V6 FE dyno results and weight

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know. Not saying anything about the others, but the only chart that seems realistic to me is the one from Komotec.

I've also noticed in every video I've watched and listened to, that the acceleration ramp is a very long, slow climb up the rpm's. Just from the sound, that gives the impression that the car is either under-powered, over-weight, or has long gearing which is what I suspect is the cause. I know it looks great for marketing to show 180mph for the top end speed, but that's totally useless on the street. I would much rather have maybe 160 top, and closer gear ratios for faster and better acceleration down low. 400 hp is actually plenty if you have the right gearing. They could do everything they need acceleration-wise in gears 1-4, and use 5 & 6 for cruising and mileage. This is of course for the street, not for track. I would have preferred something like that for the cars without the track pack, and allow buyers choosing the track pack to have either street gearing or track gearing as a choice within that pack.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. Not saying anything about the others, but the only chart that seems realistic to me is the one from Komotec.

I've also noticed in every video I've watched and listened to, that the acceleration ramp is a very long, slow climb up the rpm's. Just from the sound, that gives the impression that the car is either under-powered, over-weight, or has long gearing which is what I suspect is the cause. I know it looks great for marketing to show 180mph for the top end speed, but that's totally useless on the street. I would much rather have maybe 160 top, and closer gear ratios for faster and better acceleration down low. 400 hp is actually plenty if you have the right gearing. They could do everything they need acceleration-wise in gears 1-4, and use 5 & 6 for cruising and mileage. This is of course for the street, not for track. I would have preferred something like that for the cars without the track pack, and allow buyers choosing the track pack to have either street gearing or track gearing as a choice within that pack.

They probably have some room to gear it lower, but didn't. I agree that this was a mistake given the additional weight of this car.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
They probably have some room to gear it lower, but didn't. I agree that this was a mistake given the additional weight of this car.
The original prototypes they were working with probably had at least 416 hp, and maybe even 430 which would have been adequate for the weight. By the time they realized they were going to have to tune down the engine to comply with regulations, it may have been too late to change the contract order for the gear sets for the trans and diff in order to compensate. If they even considered that to begin with. When Gavan said the Emira was an Evora dialed up to an 11, he was probably referring to the development cars he and his team were working with at the time, which I have no doubt had more power than what they had to settle for on the final production car.

Maybe we'll see optional things like gear sets available from the performance division, along with other goodies they couldn't include in the First Edition.

Ft.S

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't understand much about engines, so I may be way off here.

One of the cars that I really enjoyed was my 997.2 GT3. A perfect mixture of analog inputs with just enough electronic assistance. Its gearing was pretty crazy, in second gear I would hit 78-79 mph, and 106-107 mph in 3rd gear. This gearing was balanced with a lightweight flywheel, relative to most street cars, so the engine would rev up quite rapidly and gave the sensation of pretty decent accel Gs. The engine was only rated only 435 hp and 317 ft-lb torque. That car felt really fast to me at the time.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 12.23.57 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 12.28.57 PM.png

The Emira is not that far off in terms of power figures with almost identical weight to that GT3. So, I am expecting the 'feel' of it to be comparable, just a tad off probably. But since Emira's gearing is much shorter, I think it will 'feel' pretty rapid and hold its own at the track.

I guess, we'll see :)

Next Decade

Reaction score
It's obviously beneficial getting this cat delete pipe, if you don't care about your environment.

I'm asking myself what kind of catalytic converter Lotus uses here. Is it a ceramic monolith or is already a stainless steel honeycomb like HJS uses for their catalytic converters? And what cpsi do they use?
Just leave it outside over night in a metropolitan area. Someone will delete it for you. Free of charge!

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

One of the cars that I really enjoyed was my 997.2 GT3. A perfect mixture of analog inputs with just enough electronic assistance. Its gearing was pretty crazy, in second gear I would hit 78-79 mph, and 106-107 mph in 3rd gear. This gearing was balanced with a lightweight flywheel, relative to most street cars, so the engine would rev up quite rapidly and gave the sensation of pretty decent accel Gs. The engine was only rated only 435 hp and 317 ft-lb torque. That car felt really fast to me at the time.

View attachment 27630

View attachment 27631

The Emira is not that far off in terms of power figures with almost identical weight to that GT3. So, I am expecting the 'feel' of it to be comparable, just a tad off probably. But since Emira's gearing is much shorter, I think it will 'feel' pretty rapid and hold its own at the track.

Summit Point?

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Came upon this video on YouTube, it’s in Japanese on a dyno jet, does anyone know the place or anything regarding the video to base the numbers ? Seems to be good numbers (387hp & 462

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Came upon this video on YouTube, it’s in Japanese on a dyno jet, does anyone know the place or anything regarding the video to base the numbers ? Seems to be good numbers (387hp & 462
Those aren't Japanese plates, and the screenshot looks very Chinese. Numbers look OK and nice linear line.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This video probably originates from China, or at least not from Japan. Am I wrong?

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I believe this 387 hp is hose power.
The value on the left of the graph is 馬力(H , and I assume that H is H for Horsepower(HP).
The catalog value of Emira is French horsepower (PS), so 387x1.01387=392 horsepower, which I think is close to the catalog value.
On the right of the graph is the torque value.
The maximum torque of 462 Nm is a mystery!:unsure:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Interesting DYNO run. They let off early at about 6300 RPM. I think they should have been able to hit 400HP by 6600-6700RPM.

finny76

EMIRAAA
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This chart shows a drivetrain loss of 12% which is about what I expected. Going with better quality gear oils should lower that to 10%, which would be a gain of about 7 hp to the rear wheels.
What???
I've missed you and your speculations, Eagle!! :)

You're not picking up 7hp by changing gear oils, sorry bud :)
Yeah i was surprised too by reading that comment. I wonder where that theory originated form?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Great car.

I would love to see a GT3 against the Emira on track.
The Emira is amazing on track (on corners....).
The McLaren and Lotus test driver said it was as good as the McLarens, short of a Senna/P1

Love to try my car on slicks or even CUP2s.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What???

Yeah i was surprised too by reading that comment. I wonder where that theory originated form?
I think you guys mis-understood what I was saying. It doesn't add 7 hp to the engine, it frees up hp that's currently being absorbed from the drivetrain. The engine is still putting out whatever power it is from the factory. By improving the efficiency of the drivetrain (reducing the resistance) that allows some of the power that was being absorbed to now make it to the rear wheels.

The amount of 7 hp was just a rough guess. Once I get my car and get it through the break-in period, I'm planning on getting a dyno run to establish a baseline of what the car is producing power-wise. As I make modifications, I'll do additional dyno runs to chart the differences.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you guys mis-understood what I was saying. It doesn't add 7 hp to the engine, it frees up hp that's currently being absorbed from the drivetrain. The engine is still putting out whatever power it is from the factory. By improving the efficiency of the drivetrain (reducing the resistance) that allows some of the power that was being absorbed to now make it to the rear wheels.

The amount of 7 hp was just a rough guess. Once I get my car and get it through the break-in period, I'm planning on getting a dyno run to establish a baseline of what the car is producing power-wise. As I make modifications, I'll do additional dyno runs to chart the differences.

Yeah, this kinda falls into the parasitic loss idea that lighter accessory pulleys and grounding kits are supposed to help with too.

Looking forward to dyno charts! There is a severe lack of Lotus focused dyno charts.

finny76

EMIRAAA
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This chart shows a drivetrain loss of 12% which is about what I expected. Going with better quality gear oils should lower that to 10%, which would be a gain of about 7 hp to the rear wheels.

It's going to be interesting to see what Komotec does with their tune.

I guess its logical, as it aligns with the analogous idea of employing lightweight wheels and rotors, such as those made of carbon ceramic, to reduce drive train loss.

I'm curious on which gear oil that could offer superior efficiency compared to the factory-installed option. I've come across enthusiasts enthusiastically endorsing LiquiMoly engine oil, although I haven't personally tested it yet.

Last edited: