Emira Issues - from final production cars

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The other Emira on the Absolute Lotus Scotland tour I went on recently had a similar issue with the hill hold.

petermal57

Reaction score
Same problem today, after 380km. What for fuel do you take?
for the first tank filling i had taken normal Super e95…
after i took Aral ultimate 102…i had the message reduced engine power….After 5km, is this a possibility for this problem…..?

Tim

Reaction score
Another few weeks and few hundred miles and I still “only” have two issues - wipers and no DAB
@Emirahep I had no DAB until I did a “refresh”. Have you tried that?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same problem today, after 380km. What for fuel do you take?
for the first tank filling i had taken normal Super e95…
after i took Aral ultimate 102…i had the message reduced engine power….After 5km, is this a possibility for this problem…..?
Referring to what problem?

petermal57

Reaction score
Referring to what problem?
The display of reduced engine power. I parked the car and after 3 hours the message was no longer there. Today however I had after a short tour, the car suddenly Shows me in the Garage the yellow check engine light accompanied by a strange noise in the front of the car. I switched off the engine, but the Engine light was still there, then the front fan started twice.
I started again and suddenly the yellow engine control light went out.. engine temperature 90 degrees, outside temperature 22 degrees..
to me, it seems as if the communication between the fan and the Motortemperature is Not working particularly good.
I Hope these things are only once, Not every day….

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Emirahep I had no DAB until I did a “refresh”. Have you tried that?

No but I will when I get the car back from the PPF shop on Thurs. thx for the tip. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Quick info in between:
My dealer told me Lotus is currently sending out new wiper motors. Apparently they know what cars are affected, because not everyone is scheduled for a replacement (yet?). Interestingly I wasn’t on the list but am definitely affected.
Seems like a software fix is finally off the table.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Quick info in between:
My dealer told me Lotus is currently sending out new wiper motors. Apparently they know what cars are affected, because not everyone is scheduled for a replacement (yet?). Interestingly I wasn’t on the list but am definitely affected.
Seems like a software fix is finally off the table.
I have heard the same thing - the fix is new wiper motors. Apparently they are waiting for sufficient supply to initiate the recall.

But I don’t know how they know which cars are affected ?

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
Currently stuck at Membury services on my 3rd drive. Power loss on M4, pulled over to hard shoulder - engine off and on again and power back, engine warning light stayed on.

20 mins at the services, restart engine and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. ‘ESC temporarily unavailable’ ‘SRS Service urgent’ engine light still on and temp flashing at 90c.

Waiting for roadside assist but added to previous issues that I haven’t reported here yet, I’m not loving life as a Lotus owner right now..

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
6927D9FA-2A9D-49DC-8595-EFD0433DFF41.jpeg
2DDE9D30-77DF-4956-A646-79C833BCAB25.jpeg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently stuck at Membury services on my 3rd drive. Power loss on M4, pulled over to hard shoulder - engine off and on again and power back, engine warning light stayed on.

20 mins at the services, restart engine and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. ‘ESC temporarily unavailable’ ‘SRS Service urgent’ engine light still on and temp flashing at 90c.

Waiting for roadside assist but added to previous issues that I haven’t reported here yet, I’m not loving life as a Lotus owner right now..

Ugh.. Good luck and keep us posted!

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
So, AA found a number of fault codes, the most worrying related to throttle valve. He cleared them, started engine and they immediately reappeared. He suggested driving the car home as he wasn’t able to tow and the vehicle was drivable.

5 mins on motorway and engine in limp mode again. 40mph all the way to next services, vehicle now stuck in limp mode and revs are all over the place when idling, definitely a throttle valve issue.

We’re now waiting for a tow truck. Possible 7 hour wait apparently. This is our first night away without kids my wife and I have managed in 4 years! Concert missed and evening ruined.

I’m sure I will calm down eventually but I’m feeling quite bitter about the situation. I’d hoped there would be an offer of a courtesy car to continue our journey. Right now I don’t want to see the car ever again and a full refund..

RafP

Reaction score
Jesus buddy feel for you lotus always been shocking but never left me stranded in the 6 years of Exige and Evora ownership I had (lots of errors).

I’d be fuming and done with brand forever it a new car did that on me.

Hope it gets sorted pronto.

How can their new car be the most unreliable 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly one of the big attractions of the Emira to me has always been the reliability of the Toyota powerplant, especially given Lotus's decade of experience with it. It's more than a little disheartening to hear about all the problems with limp mode / O2 sensors / throttle valve issues.

RafP

Reaction score
Honestly one of the big attractions of the Emira to me has always been the reliability of the Toyota powerplant, especially given Lotus's decade of experience with it. It's more than a little disheartening to hear about all the problems with limp mode / O2 sensors / throttle valve issues.
Epic fail as usual, only lotus can manage that.

The dreaded brake light switch of old was main culprit of issues (unable to engage sport) looks like a whole new level of electrical issues.

Muppets I can’t believe it, the I4 should be a comedy of errors if they can’t sort a drive train they have been using 14 years.