Emira performance - disappointing?

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Because otherwise how else will I feel superior to strangers on the internet?
7n49hq.jpg

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My 435d is probably faster than an Emira (398bhp and 800Nm) but thats not why I'm buying one (unless the reliability stories scare me aware at the last minute😁)

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Basically the idea is taking a Lotus Seven and giving it the Singer treatment. Just in this case, it's Reimagined By Donkervoort.
They look amazing, but $$$? Isn't a Caterham more cost competitive and similar in spirit?

I have a Caterham - a 485 CSR. It can‘t be compared with a Donkervoort, which is exquisite, megafast, all carbon, plus very comfortable for a week of touring around Europe. There‘s nothing you can buy for the same money that is so exclusive and fast and which can do it alL.

Their new model sold out instantly as it is limited to 100 pieces. Beautifully made and even faster.

https://www.donkervoort.com/nl/modellen/f22/

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have a Caterham - a 485 CSR. It can‘t be compared with a Donkervoort, which is exquisite, megafast, all carbon, plus very comfortable for a week of touring around Europe. There‘s nothing you can buy for the same money that is so exclusive and fast and which can do it alL.

Their new model sold out instantly as it is limited to 100 pieces. Beautifully made and even faster.

https://www.donkervoort.com/nl/modellen/f22/
I have never enjoyed driving a car and seeing a bunch of hood in front of me. To me you lose some connection to the road. This is why I prefer cab forward engine rear car design. You look out and all you see is the road which to me feels more connected. Personal preference but that is my experience. Great performing car though.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
People seem to forget that the first Esprit had 160hp and the last one had 350hp. The first Elise had 118hp and the last one had 250hp. The first Evora had 275hp and the last one had 430hp.

There will be faster Emiras down the line. They're coming. You have to be patient. Stop comparing the last Evora to the first Emira.
The last Evora was 410/416bhp depending on country. The penultimate Evora was 430 and not available globally.
/pedant mode ;)

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have never enjoyed driving a car and seeing a bunch of hood in front of me. To me you lose some connection to the road. This is why I prefer cab forward engine rear car design. You look out and all you see is the road which to me feels more connected. Personal preference but that is my experience. Great performing car though.
It has open wheels and cycle wings…its by far the most ‘connected‘ car I own and have owned…

C02A447C-28CF-4B0D-AF6D-A47FD39F04CB.jpeg

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You’re in Dallas TX metro right? Your maximum allowable emissions values are the same as California for the Emira. By the time I receive my first emissions test (we’re exempt for test for 8 years) you’ll have received 7 emissions tests and 7 safety inspections. Our tests don’t actually even test actual emissions just that the readiness monitor over obd2 is happy. Your state gets the tailpipe sniff test.

As a car enthusiast I’m glad I don’t have to have Texas’ regulations.
Perhaps. We'll be happy to sell you gas at $2.81 gallon. ;)

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have to admit, even with my background in EE, I was slow to go electric. Last year we put in a solar system by Tesla, switched to a hybrid water heater, and our electricity bills have been about $6 for the past couple of months, with $300-$400 being more typical. This is with charging my wife's new Model Y. She loves the car and refuses to drive anything else. I am now one of those guys that will talk your ears off about the benefits of installing solar panels. Ultimately, I believe these goals are better achieved through communicating the advantages of electric systems for certain applications and encouraging behavior change through tax credits, rather than coercive legislation/regulation.
I have solar panels and pay nothing for electricity, but am more interested in sportscars (I guess that explains my XBOX Forza Horizons 5 with steering wheel/pedals/shifter/steering wheel setup in front of a 77-inch OLED TV.) than giant, super-heavy EVs. Besides, my ME background urges me to assemble, test, and appreciate mechanical things. I actually enjoy swapping sparkplugs and changing oil and filters. I don't do as much as I used to when I was younger, but do not want to do nothing when it comes to autos.
And then there's the interior. I love mechanical gauges, buttons, and knobs. If you compare, say, a Lexus LC500 or even ES series to that of any Tesla, to me, well, there is no comparison. I guess you can say I am spoiled after renting so many vehicles that have far more entertaining and beautiful interiors compared to what Tesla offers.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I have solar panels and pay nothing for electricity, but am more interested in sportscars (I guess that explains my XBOX Forza Horizons 5 with steering wheel/pedals/shifter/steering wheel setup in front of a 77-inch OLED TV.) than giant, super-heavy EVs. Besides, my ME background urges me to assemble, test, and appreciate mechanical things. I actually enjoy swapping sparkplugs and changing oil and filters. I don't do as much as I used to when I was younger, but do not want to do nothing when it comes to autos.
And then there's the interior. I love mechanical gauges, buttons, and knobs. If you compare, say, a Lexus LC500 or even ES series to that of any Tesla, to me, well, there is no comparison. I guess you can say I am spoiled after renting so many vehicles that have far more entertaining and beautiful interiors compared to what Tesla offers.
I have panels so I can do my part...but really so I can offset the emissions from my non electric cars. I can't see myself in one of those electric appliances.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My 435d is probably faster than an Emira (398bhp and 800Nm) but thats not why I'm buying one (unless the reliability stories scare me aware at the last minute😁)
I would be quicker point to point on a twisty in my Emira than my m4comp.
The m4 would be quicker straight line (straightline is a relative term for an f80 m4c), as long as it wasn't, below 10deg,... and or wet... or the road surface was a bit sketchy.. 😂

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was only an iPhone app test (and definitely not accurate), but I managed to get a 4.5 sec (0-100km/h) on that on my first and only try. I am by no means a race car driver, but I thought thats not too far away.
6124CAA6-2C37-43F9-8A83-9BA35529C841.png

What also should not be forgotten in the "performance debate": Lotus has a great reputation (in the last 10-15 years at least) of excellent brake performance and heat management. Doesn't help with straight line data sheet performance, but in real life spirited driving it is definitely important. Two very important factors when driving your car on the limit, there are very few cars which handle high braking without nearly any fade (carbon ceramics aside). Try a C63 AMG for example on a track for more than a few laps.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You’re in Dallas TX metro right? Your maximum allowable emissions values are the same as California for the Emira. By the time I receive my first emissions test (we’re exempt for test for 8 years) you’ll have received 7 emissions tests and 7 safety inspections. Our tests don’t actually even test actual emissions just that the readiness monitor over obd2 is happy. Your state gets the tailpipe sniff test.

As a car enthusiast I’m glad I don’t have to have Texas’ regulations.
My dealer is in Dallas. I’m not. Never had an emissions test on any car I’ve owned🤠🤠

Finbarqs

Reaction score
I want to know if they can tune it to have a higher redline... like 8K... Coming from the elise, that 8K hits the sweet spot between shifts.. maybe the gearing would be too tall at that point, but squeezing out an extra 1.2k on the track makes a huge diff...

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I want to know if they can tune it to have a higher redline... like 8K... Coming from the elise, that 8K hits the sweet spot between shifts.. maybe the gearing would be too tall at that point, but squeezing out an extra 1.2k on the track makes a huge diff...
How much money do you have to spend?

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How much money do you have to spend?
My understanding from JUBU product descriptions is that some of their ECUs/tunes allow for a higher redline but I'd highly doubt it's anywhere near 8K. I'd be happy with 7,000-7200 and not have it cut the power so hard although admittedly I didn't get much of a chance to test the rev limiter during my test drive.

Once warranty is out I'll be strongly considering the 460hp option but it's a bit premature for those decisions until we're driving the car around for longer periods IMHO.