 911s.

Panda47

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The thing is: “the true driver’s car” is the same phrase used in the brochure for the Saleen 1 and a number of other similarly priced sports cars with better numbers. Lotus is what I want but even if I don’t use all the muscle it has, I need the vehicle to have it. Otherwise we’re paying for the badge.
The phrase is "For The Drivers"

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Logic isn't welcome in the Lotus world. I learned that when I started asking questions about the cars and brand years ago. It's a niche car for quirky buyers who want to be different and have a great all-around exotic sportscar that'll never be best at any one thing. If people bought sports cars based on logic, everyone would be in Caymans or 911s.
Quirky is good!

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
In isolation, the acceleration is disappointing IF you have experienced faster.

However, as shown on my track day, with me as a complete novice, such is the speed that you can take into, through and out of corners that it matters not - in the real world.

Therefore, overall, the performance is amazing (but I'd love that extra kick on a motorway)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
In isolation, the acceleration is disappointing IF you have experienced faster.

However, as shown on my track day, with me as a complete novice, such is the speed that you can take into, through and out of corners that it matters not - in the real world.

Therefore, overall, the performance is amazing (but I'd love that extra kick on a motorway)
And THAT my friend, is what's known as a momentum car. This is what a Lotus has always been about instead of raw, straight-line performance. A Lotus is a true sports car, not a muscle car, although the last of the ICE generations of muscle cars are pretty formidable, but they're heavy.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The phrase is "For The Drivers"
I was quoting another poster who called the Emira that. The general idea of being engaged with the vehicle and how it communicates is used by several brands. I believe Lotus however. That’s one promise they have delivered on for years.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Why the hell isn’t it 430 HP and 0-100km in 3.8 like the Evora? (416 hp in the USA damnit). It’s the same powertrain. Tuned down my foot. Sell me a plug in usb for $1 to tune it back up where it’s supposed to be.
It’s 250lbs heavier

meccanisti

Reaction score
It’s 250lbs heavier

Also there's the small point that an Evora 430 is about £20k sterling more expensive than the V6 FE - both new and now second hand....

In today's money the Evora 400 was/is about the same as an Emira FE.

The even better news is the Emira engine is basically the 430 with a pegged back rev limit and some emissions equipment, so a chip and a bypass pipe might have it back to 430 pretty easily once the aftermarket get properly going.

I think my money will be better spent going into Nitrons though, not getting 8.3% more power...

Last edited:

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well... there's a couple caveats to this.

1. A 718 GT4/Spyder is 4.4s 0-60 with a manual - Getting below 4 Sec. in any manual car is almost impossible. This comes down to the driver and how much abuse you want your car to go through. This is also the reason performance cars no longer offer manuals. (Ferrari, Porsche RS cars, Lambo, Corvette) So keep in mind the only new manual car you can bench mark is a Cayman GTS 4.0 - they probably are the same if not very close in acceleration.
Well…the official number for my MANUAL Donkervoort GTO-JD70 is 0-60 in 2.7 seconds.
Without any abuse.

It needs a lot of skill…to be subtile and have great feel instead of abuse.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well…the official number for my MANUAL Donkervoort GTO-JD70 is 0-60 in 2.7 seconds.
Without any abuse.

It needs a lot of skill…to be subtile and have great feel instead of abuse.
I had to google what that car is…. Pretty awesome !! Ok you are for sure under 4.0 sec lol! But I don’t consider that a “normal” street car and we can’t buy those in North America. Super cool tho!