Emira performance - disappointing?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Check out this link with the quickest 0-100 KM (0-62 MPH) manual cars. Even a 911 992 Sport classic is 4.1 sec 0-62 @ 543 BHP. (3.9 0-60 MPH) Although Porsche is known to over perform with their PDK 0-60's - this list shows that getting below 4 Sec in a manual is very difficult. I have doubts that a GT430 Evora could do 3.8 (in manual form) with an average driver. Maybe on the perfect day with a lot of abuse.

The only car I would say could easily do it consistently is the Exige cup 430. That is just an animal considering weight vs power.

Last edited:
OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Did anyone ever wonder if a 3.8 sec claim on the Evora GT430 was a true number? We're not really comparing apples with apples here as I don't know of any proper benchmarking on the GT430 Evoras (other than what myself and a few others did with their iphones).

I am absolutely not complaining about performance (because it feels fast enough to me), but I have been shredded by a 718 GT4 (PDK?) on straight line acceleration on the Autobahn this weekend. And also by a TT RS. But I would not want to have any of these two over the Emira.

Having said that, I honestly believe that the published numbers for the Evora were a bit optimistic. I'd be delighted to offer my GT430 Sport for a test if anyone comes by with a RaceBox. But my gut feeling is that the straight line speed crew will be disappointed (or reliefed that the Emira isn't that bad in comparison).
That’s really my concern about the Emira whatever edition. With its pedigree and looks and price it should be able to hold its own. Getting shredded by what some would consider its close competitors isn’t really where I’d like to be. Yea, it looks good, yea it handles well; but shouldn’t it perform at least well enough to not get blown over.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
First edition ain’t even here yet and you’re wondering about other variants lol.
Well, since we are getting cars like 18m later than UK and ICE production isn't forever, it may well be that in 6m or so they announce a new version for 2025 or 2026. To some extent it would be good because people can roll their deposits.

I think @TomE has a deposit for a future version. So I'm not so crazy 😜...

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That’s really my concern about the Emira whatever edition. With its pedigree and looks and price it should be able to hold its own. Getting shredded by what some would consider its close competitors isn’t really where I’d like to be. Yea, it looks good, yea it handles well; but shouldn’t it perform at least well enough to not get blown over.
Hold off the criticism until the i4 is released, I think you will be very surprised by the performance. I drove the manual V6 and it feels just as quick as Cayman GT4. Yes the Cayman will be quicker (def after 5K RPM) around track and overall the top end of the Cayman 4.0 is quicker, but the Emira is not far enough behind for me to consider it completely wasted. This is coming from a 718 Spyder owner.

What other manual car would you take that is significantly faster than the Emira at the moment? I don't think you will be able to come up with a decent answer. Even a 992 911 T is quoted at 4.5 0-62 MPH.

If your comparing DCT - then wait for the i4's reviews to be fair.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hold off the criticism until the i4 is released, I think you will be very surprised by the performance. I drove the manual V6 and it feels just as quick as Cayman GT4. Yes the Cayman will be quicker (def after 5K RPM) around track and overall the top end of the Cayman 4.0 is quicker, but the Emira is not far enough behind for me to consider it completely wasted. This is coming from a 718 Spyder owner.

What other manual car would you take that is significantly faster than the Emira at the moment? I don't think you will be able to come up with a decent answer. Even a 992 911 T is quoted at 4.5 0-62 MPH.

If your comparing DCT - then wait for the i4's reviews to be fair.
The i4 will be at my dealer in August. I’m down for a test drive.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The i4 will be at my dealer in August. I’m down for a test drive.
I think you will find the issue with Lotus will not be performance. I think they take performance fairly serious. Dealer network, build quality and customer service / aftercare is where everyone has legitimate qualms.

I did not know an i4 would be stateside this summer. Will be interested on that feedback for sure!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@TomE whats the latest on the future versions. When will they be announced? Will the come to the US?
It starting going quiet about the future version timing during the delays to FEs. There is still an intention to do hotter versions but no info on timing, not even rumours.

Originally it was expected they’d be announced 2 years after first FE deliveries started but I think that got paused when the order book got up to 2 years.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
t I have been shredded by a 718 GT4 (PDK?) on straight line acceleration on the Autobahn this weekend. And also by a TT RS.
I was in the same situation last week.
Highway straight and I found a Porsche 911 Turbo (997) year 2009-10.
He decided to joke on me. of course when his turbo kicks in you could see him taking off.
I didn't give up, and in three turns I overtook him at speed that cannot be disclosed.
He overtook me again on the straight line, and then he decided to take the next exit on the highway. I think he learned the lesson and will only drive the car on straight line from now.
This is what this car is about, how it handles the turns is amazing, but then you need to be a great driver like me. 🤣🤣🤣

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I drove the manual V6 and it feels just as quick as Cayman GT4. Yes the Cayman will be quicker (def after 5K RPM) around track and overall the top end of the Cayman 4.0 is quicker, but the Emira is not far enough behind for me to consider it completely wasted. This is coming from a 718 Spyder owner..
Having swapped my Emira for a (manual) GT4 I’d say the GT4 seems quicker everywhere. On paper the numbers suggest there shouldn’t be much in it but in reality I’d say it is fairly noticeable over the same roads in similar conditions.
Not that this would be a primary differentiator between the two - for me the seats (LWBs) and seating position, engine character and interior would be the things that would have me reaching for the GT4 keys over the Emira - unless the roads were cold and wet when the Emira would be the choice (as long as it wasn’t actually raining!).

Foxy87

Reaction score
Nope, I was driving the 718 Gt4 right the day after I drove the emira on the same roads. Emira felt like it pulled harder at least in first and second and was much more fun on public roads. You cant even wring out that second gear in the GT4 without going to jail… Made me completely forgot the Gt4 although it was my dreamcar for like forever!

(Maybe need to give the 981 GT4 another chance though before write it off completely…)

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd say the likelihood of this happening is somewhere in the vicinity of 0%.
Perhaps, but seems a strange thing to say if they didn’t have reasonable expectation. There’s no money in it.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Having swapped my Emira for a (manual) GT4 I’d say the GT4 seems quicker everywhere. On paper the numbers suggest there shouldn’t be much in it but in reality I’d say it is fairly noticeable over the same roads in similar conditions.
Not that this would be a primary differentiator between the two - for me the seats (LWBs) and seating position, engine character and interior would be the things that would have me reaching for the GT4 keys over the Emira - unless the roads were cold and wet when the Emira would be the choice (as long as it wasn’t actually raining!).
I don’t disagree the GT4 is quicker, but in my short drive with the Emira I didn’t feel it was in a different league. The GT4 really feels faster above 5k RPM, but in the low end Emira felt a bit more urgent IMO. In the end, Lotus targeted an F-type and Cayman GTS 4.0. I think it competes perfectly well and between the two I would take an Emira. A manual car can no longer be about numbers or straight line speed. DCT’s are so good, manual is for driving in engagement now. GT4 is the better car, but the Emira > cayman GTS 4.0 & F-type

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Check out this link with the quickest 0-100 KM (0-62 MPH) manual cars. Even a 911 992 Sport classic is 4.1 sec 0-62 @ 543 BHP. (3.9 0-60 MPH) Although Porsche is known to over perform with their PDK 0-60's - this list shows that getting below 4 Sec in a manual is very difficult. I have doubts that a GT430 Evora could do 3.8 (in manual form) with an average driver. Maybe on the perfect day with a lot of abuse.

The only car I would say could easily do it consistently is the Exige cup 430. That is just an animal considering weight vs power.

Car & Driver magazine found the latest manual-trans Supra to do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Its a shame the Supra, even with 340 hp (!) is faster both in a straight line as well as on the track…
The inline 6 Supra has over 380 HP and is underrated according to dyno tests. I think it puts out more than 380 HP at the drive wheels. It is hard to believe that it would beat the Emira on a track, although they may be close.

Foxy87

Reaction score
The Supra sold in europe has 340 HP and already beat the Emira (by only 0.02s though) on track with same driver and the supra wasnt even on cup tires (Autobild Sportscars). There is no way around it. Yeah Emira is fun to drive and looks the business! Fast? Not so much… When even a 300 HP Cayman PdK on normal P Zeors is 3 tenth quicker on the track then its just kind of embarassing. I really hope lotus steps up the game With future variants and suspension setup.