Henry Catchpole - Carfection review

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to conclude that Henry is "pissed off at Lotus" I've followed his reviews for years and he has always struck me as fair and balanced. He's writing what he believes . . . whether or not it's what we'd hoped to read is a different matter.

I think Lotus made a real error giving cars with the Sport set-up to journalists. They should have held track days with the Sport set-up and only provided the Touring spec for standard road tests.
totally agree… why didn’t lotus give Journos Tour spec cars for road tests?? Not many reviews had Tour!

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is going to burt a few buttholes but not everyone is going to like the Emira,this is proven here.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion,let them have it,you don't have to like it.

It's Horses for the courses,Henry may prefer the other for the track feel as he's that way inclined, if I wanted a track car I'd go for the other choice too,not the Emira.

But if you're going for looks and Lotus nostalgia,go for the Lotus ,hands down.

Fairplays to Henry for having an opinion and not searching for likes.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
But if you're going for looks and Lotus nostalgia, go for the Lotus, hands down.
Well said. This is the answer to pretty much all the comparison questions. If I were a holistic lifestyle coach (I am not) I would prescribe this as a mantra to everyone on this forum who is finding the wait unbearable!

Honeywell

Reaction score
Guys. Motoring journalists are prostitutes and the pimps are the few aspirational car brands.

The people who click, the people who buy car mags are all car guys.

The Auto Industry spends BILLIONS on advertising. There are maybe a few hundred journalists and influencers out there with any reach.

If you are not listening to reviewers who have already made the work money and owe nothing to anybody (Clarkson, May, Hammond for example or now Chris Harris) then you are listening to people who are pimped by car companies. Henry's reappraising Of the heavy FUGLY BMW M fat boy car is entirely reasonable given his ongoing need to pay his mortgage.

Lotus cannot spend money and host lavish launches like BMW and VW.

You need to read between the lines. Money talks in car journalism just like in every other profession.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to conclude that Henry is "pissed off at Lotus" I've followed his reviews for years and he has always struck me as fair and balanced. He's writing what he believes . . . whether or not it's what we'd hoped to read is a different matter.

I think Lotus made a real error giving cars with the Sport set-up to journalists. They should have held track days with the Sport set-up and only provided the Touring spec for standard road tests.
100% it is what it is.
I honestly think Lotus have messed up trying to make something for everyone. This may well have been a top down decision to ensure global success.
However with the production numbers we are talking about it would have been far better to have produced a more refined yet truly focused drivers car with associated accolades that future models could have played off #forthedrivers
I haven't driven it and I will reserve final judgement until I do but from everything I've read it's sitting in this weird no man's land between a Sports and GT car

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
100% it is what it is.
I honestly think Lotus have messed up trying to make something for everyone. This may well have been a top down decision to ensure global success.
However with the production numbers we are talking about it would have been far better to have produced a more refined yet truly focused drivers car with associated accolades that future models could have played off #forthedrivers
I haven't driven it and I will reserve final judgement until I do but from everything I've read it's sitting in this weird no man's land between a Sports and GT car
It's worth rewatching harrys garage again. I think he nails so many points about the car from the pre production units he was given. Also the context of a road car driven on uk roads was important to me.
There's an interesting quote where he says it feels like this car could have come out years ago, it's not a criticism. He's highlighting (apart from exterior
design) it's a tried and tested formula... but not advancing the product on much... which was fine by him.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's worth rewatching harrys garage again. I think he nails so many points about the car from the pre production units he was given. Also the context of a road car driven on uk roads was important to me.
There's an interesting quote where he says it feels like this car could have come out years ago, it's not a criticism. He's highlighting (apart from exterior
design) it's a tried and tested formula... but not advancing the product on much... which was fine by him.
He does drive and own a lot of classics....
If I wanted a Morgan I'd have gone to Morgan 🙃😉😋

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
He's a motoring journalist.

He's had an experience he can write about, its more content why wouldn't he?

Means nothing to me just 'meh'

To me that bimmer looks completely ghastly (as they now pretty much all do) and I don't care how good it is I would walk anywhere than get in one (I appreciate they are mostly fine machines).

Its just my opinion they are not for everyone

Comparing is boring and in this case apples and oranges.

I know a man who fitted Ohlin's to a stock Evora 400 (he does stuff for the factory so....) and it made it incredible.

If you think its sh!t, when it arrives (and can afford it), bang some Ohlins on. Hey presto all is well.

That's my plan anyway but I'm not near a good enough to criticise the stock set up whatever it turns out like!!!!

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've just booked a trip beginning first weekend in September. I'll be heading to the Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, Hethel and the Alps. I have bookings for an Audi TT (Germany), MX-5 (Alps), Emira (Driving Academy), 718 (Silverstone) and I'm looking for an A110 for a 2 day stop around Monaco - driven in that order.

When all is done, I'll be able to clear all of this up lol.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've just booked a trip beginning first weekend in September. I'll be heading to the Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, Hethel and the Alps. I have bookings for an Audi TT (Germany), MX-5 (Alps), Emira (Driving Academy), 718 (Silverstone) and I'm looking for an A110 for a 2 day stop around Monaco - driven in that order.

I like your life 🤩🥰🤣

timbo999

Reaction score

Just to say, in case its of any use, you can drive A110 and A110S at Thruxton (not quite Monaco but it does bill itself as the fastest circuit in the country!).

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just to say, in case its of any use, you can drive A110 and A110S at Thruxton (not quite Monaco but it does bill itself as the fastest circuit in the country!).

Ohhh that's helpful thank you, I'll look into it. I drove one before at Portimao, but when I cross roads off the bucket list I try to match the most appropriate car. Monaco is really about hitting Col de Turini so I was looking for something locally (that wouldn't break the bank because clearly I'm spending a lot elsewhere!)

I had seen one at Sixt but when I switched my dates it disappeared, and now I can't find it in their inventory anywhere - even far in the future.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
From my experience going up the hill at Goodwood and feedback from the LDA sessions, the brakes on the Emira are phenomenal. Even better than the Evora, where the brakes are one of the strong points of the car.
we did brake testing and avoidance on track and from 60, 80 and even around 100mph I also thought the breaks were great, as good as any porsche I'd experienced and they usually focus on their breaks as much as their speed. We tried with ABS on and tried to just have the front ABS acting without the back ABS, which was tricky, but possible

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Ohhh that's helpful thank you, I'll look into it. I drove one before at Portimao, but when I cross roads off the bucket list I try to match the most appropriate car. Monaco is really about hitting Col de Turini so I was looking for something locally (that wouldn't break the bank because clearly I'm spending a lot elsewhere!)

I had seen one at Sixt but when I switched my dates it disappeared, and now I can't find it in their inventory anywhere - even far in the future.
Nice Instagram photos, now following :)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Uh... can... can I come with? 🤯

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Uh... can... can I come with?
🤯

Sure! ;)

Wouldn't be the first time it turned into a multi-car trip. I once planned a run through Norway to hit Trollstigen, Atlantic Ocean Road, Lysevegan, Stalheimskleiva, and a few of the tourist routes, and when a few of my driving buddies found out about it they rather impulsively rented their own cars, got some walkie talkies and we had ourselves a little top-gear style adventure...

1660055966100.png

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sure! ;)

Wouldn't be the first time it turned into a multi-car trip. I once planned a run through Norway to hit Trollstigen, Atlantic Ocean Road, Lysevegan, Stalheimskleiva, and a few of the tourist routes, and when a few of my driving buddies found out about it they rather impulsively rented their own cars, got some walkie talkies and we had ourselves a little top-gear style adventure...

View attachment 8012
That's pretty damn cool! Just gave you a follow on the gram as well. Good on you for living the dream!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sure! ;)

I have a crew like this from around the SE US. We gather every year or so for a long weekend of driving insane roads in remote places.