Alternate configurator renders of the other 4 FE colors

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
    Featured
There was an odd problem with one of the edges of the doors with some of the colors. It looked like a small rectangle that wasn't rendering correctly. After digging into it, it looked like the UVW mapping coordinates either hadn't applied correctly, or had gotten corrupted, so I deleted and redid the UVW map. That fixed the issue, but then the doors rendered differently from the rest of the car. I had to redo the UVW maps for everything else as a result. It was a pain, but in the process I figured out how to do metal flake in the paint. The new maps improved the overall look so I think it was worth it. I also wanted to do more than just have the car sit on an empty infinite plain, so I added a bit of outside terrain. If you've ever been to Willow Springs raceway in Southern California, that terrain look was what I had in mind.

I've had to rework and tweak the colors as a result of the new maps, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Metal Test 1.png

Metal Test 1a.png

Metal Test 1b.png

Metal Test 1c.png

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So I was on the configurator today for the first time in quite a while. Mostly because @Eagle7 has been giving us such extraordinary views of Emira that there has been little reason to login. But I needed to confirm my configuration was aligned with my wishes. And I must ask, how well do you think the current color renderings from this updated configurator match reality? I was actually really quite pleased with each of the colors currently put forth as choices. I liked the Magma Red form the configurator. Curious to hear what people think.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There was an odd problem with one of the edges of the doors with some of the colors. It looked like a small rectangle that wasn't rendering correctly. After digging into it, it looked like the UVW mapping coordinates either hadn't applied correctly, or had gotten corrupted, so I deleted and redid the UVW map. That fixed the issue, but then the doors rendered differently from the rest of the car. I had to redo the UVW maps for everything else as a result. It was a pain, but in the process I figured out how to do metal flake in the paint. The new maps improved the overall look so I think it was worth it. I also wanted to do more than just have the car sit on an empty infinite plain, so I added a bit of outside terrain. If you've ever been to Willow Springs raceway in Southern California, that terrain look was what I had in mind.

I've had to rework and tweak the colors as a result of the new maps, but I think it turned out pretty good.

View attachment 2508
View attachment 2509
View attachment 2510
View attachment 2511
Impressive results for all the time you've put into this helping dreams be realized.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I was on the configurator today for the first time in quite a while. Mostly because @Eagle7 has been giving us such extraordinary views of Emira that there has been little reason to login. But I needed to confirm my configuration was aligned with my wishes. And I must ask, how well do you think the current color renderings from this updated configurator match reality? I was actually really quite pleased with each of the colors currently put forth as choices. I liked the Magma Red form the configurator. Curious to hear what people think.
I was close to getting Dark Verdant, because it looks really good in the configurator, but the real color is said to be the same as the green on the Lotus Carlton. If this is true, which it probably is, the configurator is not even close to that color. Therefore I guess you can't trust the configurator at all, even if some of the colors are a closer match. Red however seems to be a very tricky color as well, so there's a good chance that the configurator is way off as well on that color.

Reactions: DJW

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hell yes! I know it would add weight, but I love the idea of a tinted glass roof.
Colin Chapman would be turning in his grave :) All that extra weight up high exactly where you don't want it. The Emira I'd really like, and which I suspect we will see a few years down the track, would be a lightweight version with a carbon roof and louvred carbon tailgate like the Evora 410. And those horrible 12 way electric boat anchors consigned to a skip in favour of some carbon buckets :)

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I greatly dislike yellow cars, but I would consider that configuration right there with the black pack.

IanO

Reaction score
I was close to getting Dark Verdant, because it looks really good in the configurator, but the real color is said to be the same as the green on the Lotus Carlton. If this is true, which it probably is, the configurator is not even close to that color. Therefore I guess you can't trust the configurator at all, even if some of the colors are a closer match. Red however seems to be a very tricky color as well, so there's a good chance that the configurator is way off as well on that color.
I went to the dealer and looked at the colour samples again last week. Eagle7's Dark Verdant is much closer to the paint sample than the configurator and his latest Magma is the closest I have seen yet to the colour disc, well done Eagle7 (and consequently I think I have just switched from Seneca to Magma as my favourite). It is still difficult to tell without seeing the car for real as the screen settings have a big affect, I have twin monitors from different brands and depending which one I view it on the colour looks different.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Seneca, Hethel and even Nimbus aren't too bad, but the other 3 are not reliable IMO. The 'revised' configurator seems like mostly they just made it darker, especially the lower half of the car. Considering how much they have invested in making this car, I'm really surprised the configurator isn't better than this. They made a 3D model for game companies, so why not contract with one of them to build a configurator?

At any rate, all of my renders are based on the actual color sample disks and planforms, as well as the interior samples. I'm 100% confident they're closer to the actual painted cars than their own configurator.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You utter bastard... this has cast me back in to complete doubt again!

If I had one criticism, it would be that there is too much sunlight in these renders to simulate UK viewing conditions accurately :)

(awesome work. these look amazing! :D)
Not heard "utter bastard" used for while - likely to use that soon! :ROFLMAO: Totally agree about the awesome work...

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi Eagle7

I finally have my final spec! can't find the chat to post these in for a render, seem to remember there was one. But there's a good chance you've done this already:

Dark Verdant
Black pack
Silver wheels
Black caliper
Tan interior
Leather wheel

If not I'd be really grateful for a wee pic.

btw. what software do you use? I used to do a lot of rendering work myself in 3DMax, Lightwave using a bunch of different plug-in renderers, mostly architectural work though - but this was all offline and back in the day each frame would take hours!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi Eagle7

I finally have my final spec! can't find the chat to post these in for a render, seem to remember there was one. But there's a good chance you've done this already:

Dark Verdant
Black pack
Silver wheels
Black caliper
Tan interior
Leather wheel

If not I'd be really grateful for a wee pic.

btw. what software do you use? I used to do a lot of rendering work myself in 3DMax, Lightwave using a bunch of different plug-in renderers, mostly architectural work though - but this was all offline and back in the day each frame would take hours!

The thread you're looking for is here 👍

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Here's something interesting. While switching colors for a render, I was switching from black pack to no black pack. The model has the roof and cantrails as separate objects, so I have to change the color for each separately. I happened to apply color to the cantrail first, and noticed how good it looked with just the roof black. The only issue was the heat vents on either side of the rear window are black no matter what, but those were areas I could color separately too, so here's what it looks like with only the roof in black, and the cantrails and vent areas next to the rear window in body color. It changes the character of the roofline quite a bit, giving it a more tapered look. I kind of like it.

View attachment 2495
View attachment 2496
View attachment 2497
I really like this look too! And I think it makes the car appear longer and sleeker.

im thinking I may just do the same thing with glossy vinyl. Saves a little cash while enabling me to go back to stock should I ever choose.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I really like this look too! And I think it makes the car appear longer and sleeker.

im thinking I may just do the same thing with glossy vinyl. Saves a little cash while enabling me to go back to stock should I ever choose.
Thing is, those engine vents will always be black, no matter what you choose.