Keeping a Lotus outside

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
One question I’ve been thinking about as my previous garage is now a kitchen ! My Emira will live outside and I was just curious what Evora owners have experienced if their pride and joy isn’t garaged ? I plan to get a cover for it and would hope it will more than cope but thought I’d ask!

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
One question I’ve been thinking about as my previous garage is now a kitchen ! My Emira will live outside and I was just curious what Evora owners have experienced if their pride and joy isn’t garaged ? I plan to get a cover for it and would hope it will more than cope but thought I’d ask!
Will your Emira be on a drive or on the road ?
For me the Emira should be locked away as I had bad experiences leaving my Elise’s on the street when living in London.
Such a shame.

OP
richbrown

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Will your Emira be on a drive or on the road ?
For me the Emira should be locked away as I had bad experiences leaving my Elise’s on the street when living in London.
Such a shame.
Good question! Not on the road in a driveway on a quiet road so hope to avoid any vandalism issues etc.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Garages are for sissies !! I street park my bitches 24/7/365

Anyway.... my Blue C8.....is it coupe or convertible ? best guess wins......

Attachments

• 0B30DE31-DA4C-41EF-A604-823158DE3B67.jpeg
    0B30DE31-DA4C-41EF-A604-823158DE3B67.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 145
  • F266912B-CD8D-4073-88A5-C0EAAEDC6540.jpeg
    F266912B-CD8D-4073-88A5-C0EAAEDC6540.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 146

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I kept my Evora outside last winter and had no problems. My car (410 Sport) had the lithium ion battery which you have to look after. I kept it plugged in to a battery tender fed from an outside socket. The postman once remarked 'I didn't realise it was an electric car when he noticed the electric cable' -I just smiled.
I didn't have a cover as I always feel that unless the car is spotlessly clean (and the underside of the cover) that when you get any wind or breeze, over time the cover will act like a mild sandpaper on the paint. I may be completely worng about this (I have been wrong before!).
I was surprised how much I used the Evora as last winter was mostly mild. I had a rule that I didn't use it if the temperature was below 5 degrees C to avoid any chance of surface ice.
Car is now sold and there is an Emira shaped space on my drive.
I will most likely get the Emira ceramic coated as it makes cleaning the car so much easier. A blast with the pressure washer, then snow foam, then rinse off and dry off with a handheld Ryobi air blower. That way you are not touching the paint with anything other than the water/foam and keeps the dreaded swirls marks away.

OP
richbrown

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I kept my Evora outside last winter and had no problems. My car (410 Sport) had the lithium ion battery which you have to look after. I kept it plugged in to a battery tender fed from an outside socket. The postman once remarked 'I didn't realise it was an electric car when he noticed the electric cable' -I just smiled.
I didn't have a cover as I always feel that unless the car is spotlessly clean (and the underside of the cover) that when you get any wind or breeze, over time the cover will act like a mild sandpaper on the paint. I may be completely worng about this (I have been wrong before!).
I was surprised how much I used the Evora as last winter was mostly mild. I had a rule that I didn't use it if the temperature was below 5 degrees C to avoid any chance of surface ice.
Car is now sold and there is an Emira shaped space on my drive.
I will most likely get the Emira ceramic coated as it makes cleaning the car so much easier. A blast with the pressure washer, then snow foam, then rinse off and dry off with a handheld Ryobi air blower. That way you are not touching the paint with anything other than the water/foam and keeps the dreaded swirls marks away.
Thanks for this. I ceramic coated my current car and worked a treat. Autobead and did a DIY treatment. Yes not sure on covers and if they are any good in the medium to long run.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I would not use a cover unless the car is in a closed garage. Dust trapped under the cover will destroy the paint as the cover moves with the wind.

The covers I have had were custom made for the car. One car has been under a cover for 14 years and I have never had a problem with dust, pollen, bird crap, etc. I even have landscapers blowing around it. The cover has the ability to also be tied underneath the car to make it even tighter. I only use this for the strong storm we get every few years.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My experience comes from living in Utah, which is a very dusty place. I had a dark blue metallic Honda whose clear coat was marred by a canon custom, but high quality cover that had elastic fitting and was held in place by cables side to side and front to back. I was really surprised when I removed the cover for the first time. I worked out the finish with an orbital polish, but it was a lot of work. I’d rather not repeat the experience. Just my opinion, and I suspect the shear amount of dust was a significant factor. To be fair, living outside without a cover probably has comparable risks. My Emira will live indoors when not traveling the twistees.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My experience comes from living in Utah, which is a very dusty place. I had a dark blue metallic Honda whose clear coat was marred by a canon custom, but high quality cover that had elastic fitting and was held in place by cables side to side and front to back. I was really surprised when I removed the cover for the first time. I worked out the finish with an orbital polish, but it was a lot of work. I’d rather not repeat the experience. Just my opinion, and I suspect the shear amount of dust was a significant factor. To be fair, living outside without a cover probably has comparable risks. My Emira will live indoors when not traveling the twistees.

My response really didn't respond to your post now that I read this. I guess I really don't have a lot of experience with dust. My outdoor place is by no means dusty.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I kept an S1 followed by an S2 Elise outside for several years of ownership. The S1 I used a cover for its first winter and even spotlessly clean when covered up the wings had light marking all over them. I then used cling film to wrap around the car and didnt have those issues but was a faff! The S2 I left to the elements and it was fine (but they'd sorted the leaking roof by then!). Any modern car should be more than capable of living outside. Im trying to work out if a garage lift can fit in mine and 'stack' 2 cars in one space...

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My response really didn't respond to your post now that I read this. I guess I really don't have a lot of experience with dust. My outdoor place is by no means dusty.
No worries at all. I’m sure there are environments and circumstances where a cover can be a great thing. I have all of my cars covered indoors and they do a great job protecting them. My experience outdoors was not as favorable. It may have been impacted by not having a custom cover and needing it to breath so not being able to have that really soft inside surface. My experience was also “pre-ceramic coatings”, which may change the equation too. I would also suggest being vigilant. Don’t do like I did, which was to cover the car and leave it to sit through a long winter. That was dumb of me!

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat I don't have a garage and will have to park my Emira on the driveway. I'm thinking about getting one of these.
Something is better than nothing at least it will protect the car from the elements rain snow dust.