DIY: V6 Manual 1st, 2nd & Reverse Adjustment - Hard To Get Into Gear

Yeah! If you think your shifter isn't smooth now - just pull the thing designed to keep schmutz out of your linkage off and get some crud down there! :ROFLMAO:

FYI if you eat a burger in the car - dripped grease will increase shift smoothness, but sesame seeds will decrease it. 🍔
I dunno what you do in your car, but schmutz is at a minimum in mine. Full access to all the things for adjustment, plus it looks badass IMO :)

What sort of lunatic eats a burg... oh... American... 😏 :P
 
I dunno what you do in your car, but schmutz is at a minimum in mine. Full access to all the things for adjustment, plus it looks badass IMO :)

What sort of lunatic eats a burg... oh... American... 😏 :P
Ha! Guilty! :p Ok so when you're eating your fish and chips or beans and toast or bangers and mash or tea and biscuits... (do all your dishes have "and" in them?)... keep your "takeaway" well away from the shifter, if you've removed the "boot" (which I believe in the UK you call the "trunk"? :ROFLMAO:)
 
  • Like
Reactions: ADC
Ha! Guilty! :p Ok so when you're eating your fish and chips or beans and toast or bangers and mash or tea and biscuits... (do all your dishes have "and" in them?)... keep your "takeaway" well away from the shifter, if you've removed the "boot" (which I believe in the UK you call the "trunk"? :ROFLMAO:)
touché... it's French for "well, shiii-at"!
 
touché... it's French for "well, shiii-at"!
Absolutely NO French food in the Emira with a shift-boot delete! Just one pain au chocolat and whatever gear you are in will be your only gear! :LOL:
 
Absolutely NO French food in the Emira with a shift-boot delete! Just one pain au chocolat and whatever gear you are in will be your only gear! :LOL:
Pan Au Chocolat ...... Chocolate croissant
 
A bit of fromage in the linkage will smoothen it right up!
 
Very good instructions, thanks. This was easy to follow. I adjusted my plate up partial way (2MM ish) and then all the way up. I notice a slightly better experience, especially reverse, but2nd still feels chunky. When the car is off and I shift, it feels so smooth. When I am driving, it feels different, is there an easy explanation for this difference?
 
Spinning layshaft and synchros is the reason for the difference in feel when driving.
 
Very good instructions, thanks. This was easy to follow. I adjusted my plate up partial way (2MM ish) and then all the way up. I notice a slightly better experience, especially reverse, but2nd still feels chunky. When the car is off and I shift, it feels so smooth. When I am driving, it feels different, is there an easy explanation for this difference?
It is a diesel truck transmission and the 2nd gear syncho doesn't really keep up with the engine. Rapid acceleration requires a little patience to slot it into 2nd. I upshift a few hundred RPMs early on the 1 to 2. What you give up in revs you make up for in faster shifting.
 
It is a diesel truck transmission and the 2nd gear syncho doesn't really keep up with the engine. Rapid acceleration requires a little patience to slot it into 2nd. I upshift a few hundred RPMs early on the 1 to 2. What you give up in revs you make up for in faster shifting.
To be fair it was used in diesels but not trucks. Cars and SUVs that used the transverse layout.
 
The fact that these cars are so easy to work on and modify is a wonderful thing.
 
Has anyone managed to do this without removing the rubber phone tray? I have @silent cilantro's MagSafe charger stuck down with 3M tape and wouldn't want to risk cracking it if it's possible to complete the adjustment without removing it.
 
Has anyone managed to do this without removing the rubber phone tray? I have @silent cilantro's MagSafe charger stuck down with 3M tape and wouldn't want to risk cracking it if it's possible to complete the adjustment without removing it.
I did it yesterday actually and I have @silent cilantro Charger. Which I can’t say enough about! It was very easy to just pop out carefully with a flat head. No issues. And yes, you must remove it.
 
Has anyone managed to do this without removing the rubber phone tray? I have @silent cilantro's MagSafe charger stuck down with 3M tape and wouldn't want to risk cracking it if it's possible to complete the adjustment without removing it.
On the flip side there is no need for 3M tape the tray slides in and stays snug all by itself.
 
Glad I found this. It's a super simple adjustment, and totally resolves issues getting it into first. No reason to hope that it will 'break in', mine was hard to get into first as delivered, and I just adjusted it with only about 100 miles on the clock, and problem solved. A few notes from my experience:
- A 90 degree angled pick under the front corners of the console trim make it super easy to pop out, way easier than using your fingers.
- The head of the M5 bolt on the lockout plate is actually a T25, not a T20.
Here are my before/after pics:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0989.webp
    IMG_0989.webp
    143.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0990.webp
    IMG_0990.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 44

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top