Keeping the car in Tour mode for the 1000 mile break-in

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm driving almost exclusively in sport - I'm trying to generally keep to the 4k limit, with occasional bursts of higher. Haven't redlined it yet, but the true crime is restricting the pure bliss of engine noise above 4k for the first 1000 miles.

Torture.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Older versions of the Handbook, and translations based on them, did not have that bullet.
View attachment 38524
I would be interested to know what they discovered that caused them to add that stipulation in the latest version of the handbook. Think I'll abide by it. I've waited too long and this car costs too much to risk issues later on because I couldn't discipline myself to follow procedure for the first 1,000 miles.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The newer handbooks have reference to the AMG i4 engine and transmission. The older ones may be more focused on the V6 setups. I wonder what the Evora / Exige handbooks say.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I saw 2 things.

1. Occasional bursts are healthy. Just not sustained RPM over 4k
2. Idle engine after hot laps.

After break in- I’m a firm believer that redlining your car occasionally once at operating temp is healthy and keeps your car used to operating on full tilt. I never understood those used car buyers that didn’t want their cars redlined. Over revs are bad but redline? That’s what the car is supposed to do. In fact bogging the engine and always being in too high a gear I think is way worse for a drivetrain.

Also the idle rec makes me think of turbo cars. You definitely want to cool those down after hot laps. I guess the same goes for superchargers? I never actually thought about that.
Totally agree on all your points. And I am glad this was posted to treat the supercharger the same way as a turbo.

IMO, no real proof, people have issues with high performance engines that don't continuously push them. After break in, you need to be at redline. Letting the car idle allowing the coolant to circulate is also important IMO after hard driving. Don't just shut off.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The newer handbooks have reference to the AMG i4 engine and transmission. The older ones may be more focused on the V6 setups. I wonder what the Evora / Exige handbooks say.
It does indeed seem to have come in with the addition of the i4 to the handbook, but if that requirement is there because of the i4 then they could just have separated it out, after all they specifically say no launch control for the i4/DCT until run in. When my i4 lands I will most likely stick to tour until run-in.

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Now quick question would adding a decat be better after break in, before ? Or it doesn’t matter? And would that void the warranty in anyways?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would be interested to know what they discovered that caused them to add that stipulation in the latest version of the handbook. Think I'll abide by it. I've waited too long and this car costs too much to risk issues later on because I couldn't discipline myself to follow procedure for the first 1,000 miles.
Sport mode holds onto gears longer when in Auto mode (I4). The only reason i can see for Tour during run in, is that it should keep the revs lower. If you use manual selection, then I’d be shocked if it had any negative impact to use Sport.

Personally I only used tour for the first 700/800 miles, then started to use Sport sometimes, also with Manual gear selection. I like to live dangerously :cool::p

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Looks like a few people have decat theirs day one. It doesn’t void warranty.
That’s good to know! Now I. Also looking at the valve controller. I feel like the decat and valve controller would be the perfect combo to get the most sound out of that engine

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s good to know! Now I. Also looking at the valve controller. I feel like the decat and valve controller would be the perfect combo to get the most sound out of that engine
GRP decat with miltek Valve controller

this was posted yesterday. Exact setup you’re talking about. And yes, I think it’s prob the best bang for the buck if you’re in a non carb state.

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
GRP decat with miltek Valve controller

this was posted yesterday. Exact setup you’re talking about. And yes, I think it’s prob the best bang for the buck if you’re in a non carb state.
Damn that sounds awesome… I already got the decat and just ordered the valve controller! Now I just need the car 😂 (hopefully next week). I might do the first 500-1000 without any mods then do an oil change and then install everything…. But then again I might just install everything right away 🤷🏻‍♂️

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Spoke with one of the good dealers around. They said they'd never heard of the Tour requirement and specifically mentioned their demo cars have been run in sport/track almost entirely prior to run-in. I'm not saying that's best, but I hardly think any dealer or Lotus will reject warranty claims because someone used sport mode during run-in.

Anyhow, I'm just over 200 miles in now after some spirited drives (under or near 4K!) today. I gotta say, the more comfortable I get and the more loose the car gets, the more fun it becomes. The UK/euro guys were spot on. This car is going to be an absolute blast! Took the wife on her first ride in it today and she LOVED It!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was thinking about this as well, why the change. Like @virtualmacho said, it’s likely due to the i4. The sport / track modes make much more aggressive shifts and holds gears higher. Probably not good for break in. I assume this would be the same for V6 auto. Obviously for manual cars you do it yourself.

Fil

Reaction score
I'm just curious how many people have stuck to the recommendation of keeping the car in Tour mode for the first 1000 mile engine break-in? I certainly plan to follow the other recommendations for break-in but I'm struggling whether I will adhere to the Tour mode. I'm just curious if others have stuck to it and/or how critical this is if the other (more important) recommendations are followed?
I followed the recommendation. It was a long and frustrating 1000 miles. The following 1000 miles was more fun!

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I put 500 miles on my car today taking it from dealer in Chicago

I went over 4k a few times...
Its not a big deal right?
Also tried sport and track but never hit it too hard.

I realize some of you won't do this, but.. shit.. I wonder if it was a bad idea?

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That Toyota engine un boosted is bomb proof , I suspect most of the break in stuff is for the super charger

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I put 500 miles on my car today taking it from dealer in Chicago

I went over 4k a few times...
Its not a big deal right?
Also tried sport and track but never hit it too hard.

I realize some of you won't do this, but.. shit.. I wonder if it was a bad idea?
Not at all, it's actually better to avoid constant rpms