Interesting pre-delivery call from Customer Care - parts on back order

James DG

Reaction score
Hi All

Just had a call from Customer Care. Very polite chap advising me that my black-wheeled car will be arriving (latest I hear is in January) with silver wheel bolts as the black ones are on back order.

They said they would be swapped out at a Lotus centre once they're back in stock.

Doesn't bother me at all but perhaps an indicator of the challenges facing the supply chain. Who knows, may turn out to be a natty little design feature!

I'm also waiting for a timing belt for my Exige which apparently Lotus can't get hold of either.

OP
James DG

James DG

Reaction score
1670846199193.png

Perhaps not an uncommon problem...

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Those Eliseparts bolts are the traditional Lotus spline ones.
The Emira has gone to ordinary 17or19mm hex heads with one security key bolt.
I rather they’d stayed with the splines as they at least were a first line of defence against theft.
Your average opportunist thief wouldn’t have a spline key.
And before you say it, I don’t like security wheel bolts. Ugly and prone to failure.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Car manufacturers have complicated sourcing procedures. I am, of course, not privy to all of the details, but they may require a variety of inspection/testing/quality/safety certifications from the factory, batch control, chain of custody verification, and labeling requirements. These requirements preclude them from making a purchase from the open market - they can only source directly from previously vetted vendors. The vendor may have the item in stock but not in the manner that Lotus needs them in terms of labeling and batch tracking. The stock the vendors send to their distributors has been commingled and no longer satisfies Lotus' requirements.

This is how car manufacturers can say a such-and-such issue with a specific part affected only certain date ranges or serial numbers of builds.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At least it’s only the wheel bolts and they told you in advance. Some manufacturers have delivered cars with electronic systems such as reversing sensors omitted due to chip supply issues, with customers only finding out at delivery.

OP
James DG

James DG

Reaction score
Indeed. Not an issue and at least I was informed as you say.

Would probably accept further (temporary) deletions if it meant I'd get my car sooner!

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All

Just had a call from Customer Care. Very polite chap advising me that my black-wheeled car will be arriving (latest I hear is in January) with silver wheel bolts as the black ones are on back order.

They said they would be swapped out at a Lotus centre once they're back in stock.

Doesn't bother me at all but perhaps an indicator of the challenges facing the supply chain. Who knows, may turn out to be a natty little design feature!

I'm also waiting for a timing belt for my Exige which apparently Lotus can't get hold of either.
Re Cam belt - I have a real Exige with the quality Rover engine and just had a belt on a fortnight ago so they are available 🤷‍♂️

and 🤡 (y)

And..

Seriously surely this is the approach to take with all the delays. Just man up and tell folk. The change in attitude towards Lotus will be transformed. Porsche told me during build the headlights I wanted were now unavailable i wont be charged for em. It was tough tit. I suppose Porsche can get away with that approach but what choice did i have. Someone would had had my slot in a heartbeat had I told them to copulate with themselves etc...

OP
James DG

James DG

Reaction score
I actually believe it’s the Exige supercharger auxiliary belt I’m waiting for so I’ve misled people somewhat. Shows the extent of my mechanical knowledge!

It’s all part of a rather expensive service I wouldn’t have had to carry out had the Emira arrived on time, but I’ve made my peace with all that. It’s only money. And time.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All

let´s not panic.

Could be a little worse. At least it comes with wheel bolts 😜

Now seriously, it shows they are trying.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just had the same call... from a nice guy called Lorenzo...

Does the silver wheel bolts call now count as an official part of the checkout process for black wheeled cars?

Deposit, Deposit, Enhance & Protect email, Random selection of marketing emails, Checkout email, more random marketing emails, Wheel bolt email, then and only then the delivery date email/call?

Do I dare to dream or has experience taught me to expect a few more unexpected steps!!?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just had the same call... from a nice guy called Lorenzo...

Does the silver wheel bolts call now count as an official part of the checkout process for black wheeled cars?

Deposit, Deposit, Enhance & Protect email, Random selection of marketing emails, Checkout email, more random marketing emails, Wheel bolt email, then and only then the delivery date email/call?

Do I dare to dream or has experience taught me to expect a few more unexpected steps!!?
I don't understand this call as I've seen a number of black wheel models with the silver bolts already, black would be better of course but didn't realise black was the requirement...

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe they all had phone calls confirming at some point?

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm still not convinced CS and the factory communicate. I have an unanswered spec query from nearly 2 weeks ago...

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't understand this call as I've seen a number of black wheel models with the silver bolts already, black would be better of course but didn't realise black was the requirement...
My Evora S has had black wheels and silver bolts since it was built in 2014 🤣

Last edited:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Thinking back, in the past, I've just used black lug bolt caps when I switched to black/dark colored wheels. The lug bolt caps double as anti-theft feature.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking back, in the past, I've just used black lug bolt caps when I switched to black/dark colored wheels. The lug bolt caps double as anti-theft feature.

They're cleaner too! I didn't realize this was an aftermarket option, but my VWs came with black wheel bolt covers and I really like them as finisher pieces. As you said, they double as anti-theft covers and they prevent that part of the wheel from getting too dirty, which depending on wheel style, can be a pain to clean.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For Chevrolet and Cadillac the black lug nuts are an extra option instead of the standard Chrome.