Emira performance - disappointing?

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm sure a Caterham is even faster. Probably cheaper too. So many options for streetlight racing bragging rights.

I'm so glad I have no interest in that kind of stuff. I've to deal with all those racing me in my F80. So so unnecessary but I'll let them feel good about themselves.
I posted that in response to those who are so upset that the Evora is faster. Obviously, if speed is your ultimate criteria, the Emira is not the car to get. I don't need a Corvette that weighs 3600 lbs, yet I also don't want a car that has as many or more bugs, either.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And not just the paper times. I don’t care it is the feel. But a 4.6 feels like a 4.6 a 5 feels like a 5. A 3.8 Evora GT feels like a Lotus. I want that. I was shopping for one in 2021 when I came across the Emira. Same power plant, better lines, better infotainment, updated chassis- sign me up! Then all this……Why does wanting a new Lotus have to be a compromise?
I really don't understand why you aren't getting the fact that you're comparing two different trim levels.

This is literally the same as someone complaining that the new base model 911 isn't faster than the previous generation GTS because "It's the same drivetrain!"

The state of tune was significantly higher on the Evora GT / GT 410 than it was on the Evora S and Evora 400.

The Emira V6 FE is in an equivalent state of tune to the Evora 400, not the Evora GT.

When they release an Emira S or Emira GT, then you'll get an apples to apples car. Until then, you're comparing things that simply aren't engineered to be the same.

alvitdk

Reaction score
Who cares , speed kills 😝 , drive slower and admire the scenery / reflections of the emira along with the joy of driving it .
The view from the drivers position , the joy of the chassis in the turns and twists it’s never going to be a drag car / hardcore track car / 🤞it will be(come) reliable.
It has its niggles / quirks/ and maybe a flaw or two but overall it’s good car and £££ per smile hard to beat (2nd hand market excluded)
And of course she’s a beauty (pic to prove)

I cringe thinking we are supposed to just accept those little quirks and flaws because, well it's a Lotus.....just as Ethan in London.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I cringe thinking we are supposed to just accept those little quirks and flaws because, well it's a Lotus.....just as Ethan in London.

I remember this is the video that talked me out of owning a California. Also - everyone - pay attention to his thoughts on needing a battery tender. 🤔🤔🤔

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Base Emira V6 especially in manual form is a different type of car, more about feel then power. Yes I will agree they should have given it the 430 BHP from the last version Evora. But again you will be able to tune it to that fairly easily. This is what I will be doing once the car is out of warranty or if Lotus offer it as an upgrade I would choose it.
The last version Evora was 416 bhp in the US (Evora GT) and 410 bhp in the UK (Evora GT410 Sport). The 430 bhp version was a limited edition of 60 cars that failed to achieve certification in the US and was built before the GT and GT410 Sport.

I assume Lotus didn't go with 410, 416 or 430 in the Emira because they couldn't meet emissions under the new WLTP testing regime.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume Lotus didn't go with 410, 416 or 430 in the Emira because they couldn't meet emissions under the new WLTP testing regime.

I'll never understand this about the Emira. I can't think of any other sportscar manufacturer who's released a successor with less power and I don't buy the emissions excuse. Leaning out a tune typically results in more power with less fuel being burned, improved MPG, and fewer greenhouse gases released.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
emissions, stupid heavy seats which are too high and as i remember not comfortable either..
I had an S1 Elise 111s before I bought the Exige. That was a dog of a thing. I bought it with my heart not my head.
It had all sorts of problems I found out later but what a machine. Far better road car than the Exige and totally stripped out as standard. Seats fantastic with hardly any padding, weighed nothing and you could drag any chump behind you into a corner without breaking just to see the face of soiling themselves when they realised whatever they were driving couldn't cope.
My old elan has the least power but its a hoot to drive and sounds the dogs danglies!!
and a PS... I suspect there may be a deliberate throttling back of performance so a 'better' model can push through in time. Theres also that little niggle that as they plan on it being a daily driver for a big cross section of punters they don't want anyone arriving at the scene of the accident backwards due to not coping with a RWD 430 horse motor...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
WLTP has resulted in a lot of manufacturers having to make adjustments, as the basis of testing is different, more stringent and includes a wider range of driving and engine load scenarios. Many have found it means measured CO2 is higher than the previous NEDC tests.

meccanisti

Reaction score
All this waffle about the drivetrain and acceleration numbers…. I’ve picked up my Emira now, coming out of a 996.2 GT3 which has exactly the same 0-62 (100kph).

I can tell you the Emira feels stronger in the midrange and every bit as quick as the similarly figured Porsche. It’s also shorter geared which suits our roads better.

There will be a GT430/S model on shortly…

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'll never understand this about the Emira. I can't think of any other sportscar manufacturer who's released a successor with less power and I don't buy the emissions excuse. Leaning out a tune typically results in more power with less fuel being burned, improved MPG, and fewer greenhouse gases released.

Ford reduced the HP of 2022 Mustang GT from prior year models to meet emissions. That was right along the time when the Mustang Mach E came out I read that the reason Ford can continue to make V8's in the 2024 Mustang was because of the strategic move to produce the Mach E to get the EV credits. The article also said that is a big reason Dodge had to discontinue Hemi engines, no EV credits to balance it.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There will be a GT430/S model on shortly…
Says who? They are only making the Emira for ~5 yrs I believe they said. Granted the second year Evora was somewhat better than the FE but Lotus learns from their past mistakes don’t they…….😳

Foxy87

Reaction score
Says who? They are only making the Emira for ~5 yrs I believe they said. Granted the second year Evora was somewhat better than the FE but Lotus learns from their past mistakes don’t they…….😳
I was just about to ask the same thing. S/R/GT Version shortly? Hard to believe...

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
That's because, for whatever reason, you and a few others don't want to understand. The final year Exige with the 3.5 V6 produced 430 hp. The FIRST year Evora which was the successor to the Exige, had the same 3.5 V6 and it produced 380 hp. The final Evora put out 430 from the same 3.5 V6, just like the final year Exige. The FIRST year Emira beats the first year Evora, by using the same 3.5 V6 but giving it 400 hp instead of 380. There's a pattern there if people care to look at it.

Each year as the government regulations get tighter and tighter, they have to keep reworking the ECU tune. Whether you want to "buy" that or not doesn't change the reality of it.

meccanisti

Reaction score
I was just about to ask the same thing. S/R/GT Version shortly? Hard to believe...
Literally how every car company works. What do you think Lotus is going to sell all those FE customers in 2025 (mid cycle even by your reckoning)?

An S model or something similar.

2024 will be about the base/i4 2025 will be the trade up model.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
@TomE whats the latest on the future versions. When will they be announced? Will the come to the US?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's because, for whatever reason, you and a few others don't want to understand. The final year Exige with the 3.5 V6 produced 430 hp. The FIRST year Evora which was the successor to the Exige, had the same 3.5 V6 and it produced 380 hp. The final Evora put out 430 from the same 3.5 V6, just like the final year Exige. The FIRST year Emira beats the first year Evora, by using the same 3.5 V6 but giving it 400 hp instead of 380. There's a pattern there if people care to look at it.

Each year as the government regulations get tighter and tighter, they have to keep reworking the ECU tune. Whether you want to "buy" that or not doesn't change the reality of it.
Actually the first year Evora was normally aspirated and only produced about 275hp. The same as my RAV4.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did anyone ever wonder if a 3.8 sec claim on the Evora GT430 was a true number? We're not really comparing apples with apples here as I don't know of any proper benchmarking on the GT430 Evoras (other than what myself and a few others did with their iphones).

I am absolutely not complaining about performance (because it feels fast enough to me), but I have been shredded by a 718 GT4 (PDK?) on straight line acceleration on the Autobahn this weekend. And also by a TT RS. But I would not want to have any of these two over the Emira.

Having said that, I honestly believe that the published numbers for the Evora were a bit optimistic. I'd be delighted to offer my GT430 Sport for a test if anyone comes by with a RaceBox. But my gut feeling is that the straight line speed crew will be disappointed (or reliefed that the Emira isn't that bad in comparison).