Keeping the car in Tour mode for the 1000 mile break-in

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm just curious how many people have stuck to the recommendation of keeping the car in Tour mode for the first 1000 mile engine break-in? I certainly plan to follow the other recommendations for break-in but I'm struggling whether I will adhere to the Tour mode. I'm just curious if others have stuck to it and/or how critical this is if the other (more important) recommendations are followed?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used Sport mode towards the end of the run in period, but would use manual gear selection (I4). TBH, even in tour it could hold onto gears a bit longer than I’d want.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I am going to stay with the instructions to minimize risk of warranty nullification.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What about sport mode puts more stress on the engine than tour mode, all things else being equal?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
What about sport mode puts more stress on the engine than tour mode, all things else being equal?
I don't know. Throttle response may be more aggressive, fuel mixture may be leaner. I am not going to second guess the manufacturer's specific recommendations. 🤗

Emira Fan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
[you don’t want to risk any warranty work being denied]
[Tour mode for the first 1000 mile engine break-in?]

I'm sure the drive modes are stored, if something goes wrong it gives Lotus a possible out to the warranty claim [engine, turbo, dtc].

Not putting the car in Sport or Track mode for 1,000 miles is excessive, instead they should have more reasonable requirements.
Stay under {x} RPMs, no Launch Control, no Tracking. Just bought a Turbo Alfa for my daughter, the above are basic break-in instructions

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm just curious how many people have stuck to the recommendation of keeping the car in Tour mode for the first 1000 mile engine break-in? I certainly plan to follow the other recommendations for break-in but I'm struggling whether I will adhere to the Tour mode. I'm just curious if others have stuck to it and/or how critical this is if the other (more important) recommendations are followed?
The dealer only mentioned the 4K RPM limit. They made no mention at all of driving modes and TBH this is the first I've heard of it. Where did this information come from? I went through the quick start guide just now and don't see it anywhere.

EDIT: Found it on page 203 of the owner handbook (which only seems to be found online and not actually in the car itself):

1710013689381.png

Last edited:

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The dealer demos are certainly not limited to Tour for their break-in, and I doubt Lotus would void warranty on ex-demo cars, plus the fact that info is only found hundreds of pages in on an online document, then I won't be sticking to Tour only (although will be staying away from track mode).

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw 2 things.

1. Occasional bursts are healthy. Just not sustained RPM over 4k
2. Idle engine after hot laps.

After break in- I’m a firm believer that redlining your car occasionally once at operating temp is healthy and keeps your car used to operating on full tilt. I never understood those used car buyers that didn’t want their cars redlined. Over revs are bad but redline? That’s what the car is supposed to do. In fact bogging the engine and always being in too high a gear I think is way worse for a drivetrain.

Also the idle rec makes me think of turbo cars. You definitely want to cool those down after hot laps. I guess the same goes for superchargers? I never actually thought about that.

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am of course adhering it fully by Lotus recommendation 😉, for what its worth though, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl that he enjoys using the sport mode from time to time, but does not exceed the 4k limit. He says you have to recognize, that the least questionable part of this journey is the 20 year proven 2GR-FE from TOYOTA and a Japanese gear box. Live moves fast……….

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Older versions of the Handbook, and translations based on them, did not have that bullet.
View attachment 38524
Exactly this is what we got last year as guidelines, the one´s I followed.
Actually mine (AUTO) I had it most of the time in Sport during break-in and in Manual Mode to have better control myself over the engine/throttle and avoid auto change by surprise, therefore the closer to you guys with Manual Trans