Keeping the car in Tour mode for the 1000 mile break-in

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The i4 I test drove last Friday was running in and I was advised to keep it under 4,500 rpm. However, the dealer had no issues with putting it into sport mode for most of the drive :)

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just an opinion, but...

If no written manual is included with the sale of the car, and the salesman representing Lotus doesn't share the proper break-in procedure with you during delivery, I would think it would be very, very difficult for Lotus to deny any sort of warranty claim on the basis that you exceeded 4k RPM or switched to sport mode too many times. This of course assumes that have not been obviously abusive to the car.

If this break-in is so critical, I would expect there to be signed acknowledgement that you have been informed about it. Additionally, the car could easily be electronically limited to a certain rev range, or locked out of sport mode. It wasn't, which is why I suspect Lotus may have included this language to deny warranty claims as it sees fit in cases of obvious abuse.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The dealer only mentioned the 4K RPM limit. They made no mention at all of driving modes and TBH this is the first I've heard of it. Where did this information come from? I went through the quick start guide just now and don't see it anywhere.

EDIT: Found it on page 203 of the owner handbook (which only seems to be found online and not actually in the car itself):

View attachment 38512

This is page 207 and 18 of the US manual.
Screenshot_20240313-111925.png

Screenshot_20240313-112003.png

Emira Fan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
[If no written manual is included with the sale of the car, and the salesman representing Lotus doesn't share the proper break-in procedure with you during delivery, I would think it would be very, very difficult for Lotus to deny any sort of warranty claim on the basis.]

Suspect you're right.... there must a litigation lawyer in this forum to provide a bit more clarity on how this may go court.

Is just flipping the drive mode to Sport to hear the exhaust difference in the first 1000 miles a possible warranty disqualification event for an engine or trans issue?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m at 109 miles … painfully doing it the right way, below 4k rpm and in your mode… or sucks but it’s worth it if like me you intend to keep this car forever … after all it is the last REAL lotus ! ICE ICE BABY

HeReigns

Reaction score
The way I read the first 1000 mile runnin in period is to not constantly be above 4k rpm’s and do not use full throttle . It doesn’t say never go above 4k.

It says occasional bursts at wider throttle will be beneficial. I plan on going over 4k occasionally during the first 1000 miles just not mashing the gas pedal to redline.

trackday14

Emira Fan
Reaction score
[If no written manual is included with the sale of the car, and the salesman representing Lotus doesn't share the proper break-in procedure with you during delivery, I would think it would be very, very difficult for Lotus to deny any sort of warranty claim on the basis.]

Suspect you're right.... there must a litigation lawyer in this forum to provide a bit more clarity on how this may go court.

Is just flipping the drive mode to Sport to hear the exhaust difference in the first 1000 miles a possible warranty disqualification event for an engine or trans issue?
As a 25+ year lawyer, I think an owner has the upper hand here for at least the following reasons:
1. No manual provided by the dealer that contains provisions regarding any break-in period;
2. Owners have to look on their own for full ownership manuals;
3. Dealers do not mention any break-in period;
4. Multiple versions of ownership manuals and corresponding break-in periods; and
5. No software limiters or electronic warnings to restrict driver behavior.

I would argue that these factors demonstrate that owner’s relied to their detriment on the dealers (and Lotus).

The only factor that I see in Lotus’ favor is that us forum members have notice that there appears to be a break-in period and should have contacted Lotus/our dealer for clarification.

If I were inclined not to abide by the break-in information we have seen so far, I would email my dealer and Lotus for clarity (and a CYA paper trail).

Subw00er

Reaction score
The way I read the first 1000 mile runnin in period is to not constantly be above 4k rpm’s and do not use full throttle . It doesn’t say never go above 4k.

It says occasional bursts at wider throttle will be beneficial. I plan on going over 4k occasionally during the first 1000 miles just not mashing the gas pedal to redline.
I think somewhere else it says for first 4or 600 miles to not go above 4k, but then it says what you wrote above.

I'm with you though. I just take it easy, gentle on everything, no hard throttle transitions, but I think some light accels are fine. This is a Toyota motor. I doubt its breaking in much of anything, but there could be tiny debris and crap inside, burrs or whatever. Dont wanna slosh that crap around. :) A mechanic told me once that some light accells will help seat the rings, but to this day I still dont really get what seating a ring is.. They're not really supposed to do anything but rotate and make a good mesh to the wall. Modern motors have such high tolerances, its not going to take long to just buff down any minimal high points about.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don’t believe you need to completely baby the car. Relatively spirited, maybe 1/3rd throttle, and don’t hang onto gears too long. I tried to use my car on regular streets, not sitting at constant speeds on highways/dual carriageways much. As you get a few miles under it, it shouldn’t be a problem to rev it out a bit more.

On my I4, I just did an oil/filter change after run in and after I’d done about 200km using the fulls revs/throttle (1800km, ~1150 miles). The oil was pretty black, very happy I swapped it.

Attachments

• d20fc716e1ba7a9a7ba307c50e31cf6c.jpeg
    d20fc716e1ba7a9a7ba307c50e31cf6c.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 30

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As far as damage I can’t see using sport mode would be any worse for the running in period. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I thought apart from electronic stability assistance Sports on gave better throttle response and no more power.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could be more of an i4 thing, as new owners are saying that Sport mode tends to keep the turbos spooled.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could be more of an i4 thing, as new owners are saying that Sport mode tends to keep the turbos spooled.
Yeah, but even so, it’s not such a bad thing. You only get anywhere near full boost when you give it big throttle openings.

I think it’s just the fact sport will tend to rev higher and so it’s easy to rev higher than you should in sport or track when in Auto. Easier to make a blanket statement than say sport is fine, just select gears manually, etc, etc.

I personally like to live life on the edge and did occasionally use Sport and God forbid, 4krpm was exceeded occasionally :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: