• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Dashcam for the Emira

Gizmo750

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, good point. I had a Thinkware F200 Pro dual cam professionally installed on my wife’s Rx450h. I opted not to install an optional battery for the dash cam, as the F200 Pro has an energy saving mode where recording will start only when an impact is detected. But I wanted continuous recording, so did not turn on this feature. If the drain on the 12v is severe enough, I’ll install a separate battery to power the dash cam (or activate the energy saving mode).
How do you find the F200 Pro in terms of functions and image quality? I'm trying to decide if I get this at about £200 or if it is worth spending the extra for 4K and additional features for, say, the U1000 or even the upcoming U3000 with the radar monitoring

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Something like this?

I see in UK they are illegal but in US light can not be regulated per se so something like a multiple head adaptive laser jammer. Detection is pointless if you’re basically already busted. The older ones like the TMG alpha 15 worked great; so great that police suppliers made pulse devices to defeat them. Adaptive TPX claims to make one but I have doubts.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just purchased the Nextbase 622 with the rear facing camera attachment...seemed to get the most positive reviews consistently on all sites I trawled...it has arrived, seems like a nice enough quality piece of kit...will report back on experience post NC 500 next week!

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just purchased the Nextbase 622 with the rear facing camera attachment...seemed to get the most positive reviews consistently on all sites I trawled...it has arrived, seems like a nice enough quality piece of kit...will report back on experience post NC 500 next week!
@Kentviking let us know how that is, in particular the view from the rear camera that connects to the main unit

clonalejandro

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Taking advantage of this topic, how is the visibility from the rear mirror? Is it so little that you have to install a rear dashcam and a digital rearview mirror?

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How do you find the F200 Pro in terms of functions and image quality? I'm trying to decide if I get this at about £200 or if it is worth spending the extra for 4K and additional features for, say, the U1000 or even the upcoming U3000 with the radar monitoring
Function is simple, only a few buttons to push on the unit itself. As for image quality, it is only 1080p. It’s ok for playback but don’t expect great details when you zoom in on the picture. See attached 2 pics on video playback, at around dusk (8:20 pm pacific standard time). I doubt the F200 Pro will capture any licence plate details at night.

Note: I screen shot the pics on my iPhone. I assume there might be better picture quality if I downloaded the video file onto a PC. But I won’t know until I try. You can read the licence plate on the front camera, but only when the car is close; on the rear camera, the license plate is readable but blurry.

If your main concern is picture quality (ie to read licence plates clearly even at night), then 4K is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6015.png
    IMG_6015.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6014.png
    IMG_6014.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 54

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Taking advantage of this topic, how is the visibility from the rear mirror? Is it so little that you have to install a rear dashcam and a digital rearview mirror?
A good dash cam system and proper install will not hinder your rear view vision when looking at the rear view mirror. So selecting a good duo channel dash cam that functions well and is small enough not to intrude upon your outward vision is important.

clonalejandro

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A good dash cam system and proper install will not hinder your rear view vision when looking at the rear view mirror. So selecting a good duo channel dash cam that functions well and is small enough not to intrude upon your outward vision is important.
I mean if I need a dashcam with a digital mirror, because I don't know if the visibility is good enough from the rear mirror

Last edited:

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I mean if I need a dashcam with a digital mirror, I don't know if the visibility is good enough from the rear mirror
See the below link, it should answer your question.

clonalejandro

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
See the below link, it should answer your question.

My question is if the stock rear mirror is enough or I need a dash cam/digital mirror?

chipshopman

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi, was that the plug-in rear-view camera, or the rear-window attached camera?

I bought the rear-window attached camera and the installer told me it wasn't compatible with the vertical window between the Emira cabin and engine bay. Having researched that now, that looks completely correct, it won't work on the vertical rear window.

I'm attempting to get a return/replace and get the rear-facing camera that plugs straight in to the forward facing 622GW.

I'd be interested to know if you successfully install/get it working.

Gizmo750

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I bought the rear-window attached camera and the installer told me it wasn't compatible with the vertical window between the Emira cabin and engine bay. Having researched that now, that looks completely correct, it won't work on the vertical rear window.

I'm attempting to get a return/replace and get the rear-facing camera that plugs straight in to the forward facing 622GW.

Curious why you believe this won't work on the rear screen. I've got a Thinkware dual camera set up and it works fine.

chipshopman

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Curious why you believe this won't work on the rear screen. I've got a Thinkware dual camera set up and it works fine.
The camera attaches to its mounting via a magnet. The mounting assumes the rear window it attaches to is sloping. If the mount is attached to a vertical window and the camera then added to the mount the camera will just point downwards at about a 45deg angle at the engine itself which is no use to man nor beast...
It looks like the Thinkware rear camera has a mount in which the camera can be rotated which would enable it to work on the Lotus's vertical rear window.
The irony is that my other dashcam is a Blackvue and that would work too, but I went with the NextBase due to excellent feedback only to find the rearview isn't compatible. <Sigh> Maybe I don't this to my wife and start afresh with a Thinkware. Will see what Nextbase say about the return.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I went for the plug in version so the rear camera attaches to the side of the main unit. A separate camera on the rear glazing would give you a better field of view but I wanted the convenience while still getting near 360 coverage. Been impressed with the quality of the video images and I am happy with the device.

Ozmira

Reaction score
First post here, hi!

I should be taking delivery of my Emira in about 3 weeks and i need a dash cam for my auto insurance. Looking for recommendations on makes and models that are 1. Non instrusive (slimline, small etc.) & 2. run on 5v USB only (to take advantage of the rear view mirror USB port) thanks in advance!

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Have heard good things about Viofo cams (good value for money, using high-end Sony Starvis sensors), so got an A139 Pro to try out in the family car. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm expecting good things... if it's as good as I hope, I'll grab the same again for the Emira when it is time.

JWJ9000

Reaction score
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4075.jpeg
Nextbase 622 mounted behind mirror. Can’t see it from drivers seat. Also have the rear camera installed