DIY: Floating Console Modification

Just did the floating console mod, the interior just looks so much better.
Going to do the shift boot delete another time.

PXL_20260208_183755566.webp


I didn't remove any trim, just broke the cage, a few things I learned:
1. Like everyone said, there is no screws or clips, the cage is just slotted in. Although there are screw holes, I guess at one point Lotus wanted to make it more secure.
2. You have to do the same amount of work for each side. Unless some else figured out a better way.
3. The mesh is metal, but pretty easy to cut.
4. I did one cut of the plastic cage, and twisted it to get it out. Making two cuts would probably make taking them out much easier. (I used someone else's picture to indicate where I think the cuts could be / easier to cut)


Untitled.webp


Thanks to @kitkat and everyone who shared!
 
Just did the floating console mod, the interior just looks so much better.
Going to do the shift boot delete another time.

View attachment 76680

I didn't remove any trim, just broke the cage, a few things I learned:
1. Like everyone said, there is no screws or clips, the cage is just slotted in. Although there are screw holes, I guess at one point Lotus wanted to make it more secure.
2. You have to do the same amount of work for each side. Unless some else figured out a better way.
3. The mesh is metal, but pretty easy to cut.
4. I did one cut of the plastic cage, and twisted it to get it out. Making two cuts would probably make taking them out much easier. (I used someone else's picture to indicate where I think the cuts could be / easier to cut)


View attachment 76681

Thanks to @kitkat and everyone who shared!
I'm glad you braved this path. I almost did the same. Taking dash apart was scary, and some of the push clips will never be the same. If I could go back and do it all over, I'd do it this way.
 
Just did the floating console mod, the interior just looks so much better.
Going to do the shift boot delete another time.

View attachment 76680

I didn't remove any trim, just broke the cage, a few things I learned:
1. Like everyone said, there is no screws or clips, the cage is just slotted in. Although there are screw holes, I guess at one point Lotus wanted to make it more secure.
2. You have to do the same amount of work for each side. Unless some else figured out a better way.
3. The mesh is metal, but pretty easy to cut.
4. I did one cut of the plastic cage, and twisted it to get it out. Making two cuts would probably make taking them out much easier. (I used someone else's picture to indicate where I think the cuts could be / easier to cut)


View attachment 76681

Thanks to @kitkat and everyone who shared!
Hello mate, just wondering if you got around to doing the shift boot delete? I'm looking at going the same way as you as I don't trust myself in taking the car to bits and it not creaking or having loads of spare parts at the end!! 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣

If you haven't yet done it, will your plan just be to cut the gator out?

Cheers
 
Problem is. the mustache plate is not aluminum like the rest of the parts. Bead blasted steel will look quite a bit different in luster than aluminum, and also difficult to keep from picking up rust compared to a polished surface with polishing oils etc creating a barrier.
Could you clear coat it with a matte finish to prevent rush?
 
Does anyone happen to know if the grills are aluminum?
I am about to have some items anodized and these would fit in the bucket with the minimum charge.
 
Hello mate, just wondering if you got around to doing the shift boot delete? I'm looking at going the same way as you as I don't trust myself in taking the car to bits and it not creaking or having loads of spare parts at the end!! 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣

If you haven't yet done it, will your plan just be to cut the gator out?

Cheers
Yeah, did the boot delete a while ago.

I'd say the boot delete is easier than the floating console, just follow the instructions posts on the forum.

The middle panel is pretty robust and not that easy to break. Good luck.
 
Just did the floating console mod, the interior just looks so much better.
Going to do the shift boot delete another time.

View attachment 76680

I didn't remove any trim, just broke the cage, a few things I learned:
1. Like everyone said, there is no screws or clips, the cage is just slotted in. Although there are screw holes, I guess at one point Lotus wanted to make it more secure.
2. You have to do the same amount of work for each side. Unless some else figured out a better way.
3. The mesh is metal, but pretty easy to cut.
4. I did one cut of the plastic cage, and twisted it to get it out. Making two cuts would probably make taking them out much easier. (I used someone else's picture to indicate where I think the cuts could be / easier to cut)


View attachment 76681

Thanks to @kitkat and everyone who shared!

Forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning from this thread, if this plastic shroud holding the metal cage is bolted in (shows holes where bolts would go) is just cut and twisted to come out, how do you remove the whole thing if it's bolted in?
 
Forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning from this thread, if this plastic shroud holding the metal cage is bolted in (shows holes where bolts would go) is just cut and twisted to come out, how do you remove the whole thing if it's bolted in?

The metal mesh with plastic surround on the lower of the console is slotted in at the front, the sides , the top and the rear. It's an annoying piece to get out which normally requires lots of disassembly to effectively lift up the center console and pry it out. The alternative is to just hack away at the mesh and plastic destructively until you can remove it.
 
Forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning from this thread, if this plastic shroud holding the metal cage is bolted in (shows holes where bolts would go) is just cut and twisted to come out, how do you remove the whole thing if it's bolted in?
Second kitcat.
The plastic cage is not bolted, it's just slotted in. There are holds on the cage but no bolts used, maybe Lotus planned to bolt it but decided no to? To remove the cage with the least effort, you need to cut the metal mesh, then cut the plastic cage, basically destroying the cage to remove it.
If you want to keep the cage intact, then follow kitcat's method.
 
The metal mesh with plastic surround on the lower of the console is slotted in at the front, the sides , the top and the rear. It's an annoying piece to get out which normally requires lots of disassembly to effectively lift up the center console and pry it out. The alternative is to just hack away at the mesh and plastic destructively until you can remove it.

As always, appreciate you Kitkat.
 
Second kitcat.
The plastic cage is not bolted, it's just slotted in. There are holds on the cage but no bolts used, maybe Lotus planned to bolt it but decided no to? To remove the cage with the least effort, you need to cut the metal mesh, then cut the plastic cage, basically destroying the cage to remove it.
If you want to keep the cage intact, then follow kitcat's method.

Thank you, beef! Still not sure if I want to do this since I don't keep my cars very long, but I do like how streamlined and raw the final product looks.
 
Thinking about doing this next week. Out of curiosity, has anybody found the part number for the cage? If it's a reasonable price I might consider just cutting it out versus disassembling the dash.
 
Thank you!! Seems to be cheaper in the US. Interesting how one side is $110 and the other side is $30.
Do you happen to have the URLs for ordering the parts in the US?
 
Does anyone know the size/pitch of the bolts with the green paint marks? Thinking of replacing them with burnt titanium bolts.
 
Ended up grabbing one of those USB light someone mentioned along with a USB extension. Really like the way it looks (can change it to about 10 different colors). My only gripe is that it doesn't turn on when unlocking the car. I'm tempted to tap into the white light under the console as that lights up as soon as you unlock the door.
84731.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top