AMG launch 680bhp 2.0

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they don't let us open the bonnet for future upgrade considerations plenty of room in there for a big battery ;)

Yea, you can technically mount a C63 drivetrain backward into the Emira, with the motor on the front and engine in the back. But I think that design would at 7-800 pounds to the car.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With this new hybrid c63s, although the tech is definitely impressive, all I can think of are expensive repairs and high depreciation. I mean, an electric motor driving the turbo up to 100,000 rpm or so with all that turbo heat soak. Do we really think that's going to last? I wonder what the replacement cost of that turbo will be.

However, it's likely a great car to have some fun with on a temporary lease where those things don't matter. Is it special though? Drivetrain aside, it's still just a hotted up sedan and for all those whining about the Emira being heavy... 2111kg! I'm sure it will corner like it's on rails (not). 😬

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yea, you can technically mount a C63 drivetrain backward into the Emira, with the motor on the front and engine in the back. But I think that design would at 7-800 pounds to the car.
Where would you put the drive unit, battery, driveshaft? And where would all the cooking system go? Going to drop the double wishbone and go with MacPherson strut to accommodate some space for it too?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The point is it can't even get 476hp without the battery and electrical system to back it up.

The battery and electrical system powers both the extra drive unit AND the electrically assisted turbocharger.
I believe the electric aspect of the turbo is about spinning the turbo at low rpm or whenever there is insufficient exhaust flow to get the turbo on boost (occasional bursts, not continuous).

Once the gasses are flowing and turbo is spinning the turbo would be operating more like a regular turbo. These normally operate at 48V as power requirements are high, too high for 12V. With such a setup you can use a bigger turbo than you could reasonably use without the electric drive (else it would be laggy as).

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The point is it can't even get 476hp without the battery and electrical system to back it up.

The battery and electrical system powers both the extra drive unit AND the electrically assisted turbocharger.
Not strictly true... it totally can get to that (and higher) with ye-olde turbocharger, but not at boost/temp levels that Mercedes is comfortable selling and warranting. :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Where would you put the drive unit, battery, driveshaft? And where would all the cooking system go? Going to drop the double wishbone and go with MacPherson strut to accommodate some space for it too?
Yea, technically, you could do it and still keep the mid-engine layout, but it would result in a ton of changes and compromises...

Last edited:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Not strictly true... it totally can get to that (and higher) with ye-olde turbocharger, but not at boost/temp levels that Mercedes is comfortable selling and warranting. :)

I believe the primary benefits of the electric motor in the turbo is reaction time and the ability to regulate the turbine speed at all RPMs. Therefore, they are able to get aggressive with the boost pressure at certain engine speeds and loads while also dialing it down at others - which goes to preserve engine reliability.

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I believe the primary benefits of the electric motor in the turbo is reaction time and the ability to regulate the turbine speed at all RPMs. Therefore, they are able to get aggressive with the boost pressure at certain engine speeds and loads while also dialing it down at others - which goes to preserve engine reliability.
Oh for sure, the benefits of the electric turbo are clear, as you describe... I was just pointing out that the "old" engine has an incredibly high potential, but you have to push the ancillaries quite hard to make use of that potential (which completely agrees with what you are saying).

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know if the Engine is upgraded for this electric turbo variant. If not, it means the engine is good for 476bhp with a warranty (and these things are typically rated fairly conservatively). This demonstrates that the engine and turbo combination can comfortable deliver close to 500bhp as standard, but that non-electric turbos (plus hybrid) are not yet at the level where they meet acceptable engine response, torque curve etc to meet Mercedes requirements.

An electric turbo doesn't add all much weight to a car. The 48V battery will not be huge (can replace the 12V starter battery too I believe, probably similar size/weight to 12V starter, except Li Ion and 48V), and the motor on the turbo is not going to be massive either.

An electric turbo can in theory give you big engine feel and zero lag, yet have the advantages associated with a smaller engine when you are cruising.

It's likely totally possible to package an electric turbo engine to the Emira, but i can imagine trying to add the Hybrid system Hybrid would be very challenging due to limited available space.

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yea, it's an exceptionally well-engineered design. The new 4-cylinder hybrid C63 sedan was my planned next purchase until I learned about the Emira.
Save your money have a play in hand emira then out it when they release the gt73 amg 😉 true 4 door beast..
my last two cars where the non s c63 followed by the new c63s
Both wonderful machines and tbe only problem with the new one is the engine .. in my mind the engine of this beautiful car needs to be non other than a v8 not a highly tuned a45 with a bolted on electric motor , that for me does nothing at all and is such a shame . Best daily I ever had 👌🏽

Attachments

• C045403E-27F7-4B05-A324-00D07C07D7FA.jpeg
    C045403E-27F7-4B05-A324-00D07C07D7FA.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 14