Dashcam for the Emira

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
What it doesn't say (that I saw) is if that's an always on port so that you can do parking mode on the dash cams that support it, I'm guessing it's not and turns off with the ignition 🤔

Good point. I've never owned a dash cam, but plan to get one for the Emira and would want it recording 24/7.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Manual states that not driving for 18 days may start to cause it to have trouble starting. Would be much shorter if using factory battery for a 24/7 camera, might want to wire to an alternate.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What it doesn't say (that I saw) is if that's an always on port so that you can do parking mode on the dash cams that support it, I'm guessing it's not and turns off with the ignition 🤔
It says the 12V accessory socket powers down with the ignition, so I assume all the USB ports do too.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It says the 12V accessory socket powers down with the ignition, so I assume all the USB ports do too.

Pretty simple solution then, I didn't catch that the 12V accessory was ACC only.

- Fuse tap 15A 12v accessory at the fusebox at the passenger footwell and run that hot wire to a parking mode external lithium battery which will charge it up while driving @ 9A or so.
- External battery charges to full after about 45m-1.5h of driving depending on the size of the battery.
- While ignition is off, dashcam is powered by external battery and has no load on the 12V car battery.
- Smaller external batteries might last 12 hours, large ones more like 2 days.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Don’t know much about dashcams, I don’t have one and not sure why you would want to have it running while you are not in the car unless it’s an extra security measure as part of alarm / tracker so sorry if this is a stupid question. What happens after 2 days?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It covers your car if someone drives into it or vandalises it while parked.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t know much about dashcams, I don’t have one and not sure why you would want to have it running while you are not in the car unless it’s an extra security measure as part of alarm / tracker so sorry if this is a stupid question. What happens after 2 days?

I think of it as extra security while parked in public places. Just like the security cams around my house. It's good to have video footage if there is ever an unfortunate event like a hit and run or vandalism.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think of it as extra security while parked in public places. Just like the security cams around my house. It's good to have video footage if there is ever an unfortunate event like a hit and run or vandalism.

i-dont-know-who-you-are-i-will-find-you-48776021.png

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Many dash cams offer a "parking mode" that will record while parked to catch vandalism or hit and runs. Some will record frames every few seconds in low power mode, giving you more of a time lapse feed than standard video. Some will record for a certain amount of time before shutting down. Cameras also allow you to remote into the feed to check on the car in real time. It's a great feature.

Most camera systems are modular, so you'd buy an external battery that could power the parking mode for X amount of days. Most decent cams will monitor voltage and shut down if a drop is detected in an attempt to save your battery from going flat.

There's a new generation of cameras that have all of these built in, like Owl Cam. That has a 72 hour parking mode without an external battery (instead of recording constantly it awakens with shock sensors) and will allow you to remote into the feed from the smartphone app, which works really well. They make money by charging you a subscription fee to use the cloud features.

Last edited:

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score

There is a section that states how this works, and it's somewhat tied to when the car gets locked. The USB ports power off when the car gets locked (and ignition is off). If the car is not locked, they stay powered for 7 minutes after the ignition is turned off. I believe that the 12v accessory socket follows the same logic, but I'm not 100% sure, can't remember.

Italiabrain

Reaction score
What would be really cool is if it had a default, but you could change it. Either in the settings on the screen or by a jumper in the fuse box.
GM does something like this with what looks like a double fuse and moving it over one slot makes the 12v accessory turn on-off with the ignition instead of staying on in some of the trucks:

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I gotta give lotus some credit for putting a usb-A port in the rear view mirror just for that purpose! Thats an amazing idea and shows they’re trying to go the extra mile with the emira (had an M2, 992, 718, 8Y RS3 and more expensive cars and that’s a first for me), found it in the owners manual.
I would also have liked to install a rear dashcam but with a mid engined car I never seemed to find a solution, if anyone has an idea that would be great haha.
21779914-80F4-4C6C-89F7-631F1149D575.jpeg

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I gotta give lotus some credit for putting a usb-A port in the rear view mirror just for that purpose! Thats an amazing idea and shows they’re trying to go the extra mile with the emira (had an M2, 992, 718, 8Y RS3 and more expensive cars and that’s a first for me), found it in the owners manual.
I would also have liked to install a rear dashcam but with a mid engined car I never seemed to find a solution, if anyone has an idea that would be great haha.View attachment 10588
I had an Auto-Vox V5 Pro in my Evora. It replaces the rear view mirror and gives you a reversing camera/rearward dash cam and a front facing dashcam. My Evora didn't have a reversing camera fitted, so the installer used the empty camera slot at the back of the car. The mirror is wired into the reversing light circuit, so it knows when you are reversing and automatically (with software) gives you a more downwards rear view to assist reversing.

For the FE Emira, it will already have a reverse camera, so the camera supplied with the Autovox can be installed inside the rear window. It is a very small high quality camera and would not be really noticeable. You wouldn't need the reverse function for an FE car, unless you get a base and do not spec the reverse camera option.

The quality of the recording is excellent. It takes a short time to get used to having a digital mirror in your peripheral vision, but another advantage is that you do not get glare from car headlights behind you at night.

I will certainly be getting one of these for my Emira. I got mine from Amazon, I think I paid about UKÂŁ200 for the kit and about UK ÂŁ200 to get it professionally installed at a local car audio shop.

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of getting a dashcam for their Emira?

I had an AUTO-VOX V5PRO OEM Mirror Dash cam on my Evora 410 Sport and was really pleased with it as the view through the carbon fibre louvres was very restricted and it didn’t have a reversing camera fitted. This mirror came with a reversing camera and it automatically activated when you put the vehicle in reverse. I had it professionally installed so not sure on details of connections etc. The camera costs £245 from Amazon and I think I paid around £250 to get it fitted in 2020 at my local car audio installer who did a great job.
I expect that the rear view for the Emira would be much like any other car and of course it has a reversing camera.
I suppose one of the benefits of the digital mirror is that the dashcam is built in, so it looks much neater. I got used to the digital image very quickly as at first it does seem strange to be looking at a camera image after you have spent years of driving looking in a mirror. The only downside for the V6 Emiras is that you won’t see that linkage move on the engine when you accelerate!
What are general thoughts on dashcams, are they worth having?
I want one for my Gt now, any other recommendations? (regardless of cost)

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The show car had a USB C in the roof panel - hope they kept that....
There is one located on the rearview pod, specifically for traffic video recorders. (from the most current Emira handbook)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.44.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.44.19 PM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 32

AndyVX

Reaction score
Did anyone ever work out if this dash cam USB port is always on or switches off with the ignition?

GreenDeal

Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of getting a dashcam for their Emira?

I had an AUTO-VOX V5PRO OEM Mirror Dash cam on my Evora 410 Sport and was really pleased with it as the view through the carbon fibre louvres was very restricted and it didn’t have a reversing camera fitted. This mirror came with a reversing camera and it automatically activated when you put the vehicle in reverse. I had it professionally installed so not sure on details of connections etc. The camera costs £245 from Amazon and I think I paid around £250 to get it fitted in 2020 at my local car audio installer who did a great job.
I expect that the rear view for the Emira would be much like any other car and of course it has a reversing camera.
I suppose one of the benefits of the digital mirror is that the dashcam is built in, so it looks much neater. I got used to the digital image very quickly as at first it does seem strange to be looking at a camera image after you have spent years of driving looking in a mirror. The only downside for the V6 Emiras is that you won’t see that linkage move on the engine when you accelerate!
What are general thoughts on dashcams, are they worth having?
Yes, of course! All my vehicles have one. Although my Emira isn't that yet, the dash cam is already at my house. I decided on a next base 222X. It can record forwards as well as backwards.