353 whp
443 Nm or 327 ft-lb

Did I get it right?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks to nice people in Komotec I can share with you measurement data about my V6. It had done 1700 km and had 3/4 tank of fuel in it. As you can see, it delivers the power and slightly more torque than advertised figures (400 hp/420 nm). Weight was measured 1450 kg. When adjusted to 90% fuel according to DIN standard, its 1457 kg assuming 60 l. tank. Very close to stated numbers for manual V6 FE.

That dyno graph explains a lot why this engine, despite delivering the performance feels bit flat in real life driving.

View attachment 10826
This chart shows a drivetrain loss of 12% which is about what I expected. Going with better quality gear oils should lower that to 10%, which would be a gain of about 7 hp to the rear wheels.

It's going to be interesting to see what Komotec does with their tune.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that 443 NM/Torque, that’s a rather big bump over Lotus’s figure

So ~327 ft. lbs of torque.

Lotus advertises it as 420nm and this dyno read 443nm.

Curious what type of dyno Komotec uses and what gear was this pull?

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you extrapolate the crank HP curve to 6800+rpm it looks to be right around 416HP, so I'd speculate the "lower power" of the Emira is simply due to the lowered redline compared to the most recent Evora variants. Anyone have an Evora GT curve they can overlay to compare?

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you extrapolate the crank HP curve to 6800+rpm it looks to be right around 416HP, so I'd speculate the "lower power" of the Emira is simply due to the lowered redline compared to the most recent Evora variants. Anyone have an Evora GT curve they can overlay to compare?
You can get an idea here. These are for Evora 400 though.

Last edited:

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks to nice people in Komotec I can share with you measurement data about my V6. It had done 1700 km and had 3/4 tank of fuel in it. As you can see, it delivers the power and slightly more torque than advertised figures (400 hp/420 nm). Weight was measured 1450 kg. When adjusted to 90% fuel according to DIN standard, its 1457 kg assuming 60 l. tank. Very close to stated numbers for manual V6 FE.

That dyno graph explains a lot why this engine, despite delivering the performance feels bit flat in real life driving.

View attachment 10826
Any chance you took a video of the dyno pulls? 🤞

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Almost.

Advertised
400 hp

Dyno
Technically, the dyno is not measuring the 401 HP; unless the engine was pulled from the car and the power measured seperately. Since it is measuring wheel HP (at 353 HP) it is calculating the engine HP using 12% drivetrain loss. So the 353 wheel HP is accurate and the 401 HP varies with whatever drivetrain loss you want to assume. 12% is pretty low compared with what most assume.

andyss

Reaction score
Decent dynos (with skilled operators) estimate the transmission losses by measuring the deceleration rate after a run (coastdown). The rate the rollers slow relative to unloaded rollers is due to transmission and tyre losses. It's possible to do this reasonably accurately, or wildly wrong, depending on whether you're a tuner trying to show massive power increase or just trying to measure. I'm not trying to pass comment on Komotec here, just a general statement.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Technically, the dyno is not measuring the 401 HP; unless the engine was pulled from the car and the power measured seperately. Since it is measuring wheel HP (at 353 HP) it is calculating the engine HP using 12% drivetrain loss. So the 353 wheel HP is accurate and the 401 HP varies with whatever drivetrain loss you want to assume. 12% is pretty low compared with what most assume.
Engine bhp is always calculated on a dyno run. For a front engine rear wheel drive car that uses a driveshaft to connect the trans to the differential, drivetrain loss is going to be higher, usually around 15% in today's world. It's gotten better over the years. For a mid-engine car which eliminates the driveshaft, I was expecting a loss of around 12% which is realistic for this layout.

Since Lotus is giving the bhp as 400, the Komotec dyno shows that to be reasonably accurate. Although I haven't read anywhere that Lotus is claiming it, if their engines are SAE certified, the V6 would have to be somewhere between 398.8 and 401.2 to meet that standard. The dyno shows 401.1 bhp so Lotus may have actually gotten the V6 SAE rated.

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Engine bhp is always calculated on a dyno run.
I'll take your word for it. I've had a lot of cars dyno'd over the years and never saw a dyno give engine HP estimate. I've also seen hundreds of dyno runs on various forums and never seen that.

I also can't see how a dyno could estimate drivetrain loss by relating it to deceleration rate, since that would depend on the inertia of all the components, not just the friction losses. Identical drivetrains, but one with very heavy wheels and one with very light ones would then show different engine HP. But all that aside, the HP numbers show are impressive.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
just did some calculations - if the Emira weighed a few kilos less and got the same power as the Evora 430 it would actually have the same power to weight ratio as the C8. Around 7.4 lbs per HP. That is pretty good... I am convinced that the extra HP and redline would give this car that little bit extra it deserves... a power upgrade is in the cards for me down the line.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll take your word for it. I've had a lot of cars dyno'd over the years and never saw a dyno give engine HP estimate. I've also seen hundreds of dyno runs on various forums and never seen that.

I also can't see how a dyno could estimate drivetrain loss by relating it to deceleration rate, since that would depend on the inertia of all the components, not just the friction losses. Identical drivetrains, but one with very heavy wheels and one with very light ones would then show different engine HP. But all that aside, the HP numbers show are impressive.
The only way to get the true brake horsepower (bhp) rating of an engine, is to take it out of the car and put it on a test bench. When you see a bhp number on a dyno chart, that's being calculated based on the wheel horsepower (whp) that's actually being measured.

An experienced operator knows the performance behaviors and characterics of their dyno, and can get pretty close on the estimate of the bhp. The factory numbers are usually available for the baseline comparison for the model being tested on the dyno.

Yes heavier wheels (or lighter) will change the whp. Anytime you take resistance out of the drivetrain, wheels, brakes, etc., you'll see an improvement in whp, but that doesn't change the engine bhp. What you're doing is freeing up power that was being absorbed by the drivetrain, also known as drivetrain loss, and that extra power is now making it to the wheels. This is how you can tell what effect any mods you've done are having on the whp. You'll also see the changes in the engine response curve on the dyno chart. Of course if you do mod the engine, you'll see that in the whp too, but you can improve the power to the wheels and the car's performance without touching the engine.

It's always a good idea if you're really into modding, to get a baseline dyno done first before you do any mods, so you have something to compare the results of your changes to. Sometimes you can actually lose power.

Clearly the Emira has power to tap into. The need to meet emissions to pass homologation, put them in a bind with no other option but to lower the performance just enough to pass certification. They didn't have any other cars with better mileage to leverage for a fleet average. When the Eletre goes into production, that will provide that.

I'm guessing 430 will be easily reachable with just a tune, without any other modifications being required (i.e. cooling, etc.). I expect Komotec will be first to offer that.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
First thread with some optimism. Shhhh don't tell @Leonard snd @emiraspain , they will compare against some Bugatti that costs 15x
Are we now getting excited and celebrating the fact that the car we are buying is actually putting out the manufacturer quoted power figures? 🤔
If so I can get behind that... 😅🤩

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, I reckon Komotec upgrades will be available pretty quickly. No idea how they crack the encryption on the ECU, or why Lotus apparently don't mind given Komotec are also a dealer, but they've done it before. Their 435 remap for the Evora 400/410 looks very interesting. Meaningful gains in power and torque not just at the top end but all the way from 3500rpm. Add a decat pipe for a bit more noise, and hey presto, one very appealing tweaked V6 Emira for relatively small outlay.

2300-003-EX435-Upgrade-DiagrammcrF7X0zVGxpBO_600x600.jpg