Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ask the dealer to get a new painted door shipped from Hethel to swap it over. I have no idea how a paint shop can effectively colour match complex metallic colours like Nimbus without access to the paint formula.

Once a panel blisters it is deemed to be defective and needs to be replaced (not repaired / repainted) as the blisters will come back again.
The replacement door is sprayed and surrounding area to be blended in with paint supplied from Lotus. Mines been done at my dealer but unfortunately, it’s not perfect.

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
The replacement door is sprayed and surrounding area to be blended in with paint supplied from Lotus. Mines been done at my dealer but unfortunately, it’s not perfect.
That's my main concern. It will bother me to death if it isn't perfect.

Not quite sure what the best resolution is here?

I contacted my local Lotus Dealership. Their happy to create a warranty claim after seeing the pics.

They haven't stated yet how they will go about rectifying the issue as yet though.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That's my main concern. It will bother me to death if it isn't perfect.

Not quite sure what the best resolution is here?

I contacted my local Lotus Dealership. Their happy to create a warranty claim after seeing the pics.

They haven't stated yet how they will go about rectifying the issue as yet though.
You have to give Lotus the opportunity to fix it. You might get a good bodyshop who will take the time. But mines been resprayed twice and still not perfect when you look really closely. Therefore, I might ask them to buy back the car or ask for a new car if they can’t repair it to a new condition. At the end of the day, no new car should have bubble in the paint work which is less than 12 months old.

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
You have to give Lotus the opportunity to fix it. You might get a good bodyshop who will take the time. But mines been resprayed twice and still not perfect when you look really closely. Therefore, I might ask them to buy back the car or ask for a new car if they can’t repair it to a new condition. At the end of the day, no new car should have bubble in the paint work which is less than 12 months old.
I appreciate the sound advice.

I genuinely feel as though my situation will end up in the same way.

I just don't think it's possible to perfectly match and blend metallic paint. The ideal solution surely would be to spray the whole car again!?

If its not a flawless job... My demands will be of the same nature.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Should have a Sticker on the Drivers Door Inner Sill that contains Vehicle information..... At least in the US all cars have this Sticker, not sure about other locations.....
Thanks I’ll give it a look I a week or so once I’ll be with the car again

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Manufacturers will also see variances in paint, I doubt just replacing a panel with one oem painted is gonna match any better than a professional’s expertise at matching and blending.
The exact same batch of metallic paint sprayed at a different angle or using a different method may look different and not match. Lotus use a metallic undercoat and electrostatically charge the panels + paint for an even finish. Paint shops won't do that.

That's why I'd be most confident in taking as many variables away and getting a panel finished in Lotus' spray booth. The colour variation in paint batches will be very minimal (likely not observable).

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
The exact same batch of metallic paint sprayed at a different angle or using a different method may look different and not match. Lotus use a metallic undercoat and electrostatically charge the panels + paint for an even finish. Paint shops won't do that.

That's why I'd be most confident in taking as many variables away and getting a panel finished in Lotus' spray booth. The colour variation in paint batches will be very minimal (likely not observable).
That is excellent advice.

I shall keep that in mind

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

The electrostatic process is meant as a cost reducer for painting and preventing overspray in automated paint systems. It is compensating for the human skill and finishing work that a skilled body shop would need to competently paint cars.

Color matching metallic paint and flake orientation isn’t a new problem either, but if you want it to be perfect you better take it to a good shop and be willing to pay for the labor.

I just disagree with this idea in general that metallic can’t be matched.

OP
981KMAN

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So far from the POLL data, it appears that the paint blistering/bubbling is confined to early manufactured Emiras....

Sorry for anyone to have this issue, yet good news for those with later manufactured cars....

Thanks to those who took the POLL.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So far from the POLL data, it appears that the paint blistering/bubbling is confined to early manufactured Emiras....

Sorry for anyone to have this issue, yet good news for those with later manufactured cars....

Thanks to those who took the POLL.

Honestly think it's a little early to conclude anything especially knowing the blistering issue needs moisture to be absorbed by the panel and we're in the late stages of summer.

Reactions: DMc

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Honestly think it's a little early to conclude anything especially knowing the blistering issue needs moisture to be absorbed by the panel and we're in the late stages of summer.
Great news... I think we're about to get a lot more data from the UK... 🌧️ 😭

DMc

Reaction score
HI Emira LV, limited paint bubbling appears to have impacted a number of cars. A few have had similar issues on the top of the doors just below the window line.

Mine has it on the passenger side door (RHD version).

My local dealer is waiting on Lotus UK to confirm the fix but thus far the dealer has not provided any feedback.

I have full protective PPF and at first thought it was the PPF bubbling.
It should not be happening. Fibreglass marine hulls had this problem in like the '70's - the old resin absorbs water. Newer stuff doesn't, afaik. So ..it should not be happening. Even if cars are not marine craft, why should any car maker using fibreglass accept a known quality control issue. It does not make sense, at all.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Someone answer me this question. Why does the blistering appear towards the top of the car door on most examples? Why not bottom? Both my doors are blistering on the top?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Someone answer me this question. Why does the blistering appear towards the top of the car door on most examples? Why not bottom? Both my doors are blistering on the top?
Could just be something about how the panel is manufactured and a flaw in that process that leaves the upper portion of the panel more susceptible to water ingress and thus blistering.

As mentioned before, this is a new supplier for Lotus.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mine has arrive at the dealer January 2023 so probably manufacture at December/November and there isn’t any blisters, probably something happened in the manufacturing process because earlier cars and later cars than ones that manufactured at January doesn’t seem to have it. At least it seems it’s a local issue and not all manufacturing months at the moment.

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It seems like someone from the future has taken part in our poll.

I don't think anbody with a "later than" 10/23 production date has received a car as of now.🤣
Or he knows something we don't about the ones currently on the manufacturing line

OP
981KMAN

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It seems like someone from the future has taken part in our poll.

I don't think anbody with a "later than" 10/23 production date has received a car as of now.🤣

Lets hope the issue is confined to the initial production vehicles. This "Future" data point is an obvious error. Hopefully they will correct soon....

petermal57

Reaction score
Hi,
ich habe heute an der Frontstoßstange eine Beschädigung entdeckt. Ich habe PPf von xpel und dachte an einen Steinschlag. Aber es sind eher Blasen (oben und unten)
unter der Folie und in der Mitte eine braune Stelle.
PPf ist 3Monate alt….
hat jemand eine Idee dazu und was ist zu tun…..?

Translation:
Hi,
Today I discovered damage to the front bumper. I have PPf from xpel and thought it was a rock fall. But it's more like bubbles (above and below)
under the foil and in the middle a brown spot.
PPf is 3 months old...
Does anyone have an idea about this and what to do…..?

Attachments

• IMG_9087.jpeg
    IMG_9087.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9085.jpeg
    IMG_9085.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9083.jpeg
    IMG_9083.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9084.jpeg
    IMG_9084.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi,
ich habe heute an der Frontstoßstange eine Beschädigung entdeckt. Ich habe PPf von xpel und dachte an einen Steinschlag. Aber es sind eher Blasen (oben und unten)
unter der Folie und in der Mitte eine braune Stelle.
PPf ist 3Monate alt….
hat jemand eine Idee dazu und was ist zu tun…..?

Translation:
Hi,
Today I discovered damage to the front bumper. I have PPf from xpel and thought it was a rock fall. But it's more like bubbles (above and below)
under the foil and in the middle a brown spot.
PPf is 3 months old...
Does anyone have an idea about this and what to do…..?
So far I’ve heard one other person who said they had bubbles on the front bumper. Usually it’s the doors. It’s spreading!!!