❔ QUESTION Manual opening of boot( trunk)

M100man

Reaction score
Can someone please post a video of how to open the boot from the interior of the car behind the passenger seat . Apparently there is a manual way to do it . I’ve just taken delivery of the car and the boot is stuck shut . It was ok on the first day but not now.

• Face Palm
Reactions: DJS

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It takes a long press of the button to open the boot... Before using the below, make sure you've held it long enough.

Screenshot_20230305-081401.png

OP
M100man

M100man

Reaction score
It takes a long press of the button to open the boot... Before using the below, make sure you've held it long enough.

View attachment 23393
I think it’s jammed because on day 1 the rear lights would stay on if the boot wasn’t closed properly. Now the lights go off but the picture of the car on the dashboard is showing a flashing red boot . Also I have realised you have to keep pushing the button at the front of the car for successful operation but not on this occasion. I will try tomorrow as per your picture thanks

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Try pressing on the boot from right and left side at the same time (both hands), maybe it's not properly latched from one of the sides.
After that, try again to open by pressing either the dash bottom or the remote for more than 2 seconds.
Good luck!

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Try pressing on the boot from right and left side at the same time (both hands), maybe it's not properly latched from one of the sides.
After that, try again to open by pressing either the dash bottom or the remote for more than 2 seconds.
Good luck!
Second that. If it's not properly closed the tailgate will sit up a little from it's closed position and there'll be a warning on the driver display silhouette. Also the rear lights stay on when you lock the car.

As others have said press down on either side of the tailgate where the pressure pads are, possibly also over the central latch. Then it's properly closed and the dash and remote buttons will open it after a long press. You'll hear it unlatch.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 23393
If you do need to get to the emergency release cable, it’s worth using a torch to look in there and make sure you locate the loop in the picture. It’s relatively high up in the cavity once you remove the cover panel and below it are a bunch of electrical cables. It’s conceivable to grab the wrong thing and pull. Which would not be good.

OP
M100man

M100man

Reaction score
If you do need to get to the emergency release cable, it’s worth using a torch to look in there and make sure you locate the loop in the picture. It’s relatively high up in the cavity once you remove the cover panel and below it are a bunch of electrical cables. It’s conceivable to grab the wrong thing and pull. Which would not be good.
Thanks I appreciate your information. Will take a torch to look at it tomorrow

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks I appreciate your information. Will take a torch to look at it tomorrow

You may want to hedge a bit against the possiblity that the latch itself may be defective. In that case there's a real possibility that you might not be able to re-close the boot lid after opening it. If your dealer isn't genuinely inconvenient to visit, it may be a safer bet to take the car to them for diagnosis and resolution, rather than having a car with a rear hatch that won't close and a need to then transport it for service.

I mean, personally I would cowboy it and see what happens. But no smart person should attempt to emulate my decision-making, it's consistently dodgy.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One other thing to try. This is an old Evora trick. It was possible for the boot seal and two boot supporting posts to be pushing up with slightly too much force that the latch was “held” by the striker pin and when you pressed the button the latch was not able to release. (Not sure I have explained that very well). The trick was to lean down on the hatch as you pressed and held the boot button. This took the pressure off the latch and allowed it to release. The two rubber support posts just needed to be slightly adjusted to allow the catch to release on the button. May be worth giving this a try given the car is brand new and the seals etc will still be settling down.

OP
M100man

M100man

Reaction score
You may want to hedge a bit against the possiblity that the latch itself may be defective. In that case there's a real possibility that you might not be able to re-close the boot lid after opening it. If your dealer isn't genuinely inconvenient to visit, it may be a safer bet to take the car to them for diagnosis and resolution, rather than having a car with a rear hatch that won't close and a need to then transport it for service.

I mean, personally I would cowboy it and see what happens. But no smart person should attempt to emulate my decision-making, it's consistently dodgy.
I think I will phone B&C tomorrow and ask their opinion before taking the car apart .

OP
M100man

M100man

Reaction score
^^ What they said! Have a friend or family member push the button while you push down firmly on the trunk lid.
This is the solution to my problem and a big thanks to Porter . However this indicates a problem since it’s the only way to open the boot .

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is the solution to my problem and a big thanks to Porter . However this indicates a problem since it’s the only way to open the boot .
You shouldn't have to press down on the tailgate and press the dash or fob button at the same time. If you can see that the tailgate isn't completely down, then press down with both hands on the outer points over the pressure pads. If that doesn't secure it press down over the central latch too. When it's properly closed , then press either button for a couple of seconds until you hear it audibly open.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You may find it sorts itself out as the seals compress. On the Evora you could wind the bump stops in and out slightly and adjust them yourself or a 5 min job for the dealer. The Emira bump stops are fitted to the underside of the hatch and I should imagine they work in a similar way. It should be a 5 min job for the dealer.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You shouldn't have to press down on the tailgate and press the dash or fob button at the same time. If you can see that the tailgate isn't completely down, then press down with both hands on the outer points over the pressure pads. If that doesn't secure it press down over the central latch too. When it's properly closed , then press either button for a couple of seconds until you hear it audibly open.
The OP issue was the boot was stuck shut.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can see the bump stops in the image from the service manual. Between them and the seal it will give a certain springiness to closing the hatch. Some have commented that they need to lean on these points to close the hatch properly but either that or the drop from a bit of a height works fine for closing it. The springiness shows the seal is pushing up against the lid and making the seal watertight, also supported by the bump stops.
The OPs issue was occasionally seen in Evora circles when the cars were quite new. It’s a balance to get the back pressure right with a new car but as seen here, if it’s a little too much it can “grab” the striker and stop the lock mechanism from releasing. Once you know what’s going on it becomes a non issue.
4E03BA72-9EB6-478E-8F38-A279D8560CEE.jpeg

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Twist the bump stops 90 degrees to unlock, then you can push/pull them in or out then twist back to lock in position.