• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Manual opening of boot( trunk)

M100man

Reaction score
Can someone please post a video of how to open the boot from the interior of the car behind the passenger seat . Apparently there is a manual way to do it . I’ve just taken delivery of the car and the boot is stuck shut . It was ok on the first day but not now.

• Face Palm
Reactions: DJS

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Twist the bump stops 90 degrees to unlock, then you can push/pull them in or out then twist back to lock in position.
Do they not thread in and out? You're saying they just have a lock position, with multiple grooves for different heights?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can see the bump stops in the image from the service manual. Between them and the seal it will give a certain springiness to closing the hatch. Some have commented that they need to lean on these points to close the hatch properly but either that or the drop from a bit of a height works fine for closing it. The springiness shows the seal is pushing up against the lid and making the seal watertight, also supported by the bump stops.
The OPs issue was occasionally seen in Evora circles when the cars were quite new. It’s a balance to get the back pressure right with a new car but as seen here, if it’s a little too much it can “grab” the striker and stop the lock mechanism from releasing. Once you know what’s going on it becomes a non issue.
View attachment 23431
Adding a small bit of lithium grease to the inner surface of the latch and the underside of the striker also helps. I mean small, like a dollop the size of a grain of rice. Just enough to reduce the stiction.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do they not thread in and out? You're saying they just have a lock position, with multiple grooves for different heights?
Yes, exactly that.
157EB19E-63BB-44CC-8CAD-3947F28A1CA2.jpeg

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha. The darn boot.

Great info on the manual release. I am bound to need it at some point.

Nearly every time I get in the car, the boot has mysteriously reopened. Closing it is really a technique if you want it to last.

My 'issue':

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On my car you can simply let the tailgate fall down from roughly 10cm of height and it closes with a nice, positive sound. If yours doesn’t behave like that, it needs some adjustment ;) probably not only the bump stops, but also the latch.

Last edited:
OP
M100man

M100man

Reaction score
I’ve spoken to B&C and the boot needs to be adjusted. It’s definitely not sitting right .

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve spoken to B&C and the boot needs to be adjusted. It’s definitely not sitting right .
Adjust the bump stops on the boot. Basically on mine, one bump stop on right side is longer than the left 🤔 from factory. The bump stops are used to align the shut panels in the boot correctly and also the ability to close with a slight drop from 10cm. It’s got to be just right. I’ve adjusted mine slightly as previously my boot was always open.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you do need to get to the emergency release cable, it’s worth using a torch to look in there and make sure you locate the loop in the picture. It’s relatively high up in the cavity once you remove the cover panel and below it are a bunch of electrical cables. It’s conceivable to grab the wrong thing and pull. Which would not be good.
Agree. At the factory handover Scott said exactly that. There are wires in there as well as the release.

Note also that on the demo car it was a black plastic pull cord (looked a bit like a cable tie) not red per the diagram in the manual.

LotHus

Reaction score
One other thing to try. This is an old Evora trick. It was possible for the boot seal and two boot supporting posts to be pushing up with slightly too much force that the latch was “held” by the striker pin and when you pressed the button the latch was not able to release. (Not sure I have explained that very well). The trick was to lean down on the hatch as you pressed and held the boot button. This took the pressure off the latch and allowed it to release. The two rubber support posts just needed to be slightly adjusted to allow the catch to release on the button. May be worth giving this a try given the car is brand new and the seals etc will still be settling down.
Worked for me. Nice tip.