• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

My Emira Experience

kennyn

Reaction score
This has been posted elsewhere, so please excuse any reference to previous posts etc...

Apologies, this is a long post and I should issue a trigger warning for those who cannot see beyond a Lotus badge...
Today is the fourth happiest day of my Emira ownership. Following multiple delays and many promises that it'll be with you "soon", I was happy when it finally turned up on Jan 5th.

Once fully PPF'd and ceramic coated, the second time I was happy was when I collected it, and that's when things started to go downhill...
  • Tracker not working - Fixed following a home visit by a Scorpion field engineer
  • Clicking/tapping noise from the dash and engine bay
  • Mechanical noise on full lock
  • Bubbled finish on the dash surround - B&C ordered a replacement (it was on backorder)
  • Passenger side wind whistle over 50mph
  • Door seals/carpet poor fit
  • Random disconnects when using Android Auto
  • Wiper speed issue - well documented, but still no fix
  • Hill Start Assist error
  • Dash vents for demisting side windows not working/weird ventilation issues generally
  • ESC error, limp mode - more times than I care to remember over 727 miles
  • OSF brake pad issue - B&C replaced the pads and cleaned up the disc
  • Driver's door paint blisters that are getting worse - I'd hoped that this was a thing of the past with the alleged state-of-the-art paint facilities at Hethel, but obviously not
  • HVAC stuck on full heat
  • SOS System Service error
Granted, the majority of items on the list are little more than inconvenient issues, but ESC randomly switching off and the car going into limp mode is potentially dangerous and could be challenging legally should the worst happen, as could the wiper issue. As far as the paint blisters are concerned, who wants a brand-new car to be repainted?
I cannot fault B&C, they had no option other than to follow the Lotus field engineer's recommendations to replace the battery and update the software. It soon became apparent on the drive home that this had not addressed the variety of errors that appeared on the dash, but it had also introduced a new problem, the heating is now stuck on full heat, regardless of the settings.

Following many emails and calls with Lotus Customer Care (the least said about them the better) I was offered three options:
  • Keep trying to fix it, with no guarantee of a fix and no clear plan other than keep throwing parts/software at it and paint the door
  • Get me into another Emira, a cancelled order not the same as my spec
  • Reject the car and receive a refund
I decided that a refund was the right option for me, as Lotus was unable to convince me that anything material had changed on the production line that would ensure a replacement would be any better. The lack of fixes for the majority of the issues and no apparent timeline for when the updates would be available did little to build my confidence that the next software update would address the issues. I'm aware that there are quite a few Emira owners with cars built months after mine facing many of the same issues. They're having sensors, ECUs, wiring harnesses, etc replaced and software updates applied with mixed results, so I'm happy with my choice.

As I said in a previous post when the issues started to appear...how can customer cars have so many common problems? It feels like early customers are doing the real-world testing, despite all the talk of a new production facility, QC at every step, thousands of laps of the test track and however many development cars racking up many miles on road tests, etc.

The third happiest day of this disappointing experience came when I finally received my refund. It was a long drawn-out process that never progressed unless I kicked Customer Care every step of the way. They have no idea what is going on in other departments and will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get off the phone or answer emails in such a vague manner that they commit to nothing. From a customer's point of view, it appears that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing at Lotus Cars.

You would think that having eventually done the decent thing and paid out the invoice value of the car plus the detailing/PPF costs that I had incurred they'd be keen to collect the car...again, it took me kicking them to finally get this actioned. I fully expect that the car would still have been with me next month at this time if I hadn't pushed to get the car collected.

This brings us to today, the fourth happiest day. The car has finally been collected and I can put this disappointment behind me. It had been arranged that the car was going to be collected last Friday AM, but Customer Care didn't think to inform me that it had not been booked, leading to half a day stuck at home needlessly and me once again chasing Customer Care to find out what was going on.

This was my third Lotus bought from new and it will be my last. The previous two were not exactly high-quality items, they had their fair share of issues, some more serious than others, but I fell for the good looks of the Emira and the promises of much improved QC, but the reality of ownership is something that I could have happily done without. It will be interesting to see how things go once American customers start receiving their cars.

If Hethel hopes to compete and survive in the market that Lotus are positioning its products in they'd better up their game considerably before Geely decides that they can do better out of China.

As I type this, there are 38 Emira's on Autotrader, with a selection available under £80k and some of them haven't even been run in yet. Quite a few have been advertised for months and they're not exactly flying out of the showrooms, despite price reductions. Sure, there will be some flippers cars amongst them, who in my opinion deserve to take a financial hit, but still!

I can only hope that others enjoy a better experience than I have had and that their cars live up to the marketing hype.

IMG_20230614_111209.jpg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @kennyn. That sounds like a terrible experience and I'm glad you got your money back. It does sound like the Emira needed a lot more testing and better QC before releasing to customers.

Sorry if I missed it, but when was your initial delivery? Do you know the build date? Hoping many of these issues have been resolved, but we know some are still occurring with recent builds too

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What a gut punch to the brand. Hoping that Lotus fixes their issues but I’m not sure they’re going to.

OP
kennyn

kennyn

Reaction score
@VL3X I believe the build date was last November and the car was delivered on January 5th.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
@VL3X I believe the build date was last November and the car was delivered on January 5th.

Ah ok, so it was a very early build. That explains a lot. The initial brake pad issue was common and scary on those early builds. Many of the issues appear to be due to the cars sitting for so long waiting on parts. Brakes installed on cars left unmoved out in the elements for months, old batteries, etc.. These should have never been delivered to customers.

OP
kennyn

kennyn

Reaction score
Agreed, months of untold damage to various components as the partially completed cars were out in the elements at the worst time of the year. There's no need to wonder why batteries, wiring looms, sensors, etc. are causing issues now.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Actually that makes me wonder if there’s any pattern to the cars with ESC/limp mode issues being stored outside vs inside? Maybe there’s a general issue with water intrusion into the engine electronics?

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I bet it's because you ordered it from McDonald's 😁. Now that this chapter is over, which car is next on your list that you are looking forward to?

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Hugely disappointing, and inexcusable really plus a lot of wasted time and stress no doubt. At least you can now move on with funds intact.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have been disregarding most complaints but this feedback does make me wonder if a P car is the safe bet. Hopefully the issues are resolved before 2024 US deliveries.:unsure:

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Kennyn.

Very familiar indeed, including paintwork problems.

Sadly, I don’t think this is restricted to early builds. Mine was an April build, May delivery. I’m beginning to think the Emira is generally a dud. Albeit a very pretty one.

Happy to hear they reimbursed the cost of ceramic/PPF (as they should). Think I might go down the refund route.

OP
kennyn

kennyn

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I bet it's because you ordered it from McDonald's 😁. Now that this chapter is over, which car is next on your list that you are looking forward to?
I'm lucky enough to have other toys at my disposal to keep me amused. There's really nothing else catching my eye at the moment, but that could easily change next week...you know how it is ;)

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Someone in another thread said Lotus don't bother testing the cars properly on the test track any more.
If true, I guess this is the result.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone in another thread said Lotus don't bother testing the cars properly on the test track any more.
If true, I guess this is the result.

R&D is done on their test track, but yeah, I don't think every customer car is put on the track. There is a rumble strip they drive over to check for creaks and other noises, but I think that's really it for track testing. The other QC testing is all done in the factory now.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
R&D is done on their test track, but yeah, I don't think every customer car is put on the track. There is a rumble strip they do down to check for creaks and other noises, but I think that's really it for track testing. The other QC testing is all done in the factory now.
Imagine the complaints about delivery miles if they were all tested.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My experience is similar to OP and my car has been at dealer for 3 months now, still not fixed.
Can you ask for a new one at this point, like OP was offered?