Is the Boot opening a design problem

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is the boot opening a design Problem , see Harrys video
I think it is a great design. Imagine if you had a small candle burning on the engine cover, and you can see how that can be a dangerous situation. Luckily it had rained just a short while ago and with a simple lift of the gate, the candle will be put out. Disaster averted.

Always thinking ahead, those clever engineers.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Engine gets wet all the time. No big deal an occasional splash on boot opening

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a problem.. just something to be aware of. One can simply dry off the hatch lid before opening or just lift it slowly so the water doesn't splash everywhere. All vehicles have small quirks like that the one usually notices while detailing for the first time.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could they have designed it better? Maybe. Is it an issue? Unlikely. Overblown? Yes.

They need vents for air circulation in the back. On my Evora, after I park the car, I can easily feel hot air escaping from the vents that are in the back and top area of the rear lid. It probably cools down the engine a lot faster than engines with a closed hood on top.

Attachments

• 5FBED7C0-0F4E-4E36-B413-28C181548C59.png
    5FBED7C0-0F4E-4E36-B413-28C181548C59.png
    316.8 KB · Views: 72

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It's a design for California! No issue here

OP
C

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think it is a great design. Imagine if you had a small candle burning on the engine cover, and you can see how that can be a dangerous situation. Luckily it had rained just a short while ago and with a simple lift of the gate, the candle will be put out. Disaster averted.

Always thinking ahead, those clever engineers.
What a fantastic idea, 😂😂😂😂

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A front engine car with a large grill would have the same issue (non-issue). Just keep a towel in the boot and don't worry about it.

GJH

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have seen it in real life but when I did my test drive in the pouring rain and we opened the boot water went into the actual boot space as well as onto the engine cover.

It is a ridiculous design flaw and one Lotus knows about as it has put drain holes into the seal around the boot space. The rep seemed pleased that the big brains at Lotus had thought of this, as if it were a solution.

On its own would it stop me buying an Emira? Of course not.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My Evora has a similar effect with how the water runs off the hatch sides. You quickly get used to opening it part-way to let it drain onto the wings rather than the engine bay or boot.

If you’re worried about the engine getting wet, I assume you don’t drive cars in the rain?

OP
C

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have seen it in real life but when I did my test drive in the pouring rain and we opened the boot water went into the actual boot space as well as onto the engine cover.

It is a ridiculous design flaw and one Lotus knows about as it has put drain holes into the seal around the boot space. The rep seemed pleased that the big brains at Lotus had thought of this, as if it were a solution.

On its own would it stop me buying an Emira? Of course not.
It dies nske you think , what all tge development Cars were for , surly they could have come up with a soulution 😳
I am sure that when my wifes clothes are in there , when we go touring , she will be bery impressed ,
My Clothes will behind the sests 👍👌

OP
C

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It dies nske you think , what all tge development Cars were for , surly they could have come up with a soulution 😳
I am sure that when my wifes clothes are in there , when we go touring , she will be bery impressed ,
My Clothes will behind the sests 👍👌
I do drive Cars in the Wet , thsts why I think its a problem 👍😂

GJH

Reaction score
My Evora has a similar effect with how the water runs off the hatch sides. You quickly get used to opening it part-way to let it drain onto the wings rather than the engine bay or boot.

If you’re worried about the engine getting wet, I assume you don’t drive cars in the rain?
I'm not worried about it, I just think that designing in making the boot wet when it rains is a bizarre "feature".

From what I have read on here the "that's just how Lotus do things" argument seems to be generally accepted.

Not by me I'm afraid, but as I said it would not in itself make me withdraw my deposit.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The boot doesn’t get wet when it rains. Sometimes when you open a wet boot it might let a few drops into the boot area but mainly the water goes over the wings or into the engine bay. There’s a simple way to avoid this happening.

It’s funny how some people seem determined to turn a minor and easily-avoided problem into another reason to get their pitchforks out 🤷‍♂️

OP
C

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it, I just think that designing in making the boot wet when it rains is a bizarre "feature".

From what I have read on here the "that's just how Lotus do things" argument seems to be generally accepted.

Not by me I'm afraid, but as I said it would not in itself make me withdraw my deposit.
Its not a big priblem , but it does just show the lack of attention to detail , it is clear for all to see , it seems a strange thing to ignore , if you are going to be using the car in tge Rain 😳
I hate it where products mare made for form not function , it is very easy to have both .

SuperBusa

Reaction score
The one thing that surprised me with the Emira design was that there was no boot in the front bonnet area, like so many other cars have 🤷
As to this boot being a problem, not really, it just needs thinking about before you open it, I suspect I'd keep a cloth in the car to wipe excess water off before opening. Simple quick and easy solution.

OP
C

Chadder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The boot doesn’t get wet when it rains. Sometimes when you open a wet boot it might let a few drops into the boot area but mainly the water goes over the wings or into the engine bay. There’s a simple way to avoid this happening.

It’s funny how some people seem determined to turn a minor and easily-avoided problem into another reason to get their pitchforks out 🤷‍♂️
Maybe all thouse people that have owned Lotus Cars , in the passed , put up ith these "Fectures " but if this Car is to appeal to a wider Public , they need to address these issues ,

Its just a joke !

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sure, if given the choice I would like the water to run off somewhere else. However, in this case, we have the priority of the car's styling design and the functional requirements for cooling, both of which are more important than getting the engine a little wet or some drops of water in the trunk after a rain.

It's not optimal, I agree, but I can see why it works this way and the compromise is worth it to, IMO.

Maybe they can change to struts that would rate limit the rise of the trunk lid so that it can only go up so fast as it would take to drain the water off slowly.