After 2,000 miles without problem, is it all about to go wrong?

GregD

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So, 4 months in and 2,000 miles on the clock without a single issue - until yesterday !!!

The irony - since owning the car (purchased in October 2023), whenever I've taken it out it's rained! However, yesterday was beautiful and sunny (here in South Wales - a rare exception) so the first opportunity to enjoy this car in sunny weather.

First indication that something was wrong was reversing out of my driveway - where had the reversing camera grid lines gone? The functionality was switched on and I toggled it a few times to try and kick it into life - no joy, but I thought just a minor glitch so wasn't deterred and started my drive onwards.

17 miles into the journey, the amber Malfunction symbol pops up on the dashboard and remains illuminated, so I gingerly decided to return home at reduced speed (as instructed per page 64 of the Emira handbook).

When driving back, I could see that the display was indicating my boot was open - the boot lid was illuminated red on the dashboard - that was quite strange as I'd not opened the boot for a few weeks! On closer inspection it was open and furthermore it proved impossible to close! After taking a closer look, the inside of the boot was damp, therefore, I presume this could have been an issue for a few weeks unnoticed to myself! Now when trying to lock the boot the steel U-bend bar will not lock into the mechanism no matter what method you try to utilise. The 2 rubber stoppers to the left and right of the boot are set as low as possible, therefore, the U bend bar is hitting the lock, but it's just not catching and locking!

I'm guessing somewhat here, but I can only assume some water ingress into the boot has maybe seized the lock (did give it a little spray of WD40, but that didn't help) and potentially affected the electrics somewhat ?

Strangely enough, after switching the car off for an hour then restarting, the amber Malfunction symbol has now disappeared and after a quick 20 mile drive (with an unlocked boot) it's remained that way, so I'm happy about that, however, the other 2 issues remain!

I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Thanks,

Greg.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's bad luck.
I would take it to the dealer, fix the boot lock, check battery and reset. Seems like humidity and electrical doesn´t go together, and maybe it was draining your battery

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Once the car knows the boot is closed, your reversing grid lines will re-appear.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is it possible your boot latch is latched? Use the human trafficking release on the inside of the boot and see if it releases the latch, then try to press the boot lid closed.

OP
G

GregD

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the above advise. I pulled that boot release strap thing a few times and problem solved! Not sure if the boot locking mechanism had become a bit corroded due to water ingress, but it's working fine now. Oh, and the reversing camera grid lines have now magically re-appeared so happy days and a trip to the Lotus Dealership has been avoided.

Cheers,

Greg.