Emira Issues - from final production cars

Lolub

Reaction score
That's good to know. Being 80 miles from the closest dealership, plus all the issues I am seeing here have gotten me thinking of going another route when it comes to buying a competent sportscar. My first new car, a 2001 Corvette had a good drivetrain but bad electronics components and gaskets. I'd rather not go down that path again.
I agree on your thought process. I felt very relieved once I canceled, especially after continuing to read the ongoing issues. It would not work for me, but it's fine if it works for others.

ShootingSight

Reaction score
Just read the 31 pages. I'm on the wait list, but likely 2nd year, so hopefully these issues are sorted by the time my build comes up. I have a Europa with a Renault engine. There are 5 wires going to the engine, and I know what they all do (starter, distributor, temp sensor, oil pressure, and ground), OK a few more for the alternator, but you get my point. I have an Elise, and I'm scared to touch the electronics. The Emira digital systems and software are terrifying, and the dealer is 90 minutes away.

My brother said to get a Porsche, but they are not as sexy as the Lotus. Trouble is that in life, if you let sexy attract you, you usually end up giving away your house and paying alimony.

BTW has anyone done a passenger seat delete, so I can put in a dog bed for my dog? Not much of a daily if my dog doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Next Decade

Reaction score
Just read the 31 pages. I'm on the wait list, but likely 2nd year, so hopefully these issues are sorted by the time my build comes up. I have a Europa with a Renault engine. There are 5 wires going to the engine, and I know what they all do (starter, distributor, temp sensor, oil pressure, and ground), OK a few more for the alternator, but you get my point. I have an Elise, and I'm scared to touch the electronics. The Emira digital systems and software are terrifying, and the dealer is 90 minutes away.

My brother said to get a Porsche, but they are not as sexy as the Lotus. Trouble is that in life, if you let sexy attract you, you usually end up giving away your house and paying alimony.

BTW has anyone done a passenger seat delete, so I can put in a dog bed for my dog? Not much of a daily if my dog doesn't fit.

What kind of dog do you have? Buying this car as a daily, with no backup, is really a major lifestyle choice. I’d assume the majority of us here have multiple vehicles but could be wrong.

Instead of a seat delete, why not fully lower and recline the seat and add in layers of “bedding” to make it flat. You could go fancy with it (custom foam pad cut to fit the floorboard and fill the dips of the seat and bolstering) or you could just stuff several different layers of blankets in there and put a final cover over it.

It just seems inefficient to fully remove the seat for your dog unless you have zero possibility of ever having a non furry passenger.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I agree on your thought process. I felt very relieved once I canceled, especially after continuing to read the ongoing issues. It would not work for me, but it's fine if it works for others.
Saturday's Wall St. Journal included an article about Rivian selling trucks from their factory parking lot. Here's an interesting comment:
"Rivian Chief Executive RJ Scaringe said it is trying to get its manufacturing lines producing more vehicles to keep customers from bailing on orders. ""By far, the largest contributor to our cancellations are wait times,"" he said at an analyst conference in early June.
Rivian SUV buyers may face waits of a year and a half or more to get their vehicles, Scaring said."

Lolub

Reaction score
Saturday's Wall St. Journal included an article about Rivian selling trucks from their factory parking lot. Here's an interesting comment:
"Rivian Chief Executive RJ Scaringe said it is trying to get its manufacturing lines producing more vehicles to keep customers from bailing on orders. ""By far, the largest contributor to our cancellations are wait times,"" he said at an analyst conference in early June.
Rivian SUV buyers may face waits of a year and a half or more to get their vehicles, Scaring said."
Interesting indeed, thanks for posting it. I'm glad the WSJ is looking at least into those production woes for Rivian. Hope they do the same for Lotus now or soon... It also makes me wonder who has more cancellations now, Lotus or Rivian? 🤔

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Interesting indeed, thanks for posting it. I'm glad the WSJ is looking at least into those production woes for Rivian. Hope they do the same for Lotus now or soon... It also makes me wonder who has more cancellations now, Lotus or Rivian? 🤔
Good question. I'm sure neither wants to let that information "out of the bag".

ShootingSight

Reaction score

Right now I have two dogs, 50lb and 70lb. The Macan is the daily, they don't go in the Elise, and the Europa is in rebuild mode. 70lb is a sweet girl, but 14 years old, might not be around to see the Emira delivered.

That all said, my philosophy is that I am not a slave to my car; my car is a slave to me. So whatever I need to do to make the car meet my needs is fine. Dog bed in the Emira does not worry me. Human passengers can ride in the Porsche.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a strange issue. But not sure if it's supposed to be a feature... When raining overnight, for example, I open the driver's side door, and water pours out of an opening in the bottom of the door. This doesn't happen on the passenger side. Is this a drainage system of some kind, or an issue? Feel stupid for asking as it 'works' perfectly, as in all the water drains out only after the door is well clear of the car, but seems odd its only one side.

Briggo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a strange issue. But not sure if it's supposed to be a feature... When raining overnight, for example, I open the driver's side door, and water pours out of an opening in the bottom of the door. This doesn't happen on the passenger side. Is this a drainage system of some kind, or an issue? Feel stupid for asking as it 'works' perfectly, as in all the water drains out only after the door is well clear of the car, but seems odd its only one side.
I get the same from both doors after car has been washed! Not sure if any remediation is required!

JClem

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I get the same from both doors after car has been washed! Not sure if any remediation is required!
I had this on a 2005 Fiesta ST. One day I noticed a sloshing noise when I opened or closed the door and realised that the drain hole at the bottom was blocked.

It's strange that it doesn't drain when the door is closed though.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yeah definitely 100% normal to have drain holes in doors, all cars have it, but as others have said it’s a bit weird it only drains when the door is open. Maybe check that the drain hole isn’t partly blocked by something when it’s closed.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Quick update... So checked both drainage holes, and both were clear, same little slant in each one etc.

So now I'm concerned as to why only one side drains. Must have some kind of duff seal on the driver's side. I know this is not a mechanic support forum, so apologies, but does anyone have an idea of what I should check?

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For what it’s worth, my Elise is similar. Water exits at the bottom of the door when the drivers door is opened, but passenger side doesn’t. I reckon the passenger side drains continuously. My car’s 9 years old and in great condition, so whilst it may be worth more investigation, don’t stress about it!

MaybeNeedEmira

Reaction score
Quick update... So checked both drainage holes, and both were clear, same little slant in each one etc.

So now I'm concerned as to why only one side drains. Must have some kind of duff seal on the driver's side. I know this is not a mechanic support forum, so apologies, but does anyone have an idea of what I should check?

Is your parking/driveway level? Probably not if it sheds water.
Try parking the other way around and see if that affects which door retains water.
I'd imagine there's a drain at front AND trailing corners of the door - but could be an extra item for v2.0

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is your parking/driveway level? Probably not if it sheds water.
Try parking the other way around and see if that affects which door retains water.
I'd imagine there's a drain at front AND trailing corners of the door - but could be an extra item for v2.0
Yeah it’s a Big slope. I’ll park it differently and see what happens. Good idea, cheers

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
594E5562-E184-45CB-8DA8-C37AB74D4308.jpeg

Entire panel to the lower right of the steering wheel is loose and rattles a lot when driving. There’s about 7-8mm of play in there and pushing it back doesn’t fix anything. Not sure how to resolve this. It’s just worked loose over the past few weeks and is getting worse

Bit nervous to remove the panel and refit in case a fitting breaks. shouldn’t have to take that risk in a new car.