Lotus Emira resale prices? How much will the Emira sell on the 2nd hand market?

RCL

Reaction score
Hi friends,

As we've all seen, popular cars and especially brand new model 'hot' cars like broncos, c8 corvette, new G-wagon, etc are selling for tens of thousands over MSRP because supply is low and they are brand new models that are in high demand.

Lotus here in the USA doesn't have the brand renown that those have, but once the Emira actually gets delivered and people learn about it I think it'll grow popular FAST. I think the people will start to see the special appeal of the Emira being mid engine, rwd, 6mt with stunning aesthetics. Not that I plan to, but I could see these selling for 130K EASILY and potentially 150+. Here in the stats 190K g wagons are selling for 300k, 60k broncos are selling for 100k, and new 70k vettes are selling for 90+ as well.

What do you think the Emira will be worth on the market? I see 2021 Evora's being sold for 90-100 which is about what a well optioned Emira will cost, considering the Emira is newer, better looking, I'd imagine it'd be worth a lot more than the Evora's? What are your thoughts? (For the record, I plan on keeping the Emira at least 3 years until I can afford a Huracan).

denk0815

Reaction score
In a perfect market, the price of the Evora would drop, but in a world where people put cars in their garage because an intern in GQ magazine tells them it's a good value, it's a different story.
There are probably more "collectors" than the annual production in Hethel.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Economics 101: supply/demand curve.

Depends on how many Emiras Lotus will sell. It's true that Merc can jack up prices on the G, but they also have mass sellers like C, E, GLC, GLE. Lotus doesn't have that. My bet is the Emira will be sold at par mostly maybe with a small premium due to production delays, etc. But I doubt Lotus is trying to play hard -to-get with the Emira model, especially considering it was bought by the Chinese tycoon.

1651392807419.png

Castano

Reaction score
First, hello to all of you !
Second, sry for my english which is not good as it should be.
Third.
Don’t forget that’s the last combustion?! Engined car Lotus will produce.
I don’t belive that they will touched an output of 3500 units in year !!!
And sorry for that but the eletre will never be a big seller …so maybe it’s the beginning of the end ?!

denk0815

Reaction score
Third.
And sorry for that but the eletre will never be a big seller …so maybe it’s the beginning of the end ?!
There is an first edition and i guess there will be an last/final edition.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Third.
every other top brands EV has sold in large quantities and generated a lot of profit, why do you suppose Lotus's will not sell? It has the best looking interior of any of them and would appear to have a very good range and be extremely fast, so not sure why you are down on it... I think it will sell, although I dont think its a great looking car, agressive front, boring volvo style side and the back... kia EV ish... a mix match in my opinion, but Id like to see it in person

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Third.
They'll produce at least 3,500 Emiras in 2022 from July onwards. In 2023 they'll build 10,000 with two shifts.

Eletre target is 25-30,000 a year and judging by the sales of premium SUVs and EV SUVs by other manufacturers they should achieve that.

Why do you think the Eletre won't be a big seller?

Castano

Reaction score
They'll produce at least 3,500 Emiras in 2022 from July onwards. In 2023 they'll build 10,000 with two shifts.

Eletre target is 25-30,000 a year and judging by the sales of premium SUVs and EV SUVs by other manufacturers they should achieve that.

The eketre is a look a like urus, other producer offer very good cars in this ranch and it is ver ambitionatet for first try

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Really depends on how they price it and approach the market. Competition here is stern and there’s no ‘Lotus’ goodwill / heritage to lean on. If the approach is anything like the Emira then I have my doubts.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The problem for the Eletre, is Lotus is getting into probably the most competitive market out there, other than trucks. Everybody and their dog is focusing on SUV's right now, so you have to really do something spectacular to rise above the competition.

This is where the Emira grabbed the brass ring; it looks like nothing else out there in its price range, and a lot of things much more expensive. That would have been enough to get everyone's attention, but then they added the incentive of the price point. DING DING DING WINNER WINNER.

It doesn't look like they've achieved that with the Eletre at this point. The exterior doesn't rise to the same level as the Emira. It has a better looking interior though, so that will help. It's faster, so there's no concern about it not having enough power, although I don't know how big a deal that is to the typical upscale SUV customer.

Do we know the price of the Eletre yet? I'm guessing at least £100k? Anything above 100k moves it out of the fat part of the bell curve and into the smaller marketshare area. Depending on how far above 100k, the available marketshare starts to shrink fast. Now add the fact that everybody is producing something for, and targeting that segment of the market. It's going to be very tough to grab a sizable slice of that pie.

The Emira on the other hand, is basically only competing against the Cayman. The only American car you could possibly consider a competitor is the C8. The only real German competitor at its price point is the Cayman. If you want to stretch you could possibly say the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is a maybe competitor, but it's a sports sedan, not a sports car. Anything from Japan? Not really, not in a serious way. Same with South Korea.

The Emira perfectly hit the bullseye where and when it needed to, and the sales response shows it. The Eletre is not getting that same reaction. Every major manufacturer, and the upscale speciality manufacturers either are, or are going to be making an electric SUV. If Lotus sells 25k-30k in a year, the bulk of that would probably be in China. I just don't see it grabbing those kinds of sales numbers from the U.S. or Europe. They would need a stunning body style like the Emira, and the current one just isn't at that level. If it wasn't for the interior, the Eletre would have a good chance of not doing very well at all. There just isn't anything there that's compelling enough to make it stand out as the better choice over all the competition. If it wasn't for the way the Emira looks, it would have that same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: xen

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Has Lotus delivered more than 25,000 total vehicles since inception?

#ForTheMath

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The problem for the Eletre, is Lotus is getting into probably the most competitive market out there, other than trucks. Everybody and their dog is focusing on SUV's right now, so you have to really do something spectacular to rise above the competition.

This is where the Emira grabbed the brass ring; it looks like nothing else out there in its price range, and a lot of things much more expensive. That would have been enough to get everyone's attention, but then they added the incentive of the price point. DING DING DING WINNER WINNER.

It doesn't look like they've achieved that with the Eletre at this point. The exterior doesn't rise to the same level as the Emira. It has a better looking interior though, so that will help. It's faster, so there's no concern about it not having enough power, although I don't know how big a deal that is to the typical upscale SUV customer.

Do we know the price of the Eletre yet? I'm guessing at least £100k? Anything above 100k moves it out of the fat part of the bell curve and into the smaller marketshare area. Depending on how far above 100k, the available marketshare starts to shrink fast. Now add the fact that everybody is producing something for, and targeting that segment of the market. It's going to be very tough to grab a sizable slice of that pie.

The Emira on the other hand, is basically only competing against the Cayman. The only American car you could possibly consider a competitor is the C8. The only real German competitor at its price point is the Cayman. If you want to stretch you could possibly say the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is a maybe competitor, but it's a sports sedan, not a sports car. Anything from Japan? Not really, not in a serious way. Same with South Korea.

The Emira perfectly hit the bullseye where and when it needed to, and the sales response shows it. The Eletre is not getting that same reaction. Every major manufacturer, and the upscale speciality manufacturers either are, or are going to be making an electric SUV. If Lotus sells 25k-30k in a year, the bulk of that would probably be in China. I just don't see it grabbing those kinds of sales numbers from the U.S. or Europe. They would need a stunning body style like the Emira, and the current one just isn't at that level. If it wasn't for the interior, the Eletre would have a good chance of not doing very well at all. There's just isn't anything there that's compelling enough to make it stand out as the better choice over all the competition. If it wasn't for the way the Emira looks, it would have that same problem.
Totally agree.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Totally agree.
Right. Lotus is going from “oh you don’t know who we are, just a niche sports car team here, we produce a few hundred vehicles for true fans” to “oh yeah, we’ve built dozens of cars, so we should be able to scale to 100,000 now, and compete with all the top brands globally… no really, watch this dancing video.”

#ForTheConfident

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Right. Lotus is going from “oh you don’t know who we are, just a niche sports car team here, we produce a few hundred vehicles for true fans” to “oh yeah, we’ve built dozens of cars, so we should be able to scale to 100,000 now, and compete with all the top brands globally… no really, watch this dancing video.”

#ForTheConfident
In Marketing parlance it's called 'spin.'

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

The Emira perfectly hit the bullseye where and when it needed to, and the sales response shows it. The Eletre is not getting that same reaction. Every major manufacturer, and the upscale speciality manufacturers either are, or are going to be making an electric SUV. If Lotus sells 25k-30k in a year, the bulk of that would probably be in China. I just don't see it grabbing those kinds of sales numbers from the U.S. or Europe. They would need a stunning body style like the Emira, and the current one just isn't at that level. If it wasn't for the interior, the Eletre would have a good chance of not doing very well at all. There's just isn't anything there that's compelling enough to make it stand out as the better choice over all the competition. If it wasn't for the way the Emira looks, it would have that same problem.

At the top of the segment though, it’s a much thinner crowd. If you want a go-fast EV SUV (I understand the contradiction but this is the market demand) your choices are Model X Plaid and Eletre.

Eletre looks better than the aging, egg-y X and the interior looks much more luxurious. The Tesla has the better livability and autonomy. Lotus is perhaps the better value of its X-like performance for $100k, especially with the tax credit in the states. X Plaid starts at $138k. Lotus also stacks up pretty well on the important stats like range and peak charge rate.

Other competitors in the lux EV SUV game will be Hummer and Rivian, but those are less performance focused and more about “adventure”.

30k isn’t a huge number, I think they’ll hit their targets.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

#ForTheConfident
The difference in the Eletre's case, is Geely is building an entirely new production facility in Wuhan China just for electric vehicles. It's supposed to be capable of those kinds of production numbers. The obvious and easy market for that is China. I think they've got a pretty big hill to climb to become the global player they say they want to be.

Not saying it can't be done, but they'll need Emira-like design, or they'll fall short. That's the thing with the electric future. With the same basic architecture and components under the skin, the big differential between competitors is going to be looks; outside and inside. Killer styling is going to get the attention. It won't be power, transmission, chassis setup etc. anymore. Even fancy electronic features on the inside will take second place to looks, because everybody will pretty much have the same electronic features.

The automotive future is going to be very different from what it has been.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Frankly I don’t see the rush to go all EV either.
At the top of the segment though, it’s a much thinner crowd. If you want a go-fast EV SUV (I understand the contradiction but this is the market demand) your choices are Model X Plaid and Eletre.

Eletre looks better than the aging, egg-y X and the interior looks much more luxurious. The Tesla has the better livability and autonomy. Lotus is perhaps the better value of its X-like performance for $100k, especially with the tax credit in the states. X Plaid starts at $138k. Lotus also stacks up pretty well on the important stats like range and peak charge rate.

Other competitors in the lux EV SUV game will be Hummer and Rivian, but those are less performance focused and more about “adventure”.

The Eletre price is ‘from’ 100K. The spec shown will likely be closer to 120K.

Regarding competition the IX M60 and AMG EQS SUV will be about as fast.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The difference in the Eletre's case, is Geely is building an entirely new production facility in Wuhan China just for electric vehicles. It's supposed to be capable of those kinds of production numbers. The obvious and easy market for that is China. I think they've got a pretty big hill to climb to become the global player they say they want to be.

Not saying it can't be done, but they'll need Emira-like design, or they'll fall short. That's the thing with the electric future. With the same basic architecture and components under the skin, the big differential between competitors is going to be looks; outside and inside. Killer styling is going to get the attention. It won't be power, transmission, chassis setup etc. anymore. Even fancy electronic features on the inside will take second place to looks, because everybody will pretty much have the same electronic features.

The automotive future is going to be very different from what it has been.
Yup. Agree. China.

I don’t think we will see a lot of Lotus on the road in the US until 2030 unless they can run the direct to consumer model and cut out the US dealers.

#ForTheBranding

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

The 100k was in British Pounds, that translates to $125,000 U.S. That's the base starting point. Nobody who can afford a vehicle at that price point is going to want just the base model, so figure with options, sales tax and all that jazz, it's going to be around $150,000. This is assuming the base price is £100,000. With the way things are right now and inflation, it could easily be more before production begins.

If you figure that Ferrari, Lamborghini, Stellantis (Alfa Romeo Tonale), Audi, Porsche, BMW, GM and all its subsidiaries (Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, etc.), Ford, Lexus, Jaguar, Tesla, Maserati.... you name it, EVERYBODY is aiming at this segment of the market... it's going to be tough to be competitive. Like you said, it's a much thinner crowd at those prices.