• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

V6 acceleration tests

schorsch

Reaction score
Today I put my GPS device (QStarz 6000s) into my Emira and did some measurements.

First the conditions:
Sunny, 12 °C
my car has Touring suspension - completely stock
I was alone in the car (I weigh 105 kg) and the tank was filled at about 20%.
Tire pressure front: 2.2 bar
Tire pressure rear: 2.4 bar

1st Test: 0..100 km/h
I tried to launch the car properly about 5 times and the best time I got was 4.7s. The other times ranged from 4.9s to 5.3s.
It is really hard to launch the car properly from the standstill. If you release the clutch too softly, the GPS logger will already start the measurement while you're only rolling slowly. I also noticed that I had to initiate the change to 2nd gear at around 5.5k rpm already - otherwise I'd risk running to the rev limiter.
Maybe with some more skills and practice one can get down to 4.5s but I doubt the 4.3s quoted by Lotus are possible with my car - maybe on a prepared drag strip.
I tried different driving modes, but no real difference, even in Track mode.
After a couple attempts my clutch started smelling ugly and I then stopped to not stress the car too much.
For comparison, my Evora S with the Komotec 460 kit (Auto transmission and 445 HP) did this in 4.2s

2nd Test: 100..200 km/h
I tried a couple of times on different parts of the Autobahn - both starting from 2nd and 3rd gear. In both cases I got times around 11.2 - 11.3 seconds.
The pull felt smooth and reasonably fast. With the sound of the car it definitely feels faster than it is.
For comparison, my Evora S with the Komotec 460 kit (Auto transmission and 445 HP) did this in 10.3s

3rd Test: Highspeed run - v_max attempt
I have some good Autobahnen nearby and hence drive very fast (250+ km/h) with my car rather often. The car feels pretty stable at high speeds - definitely miles better and safer than my Evora S.
Today I achieved the highest speed so far.
On a long straight the speedo showed 293 km/h and the GPS speed was 288 km/h. Not too bad. I couldn't pull longer due to traffic, but the car may go 2-3 km/h faster, but that's it. Pretty much why Lotus claims.
Once you switch to 6th gear the car is not pulling a lot anymore. In 5th gear, it feels alright (up to 260 km/h).
For comparison, in my Evora S with the Komotec 460 kit (Auto transmission and 445 HP) I managed 275 km/h on the speedo and it wasn't pulling much more. Also in the Evora I didn't wanna go any faster - it felt very scary due to the super nervous steering. I guess the main reason for the Evora not going faster was the transmission.
All in all the Emira feels alright on the Autobahn, but is definitely not a cruiser, mainly due to the noise.

Hope you guys find this useful. Happy to share more experiences in the future.