Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Trying to see if the Paint Blistering / Bubbling Issue has a Manufacturing Date Range associated with it.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder what impact PPF has on blistering panels? Could it conceal it, for example?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder what impact PPF has on blistering panels? Could it conceal it, for example?
From what I understand, the blistering is a result of moisture entering and seeping through the back of the panel and the moisture then pushing out under the paint. In hot weather, the moisture would reduce and hence bubbles subside.

PPF on top wouldn't do that much, perhaps slightly hide the issue as it will be more difficult for bubbles to push out (as there would be a bit more resistance), but you would still see it I would think. Pulling the PPF off would likely rip paint off where the bubbles are.

petermal57

Reaction score
Als ich vor Ort in der Fabrik war, waren dort Alu-Fahrgestelle, die nass geregnet waren.....
Könnte also auch mit den Türen passiert sein..

When I was on site at the factory, there were aluminum chassis that had been rained on...
So that could also have happened to the doors..

Last edited by a moderator:

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
Mines was manufactured October 2022

Thanks to this thread I checked yesterday and under the driver door window there is blistering/bubbling under the paint!

My concern is.... putting on a fresh new door with a metallic colour like nimbus grey via warranty.

OP
981KMAN

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How is it possible to check the manufacturing date ?
Should have a Sticker on the Drivers Door Inner Sill that contains Vehicle information..... At least in the US all cars have this Sticker, not sure about other locations.....

Emira LV

Reaction score
Had this strange paint anomaly appear on my nose cone near the Lotus badge , it appears to be coming up through the paint. Anyone else had similar issues ?
Thoughts appreciated

IMG_3357.jpeg
IMG_3357.jpeg

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anyone know if the nose cone is also made of TCA Ultra Lite or just PC/ABS plastic?

JCOz

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
HI Emira LV, limited paint bubbling appears to have impacted a number of cars. A few have had similar issues on the top of the doors just below the window line.

Mine has it on the passenger side door (RHD version).

My local dealer is waiting on Lotus UK to confirm the fix but thus far the dealer has not provided any feedback.

I have full protective PPF and at first thought it was the PPF bubbling.

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
How would you expect your local Lotus garage to resolve this issue?

I am just curious to know what would be satisfactory in your mind

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ask the dealer to get a new painted door shipped from Hethel to swap it over. I have no idea how a paint shop can effectively colour match complex metallic colours like Nimbus without access to the paint formula.

Once a panel blisters it is deemed to be defective and needs to be replaced (not repaired / repainted) as the blisters will come back again.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ask the dealer to get a new painted door shipped from Hethel to swap it over. I have no idea how a paint shop can effectively colour match complex metallic colours like Nimbus without access to the paint formula.

Once a panel blisters it is deemed to be defective and needs to be replaced (not repaired / repainted) as the blisters will come back again.
Manufacturers will also see variances in paint, I doubt just replacing a panel with one oem painted is gonna match any better than a professional’s expertise at matching and blending.