• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION How bad does the boot/trunk heat get?

ggazso

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Paid my 2nd deposit on the i4 a month ago, hoping for Q1 or Q2 delivery to Washington State dealer, but of course crickets from Lotus. I've heard the trunk is not as hot on the i4, I'll advise after I get some miles on it!
This is also news to me, I'm not a fan of how I found this out on the forums over a week later after this became public instead of the dealership contacting me... also despite me being in contact with him recently last week for other reasons.
Don't think the dealers were aware until the "big" NA dealers call with Lotus - they were reaching out to reservation holders for their build codes through Oct. and part of Nov. then Lotus dropped the hammer in November. It really seemed like a bait & switch to me, by Lotus, using the dealers to unknowingly do their dirty work. I received the same calls - "need to lock in with build code, you will receive the email from Lotus after the 20th of the month with build and delivery months, expect Nov./Dec. build with Feb./Mar. delivery". No email arrived, that's when I started asking questions.. Even better, in the middle of all that was the job posting for an Emission Engineer position at Hethel.. Fun Times..

danmessy

Reaction score
I take a rule of thumb if I don't want it melting and the trip is more than say 15 min, put it in the passenger footwell or behind the seat (which actually is quite good storage)
I also warn my partner if she's puts an overnight bag in, see above rule

That said, no actual issues have arisen

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We have a pair of matching leather bags chosen to fit the boot space and have had no issues with heat, even though they've been in there all day and the car driven reasonably hard. That includes my wife's makeup bag.

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!
I was concerned seeing those videos, but in reality it has not been a problem. After drives of 3-4 hours, the boot is not hot by any means. Having had tote-bags and briefcase/laptop in the boot, they have been mildly warm on the surface after a long drive, but nothing sufficient to heat up anything in the bags (at least not that I have seen to date).

While it would be fine to do the shopping run (I have not dared leave mine in a supermarket carpark ) I would definitely not put frozen stuff in the boot if it the trip back was any length.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How about the fact cooling issues arose with the i4 application in Emira, necessitating an additional engine compartment fan and shrowd ducting.
FYI the Mercedes A45 and A45S have the same fan and cooling shroud. It's a standard feature of the motor, not an extreme measure developed by Lotus.

OP
ggazso

ggazso

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was concerned seeing those videos, but in reality it has not been a problem. After drives of 3-4 hours, the boot is not hot by any means. Having had tote-bags and briefcase/laptop in the boot, they have been mildly warm on the surface after a long drive, but nothing sufficient to heat up anything in the bags (at least not that I have seen to date).

While it would be fine to do the shopping run (I have not dared leave mine in a supermarket carpark ) I would definitely not put frozen stuff in the boot if it the trip back was any length.
I think that puts all fears to rest. I rarely have to drive 3-4 hours, so it sounds like I've got nothing to worry about (except with ice cream, I guess).