Dashcam for the Emira

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ll need a cam with built in battery to monitor carpark bumps etc too
I looked for something similar, but didn't find anything. Now I'm thinking about plug the cam to a powerbank if needed. It tested it and a 10.000 mAh Powerbank lasted for roughly 21 hours on my cam. I chose the Vantrue N2S.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I looked for something similar, but didn't find anything. Now I'm thinking about plug the cam to a powerbank if needed. It tested it and a 10.000 mAh Powerbank lasted for roughly 21 hours on my cam. I chose the Vantrue N2S.
Most of these cameras can be wired into the passenger footwell fuse box, so they run when parked

AndyVX

Reaction score
I have a garmin with a built in battery That works for a few hours. Might just buy another one

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Pretty simple solution then, I didn't catch that the 12V accessory was ACC only.

- Fuse tap 15A 12v accessory at the fusebox at the passenger footwell and run that hot wire to a parking mode external lithium battery which will charge it up while driving @ 9A or so.
- External battery charges to full after about 45m-1.5h of driving depending on the size of the battery.
- While ignition is off, dashcam is powered by external battery and has no load on the 12V car battery.
- Smaller external batteries might last 12 hours, large ones more like 2 days.
So when you do this, does that mean the 12v socket and battery share the 15A fuse, or are they in parallel so you could end up pulling circa 25A from the circuit?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So when you do this, does that mean the 12v socket and battery share the 15A fuse, or are they in parallel so you could end up pulling circa 25A from the circuit?
Technically yes they are in parallel, in reality though, that depends if you actually use the accessory 12V for anything. This also depends on the battery’s features — some have settings for lower and higher amperage draw.

If a external battery with a low draw in combination with something you use regularly on the 12v accessory ends up being over the 15amp, you’ll have to go hunting in the fuse box again for an ACC only that has say 10 amps to spare.

I think my specific external battery does 5 amp in low and 7 amps in high. Some other models go as high as 10 amps.

Last edited:

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If a external battery with a low draw in combination with something you use regularly on the 12v accessory ends up being over the 15amp, you’ll have to go hunting in the fuse box again for an ACC only that has say 10 amps to spare.
So probably not an issue until you want to pump the tyres up 😅

I'm looking at getting a cellink neo 8+ and that charges at 9A, so would leave 6A for other accessories, should be ample for most things but a tyre pump is guess

patpat

Reaction score
Most of these cameras can be wired into the passenger footwell fuse box, so they run when parked
I guess the best option might be to check with lotus if they could change the configuration to provide power to the roof mounted USB even when the car is turned off.It may not be that hard in my view.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I guess the best option might be to check with lotus if they could change the configuration to provide power to the roof mounted USB even when the car is turned off.It may not be that hard in my view.
That would make sense, and should have been set up by default

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That would make sense, and should have been set up by default
It really wouldn’t though — dashcam drivers are a subset of drivers — dashcam drivers who want parking mode recording power are an even smaller subset of drivers. Then you have to deal with the repercussions of an always on USB which leaves auto off functionality and voltage monitoring down to questionable cheap dashcam electronics.

I think you can see where this all starts to get problematic.

Better off just hardwiring a secondary battery that charges when ignition is on.

Last edited:

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't know about other brands but some if not all Nextbase devices have an inbuilt battery for when the power is off, along with enhanced motion sensing which switches the device on. Rear facing cameras can be added although probably not useful with the Emira. The power cable connection is USB b for which short leads are available, so ideal for the Emira.

Bod27

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't know about other brands but some if not all Nextbase devices have an inbuilt battery for when the power is off, along with enhanced motion sensing which switches the device on. Rear facing cameras can be added although probably not useful with the Emira. The power cable connection is USB b for which short leads are available, so ideal for the Emira.
That's what I have, it starts recording if it sensors some movement , I ordered some short usb cables ages ago, and now my car is coming I cant find them ! oh well another £4 to Amazon LOL

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's what I have, it starts recording if it sensors some movement , I ordered some short usb cables ages ago, and now my car is coming I cant find them ! oh well another £4 to Amazon LOL
I looked into this ages ago and made the decision on what to buy. I've had the car since the latter part of January so now need to buy the device along with short cable.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can anyone with a Nextbase 622GW recommend a cable length (12cm?) and to get a right-angled connector or not to plug into the USB connector in the mirror assembly. I'm due to pic up my car soon and want to get a cable ahead of time - hard to judge length needed from photos.