• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION How bad does the boot/trunk heat get?

ggazso

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!
Rumor has it: enemy of ice cream and will keep your pizza take-out warm. Think warming tray. Not what you'd expect from an ICE car.

somer82

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It gets a little warm, but not hot for me - after a normal 3 hour non-stop drive I did recently I estimate mine was around 40 degrees Celsius. No issues at all on short grocery runs, but on longer trips some pre-planning would be advisable. It may be enough to have insulated bags for your groceries if your trip is longer than say 20 mins.

emirahl

Reaction score
it is getting warm, not hot.
Much less hot than the trunk of the MX 5, which gets really hot from the exhaust pipe underneath.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Like others have said, it gets warm but nothing extreme or dangerous. There is good ventilation around the engine and heatshielding in place between the engine and trunk area. Obviously, it'd be a good idea to put the ice cream and other perishable groceries in the back storage area of the main cabin just to be safe.

Pro tip: For long summer road trips in my Evora, I always remind my wife to put her makeup bag in the back seats vs the trunk. That stuff can melt too apparently. 🫠

OP
ggazso

ggazso

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It might make the perfect Uber Eats vehicle - fast delivery to boot! :ROFLMAO:
I do like the idea of it helping to keep food warm, not going to lie. :ROFLMAO:

Like others have said, it gets warm but nothing extreme or dangerous. There is good ventilation around the engine and heatshielding in place between the engine and trunk area. Obviously, it'd be a good idea to put the ice cream and other perishable groceries in the back storage area of the main cabin just to be safe.

I was mainly worried that it would ruin food outright given how some people have described it in videos, but only having to keep stuff that melts easily out of there is absolutely acceptable.

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I do like the idea of it helping to keep food warm, not going to lie. :ROFLMAO:

I was mainly worried that it would ruin food outright given how some people have described it in videos, but only having to keep stuff that melts easily out of there is absolutely acceptable.
It is completely fine for normal use

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I do my weekly shopping with the Emira and transporting ice cream is not a good idea😂😂😂 It gets warm but not hot…

Reaction score
Paid my 2nd deposit on the i4 a month ago, hoping for Q1 or Q2 delivery to Washington State dealer, but of course crickets from Lotus. I've heard the trunk is not as hot on the i4, I'll advise after I get some miles on it!

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've heard the trunk is not as hot on the i4, I'll advise after I get some miles on it!
Not sure about that. The turbo is at the rear of the engine compartment, so close to the front of the luggage space. I can't imagine that space being cooler than the V6 variant.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Paid my 2nd deposit on the i4 a month ago, hoping for Q1 or Q2 delivery to Washington State dealer, but of course crickets from Lotus. I've heard the trunk is not as hot on the i4, I'll advise after I get some miles on it!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from the information provided to dealers that was discussed in the USA/Canada thread the I4 is now not expected in NA until early 2025.

Joshbr32

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from the information provided to dealers that was discussed in the USA/Canada thread the I4 is now not expected in NA until early 2025.
God I hope not, I was told I would be getting mine in Feb 2024 :(

Otherwise, does anyone know if this warming issue affects both the V6 and I4 or just the V6?

Reaction score
I just heard about this via a YouTube video also! If this is true I'll be having a serious discussion with my dealer.

Joshbr32

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just heard about this via a YouTube video also! If this is true I'll be having a serious discussion with my dealer.
Not happening. i4 is delayed until 2025 in North America.

This is also news to me, I'm not a fan of how I found this out on the forums over a week later after this became public instead of the dealership contacting me... also despite me being in contact with him recently last week for other reasons.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I do my weekly shopping with the Emira and transporting ice cream is not a good idea😂😂😂 It gets warm but not hot…
Not sure about that. The turbo is at the rear of the engine compartment, so close to the front of the luggage space. I can't imagine that space being cooler than the V6 variant.
How about the fact cooling issues arose with the i4 application in Emira, necessitating an additional engine compartment fan and shrowd ducting.

PaulMc

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
It could easily be insulated I'm sure with a little ingenuity