UK Auto Deliveries

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, the factory collections are prepped in house, but the agent deliveries are now back with Ontime and PDI'd by the agent. Apparently BCA just prep the home deliveries now.
Interesting - will this sway anyone's decision between home delivery and collection from your local retailer/agent (previously known as dealer). I wonder if a local retailer will undertake a more thorough inspection than BCA as the retailer will want to a) offer a good service to their customers as they will want servicing/maintenance work, b) will try and spot problems before the customer to save the car going back to the retailer for any small issues that could be spotted by a thorough PDI.
I assume that the retailer will get a fee from Lotus for PDI, so they may be keen to have customers collect from them and a good opportunity for relationship building which refers back to point a).
I was thinking that home delivery may be best as it is simply more convenient, but that was with BCA doing all the PDI. I am not sure now. What does everyone think?

OP
J

jpizzle

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting - will this sway anyone's decision between home delivery and collection from your local retailer/agent (previously known as dealer). I wonder if a local retailer will undertake a more thorough inspection than BCA as the retailer will want to a) offer a good service to their customers as they will want servicing/maintenance work, b) will try and spot problems before the customer to save the car going back to the retailer for any small issues that could be spotted by a thorough PDI.
I assume that the retailer will get a fee from Lotus for PDI, so they may be keen to have customers collect from them and a good opportunity for relationship building which refers back to point a).
I was thinking that home delivery may be best as it is simply more convenient, but that was with BCA doing all the PDI. I am not sure now. What does everyone think?i

is your local retailer Oakmere? I am looking to collect from them instead of home delivery

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
is your local retailer Oakmere? I am looking to collect from them instead of home delivery
Yes, it is Oakmere. I am guessing collection is from the showroom at Prestbury, although I assume that they will undertake the PDI at the Northwich service centre, so may be able to collect it from there also? It is about the same distance/time to either one from where I live, so will have to decide whether to collect or have it delivered.

Tim

Reaction score
I was just chasing my March build (Goodwood Friday depositor) as I hadn't had an email since Feb 15th, even though they said "within the next two weeks" 😉

Chat suggests that Type Approval is close too, and that my car is actually in production. Seems this is actually happening this time?!

image001.png

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for your Best Wishes Tim 👍

You seem to be in the same position as I am almost exactly in fact. The agent on the chat suggested my car is due for March build but the answer to type approval was the following.....

Do you know if the auto version has UK type approval yet?

02:47 pm
The Automatic V6 is currently in production, yes!

I suppose I should have pressed for a proper answer...

I think I'm into the 3rd or 4th week since I had "you will get an email in the next two weeks" email.....

Reactions: Tim

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was just chasing my March build (Goodwood Friday depositor) as I hadn't had an email since Feb 15th, even though they said "within the next two weeks" 😉

Chat suggests that Type Approval is close too, and that my car is actually in production. Seems this is actually happening this time?!

View attachment 23875
I am not convinced that any insurer will be able to give auto quotes yet. If they could the auto would show up on comparison sites. I think Customer Care are still making it up as they go along in the absence of any reliable info direct from Lotus.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am not convinced that any insurer will be able to give auto quotes yet. If they could the auto would show up on comparison sites. I think Customer Care are still making it up as they go along in the absence of any reliable info direct from Lotus.
yes this ☝️

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
There will be a delay between the release of the type approval and its showing on websites. Depending on how the site is set up, and the internal process of the business that runs/owns the site. I guess a few days. So we might get prices online Monday (if approval was given this week), which would be comforting, as I'm still concerned my build is going to be pushed again :/

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There will be a delay between the release of the type approval and its showing on websites. Depending on how the site is set up, and the internal process of the business that runs/owns the site. I guess a few days. So we might get prices online Monday (if approval was given this week), which would be comforting, as I'm still concerned my build is going to be pushed again :/
Once Type Approval is granted (in the UK), Thatcham have the contract to upload the data to the insurers and then this is used by the insurers to generate quotes. I am led to believe that this is all algo driven and this factors in the insurers risk appetite, target market etc. Granting of Type Approval also automatically lists the transmission type on sites like confused, comparethe market etc. As this is still not happening, I call BS on what Customer Care have said.
In addition, there is still no published emission data or power output for the auto V6 which is all confirmed by Type Approval.
I note that on the US delivery thread that one member stated that the equivalent process in the US takes 12 months from submission of paperwork and that is the reason that US deliveries are delayed to the final quarter of this calendar year with paperwork that was submitted in the last calandar quarter of 2022.
I don't think that the delays are anything sinister, just hugely inefficient government departments.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just checked with chat and I asked about Type Approval (again)!

Quote from chat
"The automatic Emira does have type approval, with deliveries starting imminently!" ENDS

Also confirmed my car is in build this month with delivery next month (as advised previously)

Not sure who the imminent deliveries are for, certainly no-one on here with no checkouts reported.

I still don't believe them re Type Approval ! Also don't believe the imminent deliveries as there is nothing on this forum or any other or any social media with an imminent delivery of an auto.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just checked with chat and I asked about Type Approval (again)!

Quote from chat
"The automatic Emira does have type approval, with deliveries starting imminently!" ENDS

Also confirmed my car is in build this month with delivery next month (as advised previously)

Not sure who the imminent deliveries are for, certainly no-one on here with no checkouts reported.

I still don't believe them re Type Approval ! Also don't believe the imminent deliveries as there is nothing on this forum or any other or any social media with an imminent delivery of an auto.
"Imminently" to me means the next few days ... to Lotus this could be next month :cautious:

Re; Type approval, from your other comment. That seems odd that an external company can issue a new product straight live with no intermediary step. But if that's how it works, then that's how it works. So I would agree that if what you are saying is correct, then type approval has definitely not been given. Shame we cannot just contact Thatcham and get an answer, im a bit stuffed if this drags on and pushes me out another month, as I will then be without a car for a while. I can make do with no car for a few weeks, but not a few months!

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
From what I’ve read from others on Facebook, the time from check out to actually receiving the car is getting a lot shorter. We may all receive check out emails next week and be told to collect the car 2 or 3 weeks later

The way Lotus are operating,, they are clearly building cars ahead of people actually signing the contracts. So they are confident that they can sell them onto other people or sell them onto dealerships. Getting close to the Tesla model, very few paint and interior options, so many people in the pipeline for each spec option.

Given Matt did a few years working with Tesla, we have to join the dots

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From what I’ve read from others on Facebook, the time from check out to actually receiving the car is getting a lot shorter. We may all receive check out emails next week and be told to collect the car 2 or 3 weeks later

The way Lotus are operating,, they are clearly building cars ahead of people actually signing the contracts. So they are confident that they can sell them onto other people or sell them onto dealerships. Getting close to the Tesla model, very few paint and interior options, so many people in the pipeline for each spec option.

Given Matt did a few years working with Tesla, we have to join the dots
Let's hope they have the infrastructure to support a "mass checkout" I am guessing this will happen as soon as my favourite topic of Type Approval is fully finalised.
I hope that Lotus can facilitate auto test drives for those that want them.
Good point about Matt and Tesla.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If Auto slips to June, do the ones currently built attract the new price? I thought the rise was on build date, so possibly not.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For UK cars I expect it will be based on when the car is due to be built and linked to when they issue you the checkout email and contract for signature.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If Auto slips to June, do the ones currently built attract the new price? I thought the rise was on build date, so possibly not.
I've got an email confirming that I am not affected by the price increase. It was an extra sentence in the general email sent out about price rises. Did your email not include this? I have been March build, April delivery since they pushed all the autos back and customer care confirmed yesterday that this is still the case. What was you last confirmed info?
I think what @CDM1855 mentions above is spot on and there will be a mad scramble to checkout in the next week or two.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've got an email confirming that I am not affected by the price increase. It was an extra sentence in the general email sent out about price rises. Did your email not include this? I have been March build, April delivery since they pushed all the autos back and customer care confirmed yesterday that this is still the case. What was you last confirmed info?
I think what @CDM1855 mentions above is spot on and there will be a mad scramble to checkout in the next week or two.
same here