• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Dashcam for the Emira

Ozmira

Reaction score
Have heard good things about Viofo cams (good value for money, using high-end Sony Starvis sensors), so got an A139 Pro to try out in the family car. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm expecting good things... if it's as good as I hope, I'll grab the same again for the Emira when it is time.
this is a great little unit. as it doesnt have a screen, did you have to trial and error with the positioning?

Monza

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm using a Nexbase 522GW. Like JWJ9000's '622' it can't be seen from the drivers seat. Easy to setup and it wires in neatly with the excess wire lost behind the mirror..

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
this is a great little unit. as it doesnt have a screen, did you have to trial and error with the positioning?
In general if a dashcam doesn't have a screen you connect to it using a phone app to get a live view and then position accordingly using that

chipshopman

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
amazing! I'd love to see how you've mounted the rear camera.
Me too. I've just swapped my rear-window rear camera for the plug-in rear camera and am wondering how to make it work. Currently I'm considering buying a different make that will work on the rear window; either Blackvue or Thinkware, but if there's a way to make this work, it'd be better to go with what I've got.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I really like BlackVue, super sleek compact design

Amazon product

People seem to like these, but the Android app has terrible reviews.

Screenshot_20230914_084613_Google Play Store.jpg

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
People seem to like these, but the Android app has terrible reviews.
The app used to be awful with my old camera dr750s in the old car, but, they've improved the app and with my dr770x in the Emira, it works a lot better than it used to, kudos to them for actually improving it

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have one of these - was in my Evora for 3 years and will go in my Emira when it arrives - same physical format as the Blackvue but much cheaper and works with a companion app just fine....

Amazon product

squish

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I really like BlackVue, super sleek compact design

Amazon product
I have this in two of my cars. I have also had Thinkware in the past. Dashcams and their software in general seem a little kludgy by modern device and software standards. What is important is the sensor it uses and the resulting image quality. Once the new toy feeling wears off and you get the settings dialed in, you never really touch the software except on the occasion that you need to pull footage from it.

I like the BlackVue cameras, but I am going to try the VIOFO A139 Pro in my wife’s car since it has the STARVIS 2 sensor, which should produce a better image than my BlackVue cams. If it does, then that is what I will put in the Emira. Otherwise I will get another BlackVue.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys utilizing parking mode? If so, how does or work? Motion sensor trigger? Does it use the car battery with a minimum charge safety cut off or does it have its own rechargeable power supply?

squish

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Are you guys utilizing parking mode? If so, how does or work? Motion sensor trigger? Does it use the car battery with a minimum charge safety cut off or does it have its own rechargeable power supply?

I do use parking mode. I believe parking mode support varies according to the dashcam you are using. For BlackVue, it supports a choice of either motion detection or timelapse modes.

You can use the car battery, and I believe there is logic to cut off at a minimum charge, but I can't speak directly to that because I don't use it that way. I have a secondary battery (Cellink Neo purchased separately) that gets charged when the car is running and powers parking mode when it is off. Even that secondary battery is limited in how long it will last. I think I get about 36 hours out of it before parking mode shuts off. If the car is parked for longer periods somewhere convenient like your driveway, and you want to keep parking mode going, there are ways to plug an external laptop-style power supply into it.

One challenge with using a secondary battery is where to put it. There is another thread on this forum (look for hard-wired dashcam) that shows what those batteries look like. I believe he put it in his Emira behind the passenger seat. I have put them in the trunk or under seats on other cars.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I do use parking mode. I believe parking mode support varies according to the dashcam you are using. For BlackVue, it supports a choice of either motion detection or timelapse modes.

You can use the car battery, and I believe there is logic to cut off at a minimum charge, but I can't speak directly to that because I don't use it that way. I have a secondary battery (Cellink Neo purchased separately) that gets charged when the car is running and powers parking mode when it is off. Even that secondary battery is limited in how long it will last. I think I get about 36 hours out of it before parking mode shuts off. If the car is parked for longer periods somewhere convenient like your driveway, and you want to keep parking mode going, there are ways to plug an external laptop-style power supply into it.

One challenge with using a secondary battery is where to put it. There is another thread on this forum (look for hard-wired dashcam) that shows what those batteries look like. I believe he put it in his Emira behind the passenger seat. I have put them in the trunk or under seats on other cars.

Excellent. Thank you. I've never owned a dash cam before but want one with parking mode for my GT.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
He does a separate review specifically for the VIOFO A139 Pro which he's purchased and installed in his own car. He goes into detail on all the modes, which includes several parking modes, as well as an external battery he uses. There are links for everything on the page with this video.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm getting a Thinkware u3000 if it fits.

Great radar parking mode. Start at 6:11

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm getting a Thinkware u3000 if it fits.

Great radar parking mode. Start at 6:11

Check out this comparison between the U3000 and the Viofo A139 Pro before you buy. If you drive at night, the A139 has a noticeably better image for night driving. Look at the gas station in the pic below.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 5.18.04 PM.png

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Check out this comparison between the U3000 and the Viofo A139 Pro before you buy. If you drive at night, the A139 has a noticeably better image for night driving. Look at the gas station in the pic below.

View attachment 35318
I do drive at night. My biggest concern is the stretches of time it's unattended in a lot.