Emira Issues - from final production cars

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the issue is how the cars are being built not the parts, lots of new people building cars under pressure that have never done that kind of thing before?

Lolub

Reaction score
I've been away from the forum for a few months, ever since I canceled my deposit.

However, do we know if there's any hard-hitting journalism investigating these issues with Lotus directly? Or any new Matt Windle interview confronting him with these issues?

I'm thinking contacting the media would be the only way to get this straightened out quickly for everyone globally, just not sure which or how... 🤔

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
44FBFD5B-38B4-4BFC-8E98-107331F04F5E.jpeg

Well, at least it wasn’t a 7 hour wait..

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've been away from the forum for a few months, ever since I canceled my deposit.

However, do we know if there's any hard-hitting journalism investigating these issues with Lotus directly? Or any new Matt Windle interview confronting him with these issues?

I'm thinking contacting the media would be the only way to get this straightened out quickly for everyone globally, just not sure which or how... 🤔
I can see it now. "English cottage-industry car company has some problems with some of its cars. No cars in US affected. Story at 11."

kennyn

Reaction score
So, AA found a number of fault codes, the most worrying related to throttle valve. He cleared them, started engine and they immediately reappeared. He suggested driving the car home as he wasn’t able to tow and the vehicle was drivable.

5 mins on motorway and engine in limp mode again. 40mph all the way to next services, vehicle now stuck in limp mode and revs are all over the place when idling, definitely a throttle valve issue.

We’re now waiting for a tow truck. Possible 7 hour wait apparently. This is our first night away without kids my wife and I have managed in 4 years! Concert missed and evening ruined.

I’m sure I will calm down eventually but I’m feeling quite bitter about the situation. I’d hoped there would be an offer of a courtesy car to continue our journey. Right now I don’t want to see the car ever again and a full refund..
I have just read your post from today, it sounds all too familiar to me, unfortunately.

If you're serious about rejecting the car, push customer care to proceed in that direction. I'm happy to share my experience if it helps.

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
I have just read your post from today, it sounds all too familiar to me, unfortunately.

If you're serious about rejecting the car, push customer care to proceed in that direction. I'm happy to share my experience if it helps.
Thanks, I'll see how I feel in the morning. It's a phenomenal car when it works..

I'd be interested to hear about your experience, and the outcome with Lotus.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

How long did it take to get your deposit back?

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I recall that when I worked for a medical oxygen concentrator company that was introducing a state-of-the-art, portable unit with advanced oxygen flow monitoring and relevant electronics, software, sensors, and compressor, I was tasked with setting up a large-scale burn-in area that required many temperature-switched exhaust fans above the dozen, multi-shelf racks to hold the concentrators. Power within that building needed to be upgraded to handle the much-increased power load.
The concentrators were run for 72 hours straight, and only after having no issues/warning lights was any of them allowed to ship to customers. Perhaps Lotus needs to do the same type of "burn-in" before selling any Emira.
Years later, I've done the same with my hobby products - kinetic watch winders and large fitness clocks, only my burn-in was for a much longer time period.

In other words, don't use customers as burn-in testers!

Last edited:

Ftype

Reaction score

(y)

Lolub

Reaction score
How long did it take to get your deposit back?
I'm in the US and I recall the dealer finance guy called me back within a couple of days after I spoke and requested it from the GM. They put it back on the card, but could only use one not two cards like with my original two deposits. Overall, it was painless, thank goodness.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm in the US and I recall the dealer finance guy called me back within a couple of days after I spoke and requested it from the GM. They put it back on the card, but could only use one not two cards like with my original two deposits. Overall, it was painless, thank goodness.
That's good to know. Being 80 miles from the closest dealership, plus all the issues I am seeing here have gotten me thinking of going another route when it comes to buying a competent sportscar. My first new car, a 2001 Corvette had a good drivetrain but bad electronics components and gaskets. I'd rather not go down that path again.

EFE

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see how I feel in the morning. It's a phenomenal car when it works..

I'd be interested to hear about your experience, and the outcome with Lotus.
Having experienced a very similar breakdown with our Emira and the same frustration I can tell you it will look better in the morning. Agree we should not be subject to this but the consolation is when running they are spectacular

Attachments

• Laurent Perrier.jpg
    Laurent Perrier.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 81

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Anybody have a look through the Asian forums yet. Google translate does an OK job of picking up chatter about paint problems. Ugggggg

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Are there no people from the factory or dealerships reading this forum? It would be interesting to hear their side of the story.
There was that Mr. D guy, but everytime he posts it gets deleted.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there no people from the factory or dealerships reading this forum? It would be interesting to hear their side of the story.

We have been told by Tom and a few others that Lotus do read the forums but do not post here with a couple of rare exceptions.

There have also been a couple of self claimed factory workers usually posting negative stuff - Mr D included - that disappear fairly fast. I suspect these are trolls or workers with a gripe, possibly former workers. I also suspect that their posts disappear after someone from Lotus contacts the admins.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
We have been told by Tom and a few others that Lotus do read the forums but do not post here with a couple of rare exceptions.

There have also been a couple of self claimed factory workers usually posting negative stuff - Mr D included - that disappear fairly fast. I suspect these are trolls or workers with a gripe, possibly former workers. I also suspect that their posts disappear after someone from Lotus contacts the admins.

Yup. That specific user was warned and issued temporary bans numerous times and continued to break rules. I reached out privately asking for proof of his claims and got no response every time. This isn't a forum for disgruntled workers (past or current) to vent about their employer (it initially started with complaints about holiday pay). Without responding to our private messages and without providing any evidence to the validity of his claims, and after numerous terms violations, we issued a permanent ban.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

He said he took early retirement wanting to put he skills to use as if you work for Lotus you should be able to have a pride in your work - rather than the Chinese pushing the numbers through at the cost of quality ?